41 year old Maia just shut the gate on Martins

Couldn't agree more. He didn't know what to do on the ground. I can see a 10-8 on round 3, but round 1 or 2 could have been 10-8 as well. He was dominated on the ground and to be honest I actually enjoyed Maia cruising to this victory. The dude is 41 and still showing better cardio then these youngsters.
If his cardio is so good why didn’t he just take Martin down in the 3rd instead of running for his life and faceplanting for the worst takedown attempts I’ve ever seen?

I always wanted to see him vs Wonderboy. Dont know if this is the right time, but anyway just want to see who imposes his style.
I like this matchup too. They are both top wws but far from a ts. It's the right time.

Niko Price.

If Maia wins he could go out like a boss against a young stud.

If Niko wins he gets a big name on his resume.

I honestly think Garry Tonon would submit Maia in the 1st round of an MMA fight.

Bwahahahahahahaha. hahahahahaha. hahahahahahaha.

I don't think Tonon has that much confidence in his submission skills. Particularly in his pressure game in mma. In a recent interview, he discussed the matter and I highly, highly doubt the current him would have more than an outside chance of anything other than a leg lock. His pressure game isn't at the same level while his overall grappling is. I don't think his submission game is as well adapted to mma. Yet. I think it would nullify much of Maia's traditional grappling, but I see the fight playing out similarly to how the Nelson fight worked out for his opponent.

Also, bwahahahahaha.

People who think that PEDs work in male MMA, how do you explain Demian Maia still competing at a high level against younger opponents.

According to most doctors, Maia is 10 years deep into a steady decline of testoterone (testoterone in general starts droping at age 30 and Maia is early 40's).

Also, Maia isn't a special athlete. Dude doesn't even like soccer. Brazil's favorite sport. LOL

The way I see it pro-USADA fans have to decide either Maia is on PEDs or PEDs don't work in male MMA. You can have it both ways. LOL

There are just way too many old guys dominating the UFC, while in other sports (which don't even test for PEDs) older athletes can't hang with the young lions. LOL
There is so much stupid in this post it should just be burned

Maia is a master once he lays his hands on you, if you're not man enough or strong enough to pull him off you, you're gonna get snaked, choked, or crippled.

If his cardio is so good why didn’t he just take Martin down in the 3rd instead of running for his life and faceplanting for the worst takedown attempts I’ve ever seen?

He didn't have to as he clearly won rounds 1 and 2. He understands the refs score based on 3 rounds.....................

To all the people pooping on Maia's performance, let's take a look at how Sherdog's sweethearts performed in their 40s against younger competiton:

usa_today_10130124.1498363549.jpg

PA-10628876-390x285.jpg
frankieedgar9.jpg

There is so much stupid in this post it should just be burned
Typical defense mechanism of "I don't have a clever reply," so let me throw personal insults. If you have the evidence to educate me, you would have posted it. If you had a better argument, you would have made it.

You resort to personal attacks because you can't counter my argument. Be honest with yourself.

Typical defense mechanism of "I don't have a clever reply," so let me throw personal insults. If you have the evidence to educate me, you would have posted it. If you had a better argument, you would have made it.

You resort to personal attacks because you can't counter my argument. Be honest with yourself.
If you are this far off the mark, making excuses left and right, and taking it all very personally, then you are beyond reach.

Other sports rely more heavily on specific athletic traits while MMA has a HUGE enthasist on overall skillset (which is heavily influed by experience and longevity)

Not only you have to realize most people start competiting in MMA extremely late compared to most sports. A 22 year old football player has played/competed 4 years highschool and 3-4 years college even before they can even try out for a pro team. A 22 year old MMA fighter is like maybe a purple belt in BJJ with a few glorified exibition matches
How does this argument refute what I stated?

Well... you sure are consistent. You do you bud.
Of course, I will be consistent. My position is backed by the evidence. I think the best PEDs (used therapeutically and under the supervision of knowledgeable healthcare professionals) can do for a male MMA fighter is keep him healthy.

Now, if you argue that PEDs work because they keep the athletes healthy, then I won't be stupid enough to argue against that. There is a lot of convincing evidence showing that PEDs can be therapeutically useful to maintain general health and well being.

If this is the case, then how are PEDs any different from any other medication that promotes general health and well-being? We should ban medicine from athletics, because medicine will keep you healthy, and good health will probably lead to good performances.

However, this is not the argument that the majority of pro-USADA fans are making. Their argument is that PEDs do more than what Aspirin or Tylenol (Acetaminophen) and other medicines can do for an athlete.

They argue that PEDs actually give any random fighter an advantage (a better chance of winning the fight) over an equally experienced and skilled random opponent. The evidence simply doesn't support this argument. I am not being unreasonable. LOL

All of this slander. Maia has never won on his athletic ability, he's won on his BJJ and being strong enough to drag guys to the ground. Strength doesn't leave you in your 40s, and his BJJ is still obviously world class.

Rocco deserved it after his last snooze fest, taste of his own medicine.

I disagree. Although I'm not a fan of personal attacks, he's right.

Your original post makes no sense. You are suggesting an "either/or" that doesn't exist.

Trust me, PEDs do work. I've used them, therefore I speak from firsthand experience. But that doesn't mean that a fighter who is drug-free can't be really good.

Maia is drug-free and really good.

Good I guess? I haven’t even heard of the other guy.

Back