21 one year old man gets 10 days in jail for missing jury duty.

ALways was scared they would show up to work and arrest me.

I throw them away every time.

Saying "I didnt give a shit about this so I didn't show up in time" is a pretty bad thing for him to do then.

Yes it is. But the punishment should also fit the offense. that's the new story here

I've been selected for Jury Duty a couple of times. They would have me call a number the night before to see if the trial was still going forward. Each time the case was already settled,so I didn't have to go.

That being said it is pretty well known and explains in the letter that missing Jury Duty is considered contempt of court and can result in jail time and or fines. This does seem excessive, but it's not like the person didn't know there was going to be consequences.

Either way the only reason CNN is reporting on this is because the kid is black, and they're trying to push some bullshit racism angle. It's not uncommon for people to face punishment for skipping jury duty.

The judge originally sentenced Somerville to 10 days in jail, 150 hours of community service, a written apology of at least 100 words, a year of probation and $233 in fees, according to court records.

What?!?!?!?
That's a little bit hardcore don't ya think?

That's fucked up. In my county the courthouse doesn't have a parking lot for jurors. Meanwhile, there are all kinds of vacant buildings in my county with ample parking lots that they could relocate the courthouse to.

I've been selected for Jury Duty a couple of times. They would have me call a number the night before to see if the trial was still going forward. Each time the case was already settled,so I didn't have to go.

That being said it is pretty well known and explains in the letter that missing Jury Duty is considered contempt of court and can result in jail time and or fines. This does seem excessive, but it's not like the person didn't know there was going to be consequences.

Either way the only reason CNN is reporting on this is because the kid is black, and they're trying to push some bullshit racism angle. It's not uncommon for people to face punishment for skipping jury duty.

It's being reported by multiple news outlets.

Sweet But CNN deflection though.

Yes it is. But the punishment should also fit the offense. that's the new story here

Alright cool. I just wanted to make sure we all knew that this dude was told straight to his face that if he fucked this up he'd go to jail. He goes ahead and fucks it up, said he didn't think it was all that serious, gets sent to jail, and now we're all supposed to be outraged.

I do not understand this mentality.

Wtf? How is this a free country if they're forcing people to do shit?

If I was that guy I would go in and literally send everyone to prison for the most biased stupid reasoning and after a while they'll know not to call me for jury duty.

Just show up drunk and tell them "he's definitely guilty of murder I can tell by his body language"

And everyone else is like: "this is a traffic violation case there's no murder"

Here's a pro tip for all you judge cunts - If someone is neglecting to do community service, simply keep tacking on community service, and only threaten with jail when absolutely needed. In this way, you not only save taxpayer money by not having to feed and monitor a human being 24/7, you also increase the amount the person has to help their community.

Btw if someone is so irresponsible that they won't show up to jury duty, you probably don't want them deciding people's fates

Alright cool. I just wanted to make sure we all knew that this dude was told straight to his face that if he fucked this up he'd go to jail. He goes ahead and fucks it up, said he didn't think it was all that serious, gets sent to jail, and now we're all supposed to be outraged.

I do not understand this mentality.

Yeah, you didn't read the story.

I already spoon fed the issue at hand. Comments on the actual issue? Or just the generalized nonsense

Similar sentence to Felicity Huffman's for bribing her kids into college.

Yeah, you didn't read the story.

I already spoon fed the issue at hand. Comments on the actual issue? Or just the generalized nonsense

Uhhh, alright. I've been talking about the guy getting sent to jail after telling a judge he didnt think showing up on time as a juror was that important. What issue are you talking about?

LOL, that's funny, 'cause I was actually tempted to do that when I got it. Just leave it in the mail box/throw it away and pretend I never received it. When I read up on it though, I was like "Wait, I can just say I have some medical condition with no doctor's note?", and did just that. No fuss, no muss.
They've cracked down on the excuses they let you get away with a lot at least here in Nevada. You're better off just ignoring it.

These assholes have too much power. Who do they think they are? How can anyone say we live on a free country?

The best way to get out of being selected for Jury Duty if by telling them that you can tell is someone is guilty just by looking at them.

This kid fucked up though as he was already selected and never bothered to call them or do anything when he "Slept in"

Ehh, that is too long for missing jury duty. Take his time by making him do 30 hrs community service.

Who knows, maybe it cost 500k or whatever to get everyone there and then this 1 guy doesnt show up.
Make him feel the world does not revolve around him and lock him up for a bit, good.
These dumb kids gotta learn to do what they are supposed too.

Back