A Judo black belt comes with perks

man, i must be PMSing or something.

I have to watch what I say because the Kodokan is always watching and so are my BJJ superiors being a black belt in 2 Martial arts I have noticed it does help but far more is expected of you.
my apparently overactive hormones are screaming at me that you're full of shit. kind of implying that you have a judo and bjj blackbelt there? true? if so, you've done a helluva job at cultivating the online persona of a holier-than-thou, mom's basement dwelling ninja. you sound like that guy who's a navy SEAL. and a special forces sniper. and a space shuttle door gunner. and teaches tactics to CAG. meh.

aRtOfwh1N1nG - every post i've read of your's just pisses me off. it's always some kinda bass-ackwards bitching that really just seems like you're overtraining your american defense trying to pat yourself on the back. i'm sorry that having a teenage girl crush your nuts has been so traumatic - get over it. i'm sure you're good at other things.

Lights+On+Emendy+BoxxyAwesome.png

ima go grab some supersized, jumbo max tampons and hopefully be less of a douche tomorrow.

The kind of school in which the advanced students are the laziest is the kind of school to run from.

At all the best schools, the advanced students are working the hardest. Now sometimes people get older, injured, etc., but that is completely distinct from just being lazy.

aRtOfwh1N1nG - every post i've read of your's just pisses me off. it's always some kinda bass-ackwards bitching that really just seems like you're overtraining your american defense trying to pat yourself on the back. i'm sorry that having a teenage girl crush your nuts has been so traumatic - get over it. i'm sure you're good at other things.

What about this particular post bothered you?

What about the abundance of deadly under 18 black belts? Do 11 year old BBs rock up late, teach some techniques, and then split, their turtle power wallets none the lighter?

This pretty much sums this thread up.

This is all true. If you watch warm ups, the intensity dies as you move up the belt ranks. Watch jumping jacks...best example. White belts are killing it, arms and legs straight out, both sides, lot of motion. Blue belts are pretty close, but their arms are bent and they don't throw their legs out as far. Purple belts have very bent arms, and basically jump up and down in place. Brown belts hop from foot to foot and sort of throw their hands up from the elbows like they're doing the wave. Black belts watch.

Same in Judo. Black belts get a lot of leeway. I think the idea is that a lower belt is a burden but a black belt is an asset, whether they explicitly teach or not. I enjoy the perks. Though if you have to go to the bathroom, at my club, you just go. Come on, we're all adults here.

I always figured it's because by this point you should know WTF you're doing, how to warm yourself up, and what you need to do to show-up ready to train. Where I train, the advanced classes usually don't have any kind of warmup at all. I prefer it that way, since most group warmup activities are pretty useless anyways and remind me of jr.high gym class. Plus, there's only so much class time. I think it's reasonable to expect the more advanced practitioners to be ready to go when class starts, and not need to do something as asinine as group break-falls or jumping-jacks...

Keep what you know to your self don't even think in show or teach anything unless asked by your sensei!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Do what you are supposed and capable to do in class!
Don't worry about other people in particular the Black Belts!
Let your sensei know about your bladder problem and all the other problems you may have!
If you are not happy go some place else, but chances are you will not adapt in any school they are pretty much the same!

I thought this was going to be a thread about how yudansha have really good ukemi that kept them from getting hurt when playing judo with <insert amazing judoka here> instead of "Black belts get to slack". Black belts do get perks like they tend to get listened to because they tend to know what they are talking about when they talk about judo. Black belts get asked to demo techniques with clinic teachers because they know how to breakfall. Black belts tend to get at least a modicum of respect because they've earned it by their discipline and tenacity. To me, these are the perks of the dan grades.

The only reason the instructors won't make a fuss about a black belt not being diligent (ie: late for class, half asses drills, pisses all over the fucking place, etc) is because hand-holding stops at black belt. If you still don't have the discipline and work ethic to behave as if you were being watched, you don't deserve your belt.

It also depends on whether you are part of a team or not, BB or not, if you are under a competitive team you are going to be abused. Does hand holding stops in boxing when you become ranked? Fuck no, it becomes more personal and harder.

Essentially, as a black belt, it is now your own responsibility to be disciplined and work hard. You are now a representative of your school - when you show up late and half-ass the drills, you're showing the world that your school taught you to be that way.

Exactly, but it also means that, in some scenarios, you already know the pain to get there, and that you wont slack off unless you have to.

Basically the difference between slacking because you are a pussy and slacking because you have shitty conditioning.

Showing up late is disrespectful no matter the belt color.

Being lazy during exercises as a black belt is still being lazy.

You're a grown man, you shouldn't have to ask someone to go to the bathroom.

As a BB you should be setting an example, not being a turd.

This, except the bathroom part, sometimes these breaks really disrupt the class, you are not going to the bathroom on the middle of a soccer game do you?

