Media A brilliant long interview with Teddy Atlas (Lex Fridman)

Teddy is a goof. All he does is try to have the most provocative take possible. He was a respectable, even enjoyable person to listen to before he decided boxing had done him wrong.

I still like Teddy but I don't listen to him as much anymore. Just don't have the patience for it. He's unable to effectively convey information, even as it relates to a simple topic, without always getting into long-winded storytelling and making whacky analogies. He's always done this to a degree but it's just getting worse. A lot worse.

I really liked how Atlas called out fact that "anxiety" is just another word for fear.

I think that young people these days talk about "anxiety" as if it's an affliction that they can't control. If we think of that feeling as "fear" it makes it more real, and more easily confronted and overcome.

I know it's not that simple, but it's a helpful way to frame it in your mind.

I still like Teddy but I don't listen to him as much anymore. Just don't have the patience for it. He's unable to effectively convey information, even as it relates to a simple topic, without always getting into long-winded storytelling and making whacky analogies. He's always done this to a degree but it's just getting worse. A lot worse.
He rambles on like your weird aunt who had one bottle of wine too many. Makes an epic out of a short blurb.
He should say less, as the kids say nowadays.
He can have good insight about boxing and about certain fighters and I appreciate how he's a big boxing voice that takes UFC/MMA seriously because we need more of that. But he's just as likely to slip in references to Ali/Frasier randomly.

Teddy is a goof. All he does is try to have the most provocative take possible. He was a respectable, even enjoyable person to listen to before he decided boxing had done him wrong.

Teddy is far from a goof.any coaches and fighters admit to appreciating his insights. None of those coaches care what you think though. Quit being unnecessarily grouchy. Teddy can get long-winded but that doesn't translate to being a goof. Plus a devil's advocate can be worth listening to, even if you don't agree with their take. He doesn't have that chip on his shoulder as much as you think these days.

Teddy is far from a goof.any coaches and fighters admit to appreciating his insights. None of those coaches care what you think though. Quit being unnecessarily grouchy. Teddy can get long-winded but that doesn't translate to being a goof. Plus a devil's advocate can be worth listening to, even if you don't agree with their take. He doesn't have that chip on his shoulder as much as you think these days.
Nah, he's a goof. Been a goof for years now. Jaded, crotchety old man with nothing good to say anymore. Womp womp.

I really liked how Atlas called out fact that "anxiety" is just another word for fear.

I think that young people these days talk about "anxiety" as if it's an affliction that they can't control. If we think of that feeling as "fear" it makes it more real, and more easily confronted and overcome.

I know it's not that simple, but it's a helpful way to frame it in your mind.
you need to read up on what anxiety actually means clinically.

of course it's fear. that's the literal definition of the word, a feeling of dread and uneasiness. doesn't mean the medical conditions falling under anxiety disorders is something young people made up that could be easily overcome if they just changed the word they use to describe it. it's also nothing new.

he offends some with his opinions, especially his opinions on canelo and skullduggery

I guess he got fired from ESPN because they appreciated his insights so much.

You know, I recall feeling legitimately bad for Tim Bradley when Atlas was screaming about being a fireman in his face as he was getting shut out by Pacquiao. Overrated trainer, overrated commentator. "Bugs on da winsheel!" All he does is drive fans away from the sport and remind them about his half assed association with Tyson by shitting on him behind his back.

Back