39 and started Muay Thai

Skiprope

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Glad to have made the transition from lurker to member. So, I am 39 years old and just started Muay Thai for the first time. I have a San Shou and Krav background, but haven't seen the inside of a gym in years. I have kept fit through mountainbiking though and am not the unfittest in the beginner class. I was in shock after class ! I fell in love with the sport immediately and hiding on the toilet with a spinning head and aching body I couldn't help noticing my big smile on my face. The coach comes in ,asks me how I am and all I can mutter is ....top of the world....I have a few passions in my life which I hope to practice till the end, until I just can't anymore. Muay Thai has now become the 4th. And oh , my regret that I have not started earlier. Its like I have fallen in love with an angel who is 20 years younger than me. When I'm not with her, I'm thinking about her. My wife wasn't sure if it was really the sport, but when I started telling her, she realised she worried for nothing. So the big question is, what can I still achieve and how long can I go on ? Obviously I am not thinking championships here, but is an amateur fight in Thailand still in? If I want to spend time in a gym there for training, will I look completely out of place? Is it at all possible to have other fights than just sparring rounds? I am still ambitious, in good shape, but I would love to know what is still realistic for me? I train 3 to 4 times a week and one of my coaches asked me why I train so hard, but I didn't really tell him. First of all, thank you for all replies, I would love to hear from coaches , people in my shoes, or anyone else who can advise me of prolonging my time and reaching my max potential with Muay Thai. Thank you.

Honestly if you're big enough to fight above 72kg a paper belt isnt out of the question.

Just to clarify,I don't need to win anything, but really how long can I go on and is there a platform for me to compete with people in similar situations like me. Ps.. i do bjj too.

I've seen guys much older than you doing their first fight.

I'm 35 and did a fight recently again after I stopped 4-5 yrs ago. You are as old as you feel

Let your body set the limit. Not a number.

There may be a Bangla Stadium belt with your name on it...

One of the toughest sparring partners I had was 52 when I last sparred with him. Tough as nails, in great shape, kept moving forward.

Enjoy it mate but I couldn't hack it with the shin kicks and checking but it keep you youthful and bouncy.

Thank you all for your encouraging replies. It has helped me gain a more positive perspective. Do not need those negative feelings while training ! That doesnt mean that you should stop posting. Kudos to all of you ! Osu

when it comes to fighting fight years is what matters for age. you're about as young as a 25 y/o who trains since he's 12.

I'm 35 in Summer and I expect to train and fight until my 40s. However, it will be a combination of MMA and k-1.
I don't see why you can't and Muay Thai in Germany may have more opportunity (smaller Thai community in Deutschland I do believe).
Best wishes. Keep us updated if you can.

Back