A Common Bjj Rookie Mistake

AtlanticMMA.com

White Belt
Reaction score
Bridging for more than one or two seconds drives renowned bjj instructor Stephan Kesting crazy...take a peek at the article "A Common BJJ Rookie Mistake"

I'm the editor over at Atlantic MMA and am new to the sport...I'm terrible, but I'm attempting to learn as I go.

What are some common mistakes that you guys see or make yourselves?

Pushing / bench-pressing motions from the bottom positions. This is a natural reaction beginners have when caught under side control or the mount. By pushing, they immobilize their own hips. Hip movement is needed to properly escape / defend such situations.

Bridging for more than one or two seconds drives renowned bjj instructor Stephan Kesting crazy...take a peek at the article "A Common BJJ Rookie Mistake"

I'm the editor over at Atlantic MMA and am new to the sport...I'm terrible, but I'm attempting to learn as I go.

If you are new to the sport, how are you the editor for a mma website? Trying to "cash in" on mma's growth? lol.

Pushing / bench-pressing motions from the bottom positions. This is a natural reaction beginners have when caught under side control or the mount. By pushing, they immobilize their own hips. Hip movement is needed to properly escape / defend such situations.

Yea I do that quite a bit...where do your hands go? To their hips as you shrimp out from side control? I'm not real sure about the mount either. What are my options?

Maybe he trains in other arts... Or he's an MMA fan who has only recently started training, yet has a bachelor of Journalism.

Being new to training BJJ doesn't mean the guy can't cover MMA from a journalistic point of view.

If you are new to the sport, how are you the editor for a mma website? Trying to "cash in" on mma's growth? lol.

New to the sport as in bjj...Just because I cover the sport doesn't mean I'm a good practitioner of it ya know?

And yes cashing in would be nice, but our site's new so we're a lil far away from that lol

Maybe he trains in other arts... Or he's an MMA fan who has only recently started training, yet has a bachelor of Journalism.

All my experience in the past has been in boxing. I've just recently began training MMA...I figured that might be a good idea considering my current occupation lol.

I don't have a Journalism degree, but would like to think I write well...eh maybe not.

Position before submission is something all rookies should focus on. This is a fairly general mistake, that lots of new guys and even some seasoned guys make once in a while.

You're correct...I'm under your "MMA blogs" section in fact. Welcome to sherdog.

Being new to training BJJ doesn't mean the guy can't cover MMA from a journalistic point of view.

Anyone can do anything they want.

Briefly looking at their website it seems clear to me they are trying to become a mma store, with mma content taken from other websites. The guy is trying to market by signing up for a bunch of social networking sites (facebook, flicker, digg, etc) as well as multiple forums (sherdog, ug, etc).

I have no problem with someone trying to make a living, but it's hard for me to get behind anyone who know nothing about the sport, yet claim to be "extremely passionate". Go sign up for a gym, and learn what the hell you are talking about before starting a money making venture. It appears his "mma training" comes from a green belt in judo.

Learn enough to come up with your own content...that = passion.

At least the "Director of Communications" is qualified:

Megan Hall

Position before submission is something all rookies should focus on. This is a fairly general mistake, that lots of new guys and even some seasoned guys make once in a while.

Yea that's what my instructor has been working with me on...I don't have any subs committed to muscle memory yet.

I also find that if I have mount that a newb will turtle up, if they don't bench press. Forcing me to mash you to get a sub doesn't help you. I think the biggest mistake they make is the fear of being subbed. Instead of trying to learn.

Yea I do that quite a bit...where do your hands go? To their hips as you shrimp out from side control? I'm not real sure about the mount either. What are my options?

Your instructor will be able to provide you with the list of options and work out the details of where the hands go better than I can explain through plain text via sherdog :)

However, I can suggest a drill that Saulo Ribeiro has used (I try to do this whenever I can) - tuck your hands under your belt, all the way until you're pretty much tied at the wrists, then attempt to shrimp / guard fight that way. This is a very good way to rely on hips rather than pushing / pulling and will give your movement a kick start. Good luck with training!

Back