A look back at how amazing Prime Shogun was!

Wait a minute. Are you serious. I "sound dumb" because I said Shogun on a pound for pound scale was more skilled/talented than Jones

Are you a closet Jones fanboy.

That is a fact, considering Shogun at his peak beat better prime versions of Rampage and Machida more impressively than Jones beat over the hill versions of Rampage and Machida, and did so while being smaller than Jones to boot

Last edited:
Pride Shogun was soooo good. Yeah. I miss that.

I think he was so well suited to Pride (ring, less wrestling, minimal weight cutting).

Shogun actually beat great wrestlers in PRIDE and took down every one he wanted to.

Remember when Shogun hit that famous sweep on grappling wizard Arona. That shocked a lot of people

Shogun also out struck Machida in the octagon and still had some great performances in a cage

The elephant in the room is the injuries. No man ever beat Shogun, injuries beat Shogun.

If Shogun had come into the UFC healthy he wouldve dominated the UFC and been a long reigning champ. I mean his debut loss to Forrest while injuried was avenged when in better shape. Shogun wouldve also destroyed the Rashads/Rampages/Hendos. If Shogun had come into the UFC healthy, he prlly wouldve had well over 5 title defenses until Jones eventaully challenged him...but this time, in this alternate universe with Shogun having never dealt with injuries, it couldve been a much different out come etc. IMO Shogun wouldve reigned supreme until father time got him

Last edited:
Wait a minute. Are you serious. I "sound dumb" because I said Shogun on a pound for pound scale was more skilled/talented than Jones

That is a fact, considering Shogun at his peak beat better prime versions of Rampage and Machida more inpressively than Jones beat over the hill versions of Rampage and Machida, amd doing so while being smaller than Jones to boot

lol... oh man, you're definitely manic.

I think you're only the second person ever to call me a closet Jones fanboy.... because I think you sound like an idiot proclaiming Shogun GOAT like it's objective. I wish Rex Kwon Do could see that.

Maybe you're a smart troll teenager, but my money is on dumb manic adult.

You just need to CHILL OUT. You're always pushing your narrative so damn hard. What injury did Shogun have here? Also, if you could speak to Sobral beating him.

I've defended Shogun against the horde of anti-fans and trolls. But I'm also not stupid or stuck in my own narrative. Shogun was amazing. He had what is one of the best years ever for a LHW. That doesn't make him the all-time great of all things ever.

That is a fact, considering Shogun at his peak beat better prime versions of Rampage and Machida more impressively than Jones beat over the hill versions of Rampage and Machida, and did so while being smaller than Jones to boot

He also lost to Machida, something Jones has never achieved. He truly must be GOAT!

Who remembers when Shogun entered the UFC and everyone was spouting how the supposed "greatest LHW of all time" was going to clean out the division, then this happened?

forrest-griffin_shogun-rua.gif

lol... oh man, you're definitely manic.

I think you're only the second person ever to call me a closet Jones fanboy.... because I think you sound like an idiot proclaiming Shogun GOAT like it's objective. I wish Rex Kwon Do could see that.

Maybe you're a smart troll teenager, but my money is on dumb manic adult.

You just need to CHILL OUT. You're always pushing your narrative so damn hard. What injury did Shogun have here? Also, if you could speak to Sobral beating him.

I've defended Shogun against the horde of anti-fans and trolls. But I'm also not stupid or stuck in my own narrative. Shogun was amazing. He had what is one of the best years ever for a LHW. That doesn't make him the all-time great of all things ever.

I can tell you are socially akward. You cant even communicate properly or get your point across without sounding like a raging lunatic

Because youre going insane just because i dont preface every statement of mine with "my opinion," but its clearly in my opinion that 2005 GP Shogun is the GOAT..how many true fans of MMA who were around during that time would disagree!

