2nd language anyone?

I speak some..
German
Japanese

English, Spanish, French, German.

(German now pretty rusty but i could get it back with a few weeks 'reminder' tuition I think)

Is Czech and Serbian Croatian similar to Turkish? Hungarian is impossible as well, and Hungary is not as good as Czech. Ya zil v prage one month. I am trying to become filologist. How long you live in Prague? Wait a minute, I have an extremely odd request.... I need to pm you
No, those are Slavic languages, and Turkish is clearly not. They are not at all similar though there are some borrowed words in the countries that were once conquered by Ottoman empire.
There is a Slav equivalent of esperanto called Slovio, basically any Slav person can read it without any preparation.

I speak Russian, English and understand a tiny bit of Spanish and German.

No, those are Slavic languages, and Turkish is clearly not. They are not at all similar though there are some borrowed words in the countries that were once conquered by Ottoman empire.
There is a Slav equivalent of esperanto called Slovio, basically any Slav person can read it without any preparation.
Czech and Serbian are slavic and similar to Russian, I can speak very poor Serbian using basic Slavic words.

Hungarian is not a Slavic language, it is an Ugric language and no other language is very similar to it. I guarantee a Russian English speaker can't understand it, it has different vocab. It could be similar to Turkish, who the dick knows.

Yes and yes I talk Spanish English gibberish sarcasm and sexual innuendos

Czech and Serbian are slavic and similar to Russian, I can speak very poor Serbian using basic Slavic words.

Hungarian is not a Slavic language, it is an Ugric language and no other language is very similar to it. I guarantee a Russian English speaker can't understand it, it has different vocab. It could be similar to Turkish, who the dick knows.

Estonian is close to hungarian or atleast i remember poster from hungary saying he can understand somethings estonians say

(Finnish, estonian, hungary from same ugric tree but still different)

Estonian is close to hungarian or atleast i remember poster from hungary saying he can understand somethings estonians say

(Finnish, estonian, hungary from same ugric tree but still different)
I looked it up. They're VERY distantly related. Maybe 3000 years ago. Not similar really.

English- A black horse is slowly walking on the side of the lake
Hungarian- Fekete ló lassan megy a tó szélén
Mansi- Petge luv lasinen mini tou szilna
Finnish- Musta hevonen kävelee hitaasti järven puolella
Estonian-Järve ääres kõnnib aeglaselt must hobune

I looked it up. They're VERY distantly related. Maybe 3000 years ago. Not similar really.

English- A black horse is slowly walking on the side of the lake
Hungarian- Fekete ló lassan megy a tó szélén
Mansi- Petge luv lasinen mini tou szilna
Finnish- Musta hevonen kävelee hitaasti järven puolella
Estonian-Järve ääres kõnnib aeglaselt must hobune

When i worked with hungarians the "flow" in language was weirdly familiar but overall didnt understand shit lol

For those of you who are bilingual, do you translate to your native/strongest language in your head when using your 2nd or 3rd? Like for me I used to know some Spanish but basically thought of the english words in my head and then translated. I didnt' really hear spanish and then speak spanish. it was constant translating in my brain.

When i worked with hungarians the "flow" in language was weirdly familiar but overall didnt understand shit lol
Yeah. Estonian and Finnish sound familiar so to speak, but I can't understand either. I describe it like listening to muffled voices through a thick wall. Sounds like you guys are saying something I should understand because because it's structured like Hungarian (I'm no expert, so that may be wrong), but can't make it out whatsoever. I wonder if it'd be easier to learn Estonian or Finnish than a completely unrelated language?

For those of you who are bilingual, do you translate to your native/strongest language in your head when using your 2nd or 3rd? Like for me I used to know some Spanish but basically thought of the english words in my head and then translated. I didnt' really hear spanish and then speak spanish. it was constant translating in my brain.
English is definitely my strongest language but I still do simple math in the mother tongue. The biggest bitch is when I'm playing translator and it takes me quite a while to get smooth at it.

I can speak horrifically broken Spanish and know how to swear at people in Arabic and Russian.

Does any of you sherbros speak a 2nd language? and if so do you use both languages on a daily basis?

I'm learning a second language and it's not easy and the rewards seem to only come with proficiency.
I speak a 2nd language and use it very frequently but mostly to communicate with family.
Not really. My grasp on my 2nd language is far from perfect but what I know of it comes naturally to me.

Think of a language as a box. If you're fluent, the box is huge and organized that you don't have to rummage for the words. I'm not an native English speaker but I think in English when I'm talking to an English speaker. Exposure to movies, music, books and actually using the language in actual situations helps a lot to make the box bigger.

Back