30-27 Barber?!?!

When that 30-27 was called I was sure it was in favor for Lee.
Watching it live I felt the same way but in retrospect, it couldn't be 30-27 Lee because all three judges gave the first round to Barber.

She got taken down but did more damage from the bottom in that round by trapping one of Lee's arms between her legs and throwing elbows.

I think 29-28 Lee is a respectable score though.

People are still judging fights like it's 2005. The new scoring criteria is simple:

Who did the most damage or EFFECTIVE grappling (meaning grappling to do damage or working towards submissions) in a round? That person won the round. That is all you need to concern yourself with. Don't pay attention to who is moving forward, who is getting takedowns, who is aggressive. NONE of that matters. Who did the most damage/impact is the main scoring criteria.

Now if the round is completely even in striking/effective grappling, THEN you go to who was more aggressive in that round. It still doesn't matter who had control time. Whoever was the most aggressive wins that round. If aggression is equal THEN you go to who had control time.

Andrea Lee's takedowns counted as control. If she's just holding position, that is control time. It doesn't count unless nothing else happens. Barber landed shots on her back while Lee just held. That goes to Barber.

3-0 Barber. She landed more strikes. It's sad. Only Anik took the time to study the rules and go to a scoring/judging summit to actually learn how to score fights. He's been the saving grace on commentary. Fitzgerald mentioned tonight that Lee had 4 minutes of control time. Nice stat. It doesn't matter...
But you're equating control time with octagon control. I don't think that's correct.

Octagon control is determining the pace and place of a fight, i.e., in a kickboxing-only fight, it's typically whoever is walking forward.

Control time I consider an aspect of effective grappling. You're doing more than just dictating where the fight takes place, you're also controlling your opponent and preventing him from landing any effective offense.

Lee was getting beat up the entire fight. Barber's takedown defense was trash but Lee did jack with the takedowns. 29-28 Barber probably.

You guys are crazy - Lee was not getting beat up at all

all the damage was on maycee face

so Lee did all the damage in fact

But you're equating control time with octagon control. I don't think that's correct.

Octagon control is determining the pace and place of a fight, i.e., in a kickboxing-only fight, it's typically whoever is walking forward.

Control time I consider an aspect of effective grappling. You're doing more than just dictating where the fight takes place, you're also controlling your opponent and preventing him from landing any effective offense.

Big John (who wrote the rules) said that holding someone is considered control. For instance, Hendricks holding Lawler on the cage for 4 minutes. It's technically grappling but it's also stalling and not doing any damage/impact which is the main scoring criteria. Now if he was holding him and then hitting him with knees while Lawler does nothing, that turns into effective grappling.

Basically you have to use your grappling to strike, advance position or work for position. Basically what Holly Holm was doing last night. She was constantly moving, trying to strike and gain better position.

29-28 Lee
The decision is BS plus big dan as a judge who scored it 30-27 barber just seals it for me

I thought Barber was in danger more times but I wasn’t paying attention to strikes landed.

Only watched round 1 before I skipped to the next fight. How did Barber win round 1? She got controlled and passed into side control while striking was like 50/50 no damage. lol 30-27.

Back