Other statements ive made are based on educated observations, like Shogun being better than Jones on a pound for pound scale which I actually used factual examples to prove

You on the other hand, have contributed nothing to this thread. Only to nit pick at me. Get a life. In suprised youre even allowed to post from your padded room.

Even crazier is how you "claim" to be a Shogun fan.

You post a video of him from when he was 16 and hadnt even started training professionally as some counter to ask where was his injury there. Its like hello, what relevance does that video have with anything. Shogun hadnt even started pro training in that vid yet. Shogun's PRO career was ravaged by injuries. What next grasping at straws will you do. Your reach is longer than Jones

How many times will I have to keep holding your hand and explaining simple concepts to you.You have to be legally retarded.

Last edited:
I honestly can't believe you left out grounded-kicks, lol. I think even with quality wrestling, Shogun would have done pretty well given he could hold them down and kick them when they failed at a shot.

fair point. :icon_chee:icon_chee:icon_chee

He also lost to Machida, something Jones has never achieved. He truly must be GOAT!

What a weak troll job attempt.

Youre trying to get me to bite

Haha you dont think I cant see it from miles away. Im truly dealing with the bottom of the barrel here

Even Stevie Wonder could see Shogun was robbed blind vs Machida. Fact: 90% of fans had Shogun winning in large polls after the fight

What a weak troll job attempt.

Youre trying to get me to bite

Haha you dont think I cant see it from miles away. Im truly dealing with the bottom of the barrel thrash of society.

Even Stevie Wonder could see Shogun was robbed blind vs Machida! 90% of fans had Shogun winning!

Never leave it in the hands of the judges.

Jones never did against Machida. I guess Jones IS more impressive after all.

I have been watching since the Pride days, I always liked Shogun. It is hard to be a fan because of the loser die hards that follow him. He was always entertaining and exciting. I hate Jon Jones, I mean a deep hate, but for the idiots saying Shogun was better or has more tools then Jones, WTF are you talking about? People like you make it hard to like Shogun. Shogun was a awesome fighter, just be happy with that. A prime Chuck knocks a prime Shogun out.

Never leave it in the hands of the judges.

Jones never did against Machida. I guess Jones IS more impressive after all.

What kind of stupid point is that

It was Shogun who even figured out the Machida puzzle and LAYED DOWN the blue print for others like Jones to use

It was Shogun who shattered Machidas confidence when he KOd Machida at the height of Machida's prime (something Jones couldnt do to a 1-2 struggling Machida)

Without Shogun laying down the blue print for Machida, Jones doesnt have the same benefits of gameplanning for Machida like he had because of Shogun

Plus Shogun in BOTH fights out struck Machida 2-1....meanwhile Jones NEVER consistently got the better of Machida on the feet

Plus Shogun's 1st rd KO of Machida blows away Jones performance against Machida as is

Shogun both times was more consistently inpressive against a way better prime version of Machid

Machida was beating Jones soundly until he got taken down and cut open

What kind of stupid point is that

It was Shogun who even figured out the Machida puzzle and LAYED DOWN the blue print for others like Jones to use

It was Shogun who shattered Machidas confidence when he KOd Machida at the height of Machida's prime (something Jones couldnt do to a 1-2 struggling Machida)

Without Shogun laying down the blue print for Machida, Jones doesnt have the same benefits of gameplanning for Machida like he had because of Shogun

Plus Shogun in BOTH fights out struck Machida 2-1....meanwhile Jones NEVER consistently got the better of Machida on the feet

Plus Shogun's 1st rd KO of Machida blows away Jones performance against Machida as is

Shogun both times was more consistently inpressive against a way better prime version of Machid

Machida was beating Jones soundly until he got taken down and cut open

Reported for trolling.

Chute boxe training style, injuries, lack of pride rules and more well rounded guys is what make Shogun a shot fighter. Nothing to be ashamed,he's the elite of the sport, a Pride GP and an UFC belt is something that just a select group of people had.

