50 years later and the Exorcist (1973) is still the scariest movie ever

Seahawks Fan

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
My sister is here visiting for the weekend and last night we were out for dinner and drinks when she suddenly dropped a random factoid that piqued my interest: this month marks the 50th anniversary of the Exorcist, which was released on December 26, 1973.

I'm not surprised she knows such a thing since she has always had a love for horror and gory entertainment. She had an action figure collection consisting of horror characters like Michael Myers, Freddy Krueger, Hell Razor, Chucky, Candy Man etc. She's also a regular attendee at horror conventions all around the country.

Anyway, she insisted we watch the exorcist when we got back home to celebrate the 50th anniversary. And boy oh boy did I forget just how potent and powerfully chilling this film was. After 50 years it still holds up and scares the shit out of you. There's no other scary movie out there that can work me over the way the exorcist can. I can't explain why I find it so disturbing but I just do.

I was also impressed by how well the cinematography and special effects hold up after all these years. Usually I find that 70s movies have a hint of cheesiness because of how dated and heavy-handed the cinematography and effects are. But with the exorcist i Don't find that to be the case. It's just such a well done movie all around. And yeah, 50 years later still the scariest and best horror film ever.

5x0CeVHJI8tcDx8tUUwYHQSNILq.jpg

Last edited:
Definitely holds well and scary as hell.

The thing to remember is that context matters too. This was made at a time long before people got desensitized to horror movies, so this was a true shock to audiences back then.

I was only 7 when it came out so I didn't see it until years later, but I still remember how my parents and everyone else I knew who had seen it were freaked out.

It's the greatest horror movie of all time.

Even that poster looks iconic as hell.

But i haven't rewatched it in a long time I don't know if it'll be that scary now.

My sister is here visiting for the weekend and last night we were out for dinner and drinks when she suddenly dropped a random factoid that piqued my interest: this month marks the 50th anniversary of the Exorcist, which was released on December 26, 1973.

I'm not surprised she knows such a thing since she has always had a love for horror and gory entertainment. She had an action figure collection consisting of horror characters like Michael Myers, Freddy Krueger, Hell Razor, Chucky, Candy Man etc. She's also a regular attendee at horror conventions all around the country.

Anyway, she insisted we watch the exorcist when we got back home to celebrate the 50th anniversary. And boy oh boy did I forget just how potent and powerfully chilling this film was. After 50 years it still holds up and scares the shit out of you. There's no other scary movie out there that can work me over the way the exorcist can. I can't explain why I find it so disturbing but I just do.

I was also impressed by how well the cinematography and special effects hold up after all these years. Usually I find that 70s movies have a hint of cheesiness because of how dated and heavy-handed the cinematography and effects are. But with the exorcist i Don't find that to be the case. It's just such a well done movie all around. And yeah, 50 years later still the scariest and best horror film ever.

View attachment 1014585

I agree totally in what you said, but what's even scarier is how did you get that image to work? lol nothing working for me.

Goat horror flick ik I was scared asf watching it in the late 80`s

I agree totally in what you said, but what's even scarier is how did you get that image to work? lol nothing working for me.
Download the image to your computer and then use the attach files function and then hit insert full image. I started doing it this way because when i tried adding images using URL it doesn't display.

Download the image to your computer and then use the attach files function and then hit insert full image. I started doing it this way because when i tried adding images using URL it doesn't display.

Thank you my friend.

I saw it for the first time a few years ago and was blown away. I typically don't watch horror movies, but this one is so iconic I thought I should. Some movies are so good they defy genre. Miller and Von Sydow are amazing. Too bad Miller didn't have more of a career.

One of the few movies that legitimately gives me bad vibes. Not so much scary as just creepy and a bit of negativity (bad vibe).

Everytime I've watched one of these films, exorcist movies, something odd has happened.

Including the last one that came out in October.

have not seen will not watch

<GinJuice>

started to watch when I was 8 yrs old in the 70's and said "F this"-and am sticking to that. Possibly my longest commitment to anything

100% agree. It's in my top 10‐15 movies all time. Every element of that film is designed to put you on edge and creep you out - the editing, the sound, the effects - all of it.

Back