Wait until the exercise is over then tell the head of class, then go.

his is all true. If you watch warm ups, the intensity dies as you move up the belt ranks. Watch jumping jacks...best example. White belts are killing it, arms and legs straight out, both sides, lot of motion. Blue belts are pretty close, but their arms are bent and they don't throw their legs out as far. Purple belts have very bent arms, and basically jump up and down in place. Brown belts hop from foot to foot and sort of throw their hands up from the elbows like they're doing the wave. Black belts watch.

Or follow the example of the greats, the higher the rank, the harder they work to maintain that rank gap.

Same in Judo. Black belts get a lot of leeway. I think the idea is that a lower belt is a burden but a black belt is an asset, whether they explicitly teach or not. I enjoy the perks. Though if you have to go to the bathroom, at my club, you just go. Come on, we're all adults here.

No, they dont. Unless its run as a bussiness.

Usually these perks are reserved for the injury ridden veteran that its not competing.

The kind of school in which the advanced students are the laziest is the kind of school to run from.

At all the best schools, the advanced students are working the hardest. Now sometimes people get older, injured, etc., but that is completely distinct from just being lazy.

Exactly.

I always figured it's because by this point you should know WTF you're doing

Yes, that's why professional and olympic athletes dont have coaches, they just train on their own.

how to warm yourself up, and what you need to do to show-up ready to train. Where I train, the advanced classes usually don't have any kind of warmup at all. I prefer it that way, since most group warmup activities are pretty useless anyways and remind me of jr.high gym class.

Or maybe you are simply a bunch of lazy guys with no intent of achieving anything memorable in the grand scheme of things.

All high performance sports have warmups.

Plus, there's only so much class time. I think it's reasonable to expect the more advanced practitioners to be ready to go when class starts, and not need to do something as asinine as group break-falls or jumping-jacks...

You can only learn so much, up to a point is a simple matter of repetitions, a lot of warmups consists on specific drills that are helpful to your sport.

Sure you may not see the point on the 30 mins (no break allowed, no dropping your neck) of shrimping that predated every newaza class of my competitive team, but sure as fuck was it hard to pin people in our team. And sure as hell having to pin these guys made my pinning game good.

You can triain as technical as you want, if you train with lazy fucks, you will develop lazy BJJ.

It also depends on whether you are part of a team or not, BB or not, if you are under a competitive team you are going to be abused. Does hand holding stops in boxing when you become ranked? Fuck no, it becomes more personal and harder.

Exactly, but it also means that, in some scenarios, you already know the pain to get there, and that you wont slack off unless you have to.

Basically the difference between slacking because you are a pussy and slacking because you have shitty conditioning.

This, except the bathroom part, sometimes these breaks really disrupt the class, you are not going to the bathroom on the middle of a soccer game do you?

Wait until the exercise is over then tell the head of class, then go.

Or follow the example of the greats, the higher the rank, the harder they work to maintain that rank gap.

No, they dont. Unless its run as a bussiness.

Usually these perks are reserved for the injury ridden veteran that its not competing.

Exactly.

Yes, that's why professional and olympic athletes dont have coaches, they just train on their own.

Or maybe you are simply a bunch of lazy guys with no intent of achieving anything memorable in the grand scheme of things.

All high performance sports have warmups.

You can only learn so much, up to a point is a simple matter of repetitions, a lot of warmups consists on specific drills that are helpful to your sport.

Sure you may not see the point on the 30 mins (no break allowed, no dropping your neck) of shrimping that predated every newaza class of my competitive team, but sure as fuck was it hard to pin people in our team. And sure as hell having to pin these guys made my pinning game good.

You can triain as technical as you want, if you train with lazy fucks, you will develop lazy BJJ.

Why are you conflating drills and warmup?

It seems intentional. The goal of a warmup is to warm you up. The goal of a drill is to work an action or skill to improve it. They are not the same thing. Shrimping is a drill, jumping-jacks are a warmup. Big difference.

Why are you conflating drills and warmup?

It seems intentional. The goal of a warmup is to warm you up. The goal of a drill is to work an action or skill to improve it. They are not the same thing. Shrimping is a drill, jumping-jacks are a warmup. Big difference.

"A warm-up is usually performed before participating in technical sports or exercising. A warm-up generally consists of a gradual increase in intensity in physical activity (pulse raiser), a joint mobility exercise, stretching and a sport related activity. For example, before running or playing an intense sport one might slowly jog to warm muscles and increase heart rate. It is important that warm ups should be specific to the exercise that will follow, which means that exercises (of warm up) should prepare the muscles to be used and to activate the energy systems that are required for that particular activity. The risks and benefits of combining stretching with warming up are mixed and in some cases disputed. Warming up prepares the body mentally and physically."

Running and jumping jacks are to elevate the heart rate and then comes sport specific warmups.

Can you tell me what you do to warmup? let me guess, drilling extremly shitty and slow until you are properly warmed up, and instead of 100 reps of an armbar you got 30.

