A Level Athlete vs Bones

Basketball brawls are the funniest to watch...Just swinging for the fences and missing 80 percent of the time. In the 80s and early 90s those guys could scrap but were a different breed than the new guys.
It doesn’t matter what generation they are from. They still run backwards while they’re slapping lol

“I would need a year,” he said on the NBA Rookie Life podcast. “My standup game is great but what we all know with Jones is he’s a collegiate wrestler, really good on the ground and that’s not my forte. I can get on the ground. To his level? I’m not there yet I’d definitely need a year to work on counters and defenses against it so that we can stay on our feet.”

“He started learning how to use your hands and your feet, what, after college?” Johnson asked. “Like, I’ve been punching and kicking since I was five, six years-old. The opposite for him because he’s been wrestling for that long. Learning all his wrestling moves. As long as I can keep him from going on the floor, I win.”

Anyone think a Pro BBall player, with a lifetime of Karate experience, could beat Bones with a year of learning his “wrestling moves?”

https://www.mmamania.com/2023/9/18/...-could-beat-jon-jones-with-a-year-of-training
If he can learn the side check kick it would be over for Jones.

If ...

If ....

If I were your mother's brother, I'd be your uncle ...

according to sherdog jones would beat him in basketball with 12 minutes of training but this guy is delusional he could strike with jones after 12 months of wrestling

“I would need a year,” he said on the NBA Rookie Life podcast. “My standup game is great but what we all know with Jones is he’s a collegiate wrestler, really good on the ground and that’s not my forte. I can get on the ground. To his level? I’m not there yet I’d definitely need a year to work on counters and defenses against it so that we can stay on our feet.”

“He started learning how to use your hands and your feet, what, after college?” Johnson asked. “Like, I’ve been punching and kicking since I was five, six years-old. The opposite for him because he’s been wrestling for that long. Learning all his wrestling moves. As long as I can keep him from going on the floor, I win.”

Anyone think a Pro BBall player, with a lifetime of Karate experience, could beat Bones with a year of learning his “wrestling moves?”

https://www.mmamania.com/2023/9/18/...-could-beat-jon-jones-with-a-year-of-training
Pure delusion. We've seen this so many times.

Gane is a hell of a physical specimen. Originally a basketball player that picked up high level soccer on a whim. Not to mention Muay Thai. I guarantee Gane is in a different galaxy with his striking compared to this guy, and look what happened to him.

Jones has taken down guys that have wrestled all their lives, with ease. With only a year of wrestling defense, this guy doesn't stand a chance.

Pure delusion.

Last edited:
It doesn’t matter what generation they are from. They still run backwards while they’re slapping lol
Nah, some of the old NBA players were straight up hood and could scrap. Not saying they would do any such thing in MMA, but distinctly different and tougher than current NBA guys in general.

It's a cute idea, but lol no

jon is that “a-level athlete” people talk about. he started training mma and made it to the ufc in less than a year. once he was in the ufc, he made easy work of everyone until, without being gifted a shot, he became champ. his road to the title, from his debut until his fight with shogun, was less than 3 years. only a very, very, very gifted athlete can accomplish something like that. and if you look at his family (2 brothers in the nfl), you can infer that perhaps there’s a genetic component to his success.

also, even a-level athletes have different strengths and weaknesses. being athletically gifted for basketball doesn’t necessarily translate to mma, or vice versa. although i’m sure if someone like jones dedicated himself to basketball, there’s a good chance he’d be successful at it. he’s just not a very focused, team-oriented person, so he probably wasn’t ever going to make it in nfl. also, as he’s said, his legs are skinny, which isn’t suited to a sport like football. if jones had tree trunk legs, maybe he’d have gone into football. or perhaps it would have hindered him in mma. overall, his story speaks for itself. if an a-level athlete decided to compete in mma, a best case scenario for him would be if his career looked exactly like jon jones’s (minus the scandals).

Being good at throwing a ball into a hoop /= getting punched in the face for a living. Mike Perry would sleep this fool on the streets.

I’ve never seen an NBA fight resulting in a KO

I’ve seen hundreds of them.

I’ve seen a higher percentage of KOs in the streets

Basketball players have limp wrists. It’s required for shooting.

There is no such thing as an A-Level Athlete

I have no idea why this is so hard for people to grasp
What dumbasses think that? Takes an even more special dumbass to think that people think that.

Also you got to be real stupid if you don't think being fast and strong isn't a great attribute to have for fighting. You got Stipe who couldn't hack it in MLB and he the UFC hw goat. Then Matt Mitrione who was a low level NFL'er was able to KO the GOAT in fedor. Volk who couldn't hack it in rugby, is the #1 p4p (yeah right) and in talks as the FW goat. Point is, if any of these people were good enough, alethic enough to make it in professional sport besides mma, they would. Way better pay, way less cte and no pencil dick president.

Are basketballers even athletes lol? They just have long ass legs and good cardio

Please get yourself tested as there’s a very strong possibility that you might be mentally retarded—and if that’s the case, it’s in your best interest to get it certified so you can take advantage of the tax benefits.

Back