5 years in, best game of the generation?

Best game of this generation?

• Assassin's Creed Odyssey

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dragon Age Inquisition

• Fallout 4

• Fortnite

• Gears of War 4

• God of War

• Halo 5: Guardians

• Horizon Zero Dawn

• Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain

• Overwatch

• PUBG

• Resident Evil 7

• Spiderman

• Super Mario Odyssey

• Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

• Total voters

Hitman81

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Feels like we're hitting the peak time in the current generation of consoles. 5 years in with probably 2-3 more years until the next gen rolls out. So what's the best game of this gen so far (PS4, Xbox One, or Switch)? Ports don't count (The Last of Us, GTAV).

Mods feel free to add a poll.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey
Bloodborne
Doom
Dragon Age Inquisition
Fallout 4
Fortnite
Gears of War 4
God of War
Halo 5: Guardians
Horizon Zero Dawn
Legend of Zelda: Beath of the Wild
Life is Strange
Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain
Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor
Overwatch
PUBG
Red Dead Redemption 2
Resident Evil 7
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Spiderman
Super Mario Odyssey
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
Other (some indy shite)

Last edited:
From that list, I’d pick Doom

Has the One been out for 5 years already?

Shit feels like I just bought it lol.

I'd say Life is Strange but I'll be the only one

From the bigger games it'd be MGS5. Doom was amazing too though

My favorite has been Witcher 3. It's not necessarily better than some of those games, but it advanced storytelling, quests, and characters for RPGs in a way no other game has. Consider Dragon Age Inquisition came out just 7 months prior with great reviews and people were calling it next level. But compared to the Witcher its filled with repetitive, boring fetch quests and uninteresting characters.

Legend of Zelda: Beath of the Wild
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Tied for me

Bloodborne by farrrrr

I also loved DOOM.

The correct answer is the PC port of RDR2.

Eek, man. That's difficult.

I'd have to say my top three are

RDR2
Zelda BOTW
Mario Odyssey

But Bloodborne was so damn good too...

My top 3:

Breath of the Wild
Metal Gear Solid 5
Witcher 3

Definitely Witcher 3 or RDR 2. There were alot of good games but those 2 were the only real revolutionary ones that really pushed the envelope this gen that I can think of.

Zelda was pretty decent but not on the level of those 2 imo I didn't play a ton of it though cause I got bored as hell pretty damn quick.

My favorite has been Witcher 3. It's not necessarily better than some of those games, but it advanced storytelling, quests, and characters for RPGs in a way no other game has. Consider Dragon Age Inquisition came out just 7 months prior with great reviews and people were calling it next level. But compared to the Witcher its filled with repetitive, boring fetch quests and uninteresting characters.
Witcher 3 is leaps beyond all of them overall. Gameplay, or the size/graphics of its open world are eclipsed. However, worldbuilding, writing, quest lines and character development is bar raising.

Some games might have a tighter story, but I doubt any of them have the Witcher's complexity to contend with. It felt like an amazing TV series, with great arcs and stand alone gems.

I've been playing games since atari, so I've seen most of it. I didn't think I could be blown away again. Fallout New Vegas, Oblivion, Diablo 2, Baldur's Gate, Resident Evil 2/Code Veronica, Silent Hill, KOTOR 2, FF VII/X, Metal Gear Solid 1/2/5, Deux Ex 1/Human Revolution, System Shock 2, Zelda NES, XenoGears, Castlevania SOTN, Mass Effect trilogy, Metroid 1/Super etc...

Those epic games all left a big impression on me, and even if I have nostalgia goggles for some, Witcher 3 still managed to stand above them. I can't wait for Cyberpunk 2077.

My two cents

Last edited:
I had way too many false starts with Witcher 3 because the combat was so poor. World building and all that is awesome, and the game is definitely awesome, but I had to just tolerate a major aspect of a game to be able to enjoy it.

Witcher 3 is leaps beyond all of them overall. Gameplay, or the size/graphics of its open world are eclipsed. However, worldbuilding, writing, quest lines and character development is bar raising.

Some games might have a tighter story, but I doubt any of them have the Witcher's complexity to contend with. It felt like an amazing TV series, with great arcs and stand alone gems.

I've been playing games since atari, so I've seen most of it. I didn't think I could be blown away again. Fallout New Vegas, Oblivion, Diablo 2, Baldur's Gate, Resident Evil 2/Code Veronica, Silent Hill, KOTOR 2, FF VII/X, Metal Gear Solid 1/2/5, Deux Ex 1/Human Revolution, System Shock 2, Zelda NES, XenoGears, Castlevania SOTN, Mass Effect trilogy, Metroid 1/Super etc...

Those epic games all left a big impression on me, and even if I have nostalgia goggles for some, Witcher 3 still managed to stand above them. I can't wait for Cyberpunk 2077.

My two cents
I never could get into Witcher for some reason, maybe need to try it again.

I too am waiting for cyberpunk though.

Breath of the Wild.

I have played it every week since launch, I just love the sense of adventure and ability to mess around and make the game your own. You make your own story essentially even though the game has an overarching story. There's a real freedom to BotW that other games don't have, and the travel in it is a large part of that feeling of freedom.
No disrespect to other open world games, even though I like a strong story (and BotW could have been stronger in this respect) I'd prefer to not feel like I'm forced into a story. It's like reading a book instead of watching a movie where your imagination creates much the world you are brought into. I think BotW's sense of storytelling is in that sweet spot area where it's not the minimalism of SoulsBorne (some texts here and there but nothing more in game) nor the forced linear storytelling of Naughty Dog; it's closer to the former, but has more meat to it.

Last edited:
1a. Breath of the Wild
1b. Horizon Zero Dawn
2. Mario Odyssey
3. Destiny

Destiny is a bit controversial because it really boils down to playing a game with a clan. Loved running those raids with a group.

Back