There is a reason why the PROs warmup, with shitty exercises.

Then you probably also say that wrestling is a strength sport, complain about spazzing and that nogi is less technical.

"A warm-up is usually performed before participating in technical sports or exercising. A warm-up generally consists of a gradual increase in intensity in physical activity (pulse raiser), a joint mobility exercise, stretching and a sport related activity. For example, before running or playing an intense sport one might slowly jog to warm muscles and increase heart rate. It is important that warm ups should be specific to the exercise that will follow, which means that exercises (of warm up) should prepare the muscles to be used and to activate the energy systems that are required for that particular activity. The risks and benefits of combining stretching with warming up are mixed and in some cases disputed. Warming up prepares the body mentally and physically."

Running and jumping jacks are to elevate the heart rate and then comes sport specific warmups.

Can you tell me what you do to warmup? let me guess, drilling extremly shitty and slow until you are properly warmed up, and instead of 100 reps of an armbar you got 30.

There is a reason why the PROs warmup, with shitty exercises.

Then you probably also say that wrestling is a strength sport, complain about spazzing and that nogi is less technical.

You're sounding pretty angry and losing the train.

No one said warmups are useless. I said warmups can be done on one's own time. Nothing you've said or posted seems to contradict me. Why shouldn't an advanced practitioner be expected to be warmed up when class starts? (Notice the part about being warmed up? Not: "why should advanced practitioners bother to warmup?")

No one said warmups are useless. I said warmups can be done on one's own time. Nothing you've said or posted seems to contradict me. Why shouldn't an advanced practitioner be expected to be warmed up when class starts? (Notice the part about being warmed up? Not: "why should advanced practitioners bother to warmup?")

where do you warm up?? in the car on the way to the dojo?? i dont get it. you say warmups arent needed for the advanced ppl but they warm up themselves?? so they show up early to warm up before class starts?? sounds just like warming up in class anyways, just having a longer class.

i find it hard to believe you guys have no warmups yet every single person there comes already warmed up, stretched out and ready to go?? if so, kudos to you guys and your dedication.

i find it hard to believe you guys have no warmups yet every single person there comes already warmed up, stretched out and ready to go?? if so, kudos to you guys and your dedication.

I can't speak for every single person. But at a certain point, you shouldn't have to have your hand held, and should know how to warmup, and make the time to get to class 15min early to do it.

Would be way off topic, but would be interesting to get tour guys' political philosophies... because something is good and should be done, do well-informed/trained adults need to be compelled to do it? Or can they decide to put as much into their training as they want to get out? If we only have 90 min for class, should we cater to those who won't get there early, and use a chunk of it to get them warmed up, or should we cater those who take the activity seriously enough to show up warmed and ready to go when class starts?

I knew you were a BJJ hater! But you really cannot help yourselves!

Judo thread and still bashing on BJJ.

LMFAO

Not everyone can come a quarter hour early to do a proper warmup.

I knew you were a BJJ hater! But you really cannot help yourselves!

No, i am a lazy BJJ hater.

There are guys in my school that train hard, these guys, these guys never complain about anything, they have their game do the talking. And they are as good gi or no gi, because they arent a bunch of lazy guys that cant think and move fast enough.

Nogi is not less technical, you simply have less time to think and less time to move, so if you dont develop quick tactical thinking through automatization of core movements (drilling as fuck) and the cardio to match up the pace, you will feel overwhelmed by the more "athletic guy".

Judo thread and still bashing on BJJ.

LMFAO

I was addressing a guy who quoted a BJJ example fail less and read the whole thread.

I cant even open a thread about Judo anymore on this board... Horseshit.

I'm well on my way to getting one and in the States Judo black belts come with perks. These are the ones I noticed so far.

1) It doesn't seem to be an issue when a black belt shows up late to class. On the other hand, when lower belts show up late it's a huge etiquette issue. I show up before class 90% of the time, but it'd be nice to have the privilege to show up later.

2) Black belts don't seem to have to pay the monthly dues at most clubs. As long as the black belts are helping the lower belts, a lot of the time the dues are waived. That's saving around $600.00 a year.

3) Black belts don't seem to need to ask permission to get off the mat. I have a pretty active bladder (I literally piss like 20 times a day) so it gets cumbersome to ask the Senseis if I can use the bathroom. Sometimes I rather not bother them and I just hold it.

4) Black belts seem to sand-bad some of the exercises they don't want to do. I don't mind doing all the exercises, but it'd be nice not to have to do all the break-falls. I'm getting close to 30 (dang...sounds older when I type it) and I'd like the privilege to skip some.

5) Probably the coolest perk is that black belts get the opportunities to show some moves to the class. I'm by no means and expert, but I'd love the opportunity to teach some of the lower belts my back-door moves. I got this one arm-bar transition that I'm dying to show down the line.

Thoughts?

is this a joke?... hope this is a joke

Back