I have been watching since the Pride days, I always liked Shogun. It is hard to be a fan because of the loser die hards that follow him. He was always entertaining and exciting. I hate Jon Jones, I mean a deep hate, but for the idiots saying Shogun was better or has more tools then Jones, WTF are you talking about? People like you make it hard to like Shogun. Shogun was a awesome fighter, just be happy with that. A prime Chuck knocks a prime Shogun out.

What is it with these crazy trolls

"Im a huge fan of Shogun, and i hate Jones ...bu but Jones>>>Shogun and if you say other wise arrrrrrr, youre this and youre that" and insert more butt hurt pms like responses

This agenda is so transparent.

Youre not fooling anyone with that.

Its about what you go on to say and what you truly intented to say makes it clear youre just a delusional Jones zealot.

Guess what, Jones fans like you MAKE me hate Jones too

And in fact Shogun haters like you just make fans love Shogun even more in support of him

Its insane.

In this thread we have trolls leaving Shogun is over rated comments and posting irrelevant gifs of him losing while out of his prime, and yet you have NO PROBLEM with any of that...

No you only come after me just for stating the reality that Shogun BEAT PRIME opponents unlike Jones and that Shogun won without any of the same size and reach advantages Jones employs to win....

Yeah...gtfo....youre so see through Jones TROLL

No true fan would have any problems with what im saying. If you were legit/genuine you would get upset at the Shogun hating trolls in this thread

Trolls exposed

Last edited:
Shogun also had tremendously under-rated defense

The only fighters who ever touched up a peak Shogun were Nog...and Diabate for like 10 seconds...

In fact, if you check stats, you will see that Shogun always massively out struck his opponents and hardly ever took clean shots

Even in the gif I posted. You can see how Shogun is right there in the pocket with a PRIME Rampage and does NOT take any clean shots in their exchange. Shogun rolls Rampage's right hands, than cross face taps Rampage to occupy, uncork his guard, and set up uppercuts.

Shogun also stood with Machida for 5 rounds and in 25 mins HELD Machida to only 14 total head shots landed.

Think about that. Thats crazy.

Shogun's wear and tear on his body ALL STARTED with injuries...it was always only because of injuries.. It was never because he took shots.

How quickly its been forgetten. Shogun out Machida'd Machida when Machida was top 4 P4P

Out striking Machida every way which possible in straight up stand up affairs across 2 fights.

To this day no one has still blown Machida out like Shogun did. How many have even consistently gotten the better of Machida like Shogun did...(only Ruckhold) But Shogun achieved what he did against PRIME utmost PEAK Machida. Shogun at his peak was a true sight to behold

Shogun never got the credit he deserved for his skills and smarts

Every time Shogun wanted to fight a disciplined technical fight, Shogun did it better than all the other technical strikers who were known for it lol

Like someone else said, I really believe old school chute box
philosophies were bad for Shogun

Imagine a young healthy Shogun coming up today learning from a technical coach? Forget it, that Shogun would go on to KILL DC/Jones/Rumble

Fedor/Anderson
GSP
Penn

Don't make shit up to help your argument.

Shogun is the second best LHW of all time and one of the greatest fighters in MMA history, and you still find a way to overrate him.

Last edited:
Shogun when he was young... BJ when he was young, this kind of threads make me sad, considered how many people don't know how great they truly were. Shogun's kneebar on Coleman is one of those things I will never forget, classic one.

Subbing Randleman is not that big a deal

Then he came to the UFC and got exposed.

Mileage fam

Shogun came into UFC with so many fights and brutal sparring sessions in his past.

Doesn't help he popped his knee 3 times and all of "sudden" started gassing after 1 round. His knees are done and he can't even train cardio properly, even Freddie roach admitted this. But I don't even have to tell you that, if you watched pride you'd know Shogun was known for his cardio

Chute boxe training style, injuries, lack of pride rules and more well rounded guys is what make Shogun a shot fighterNothing to be ashamed,he's the elite of the sport, a Pride GP and an UFC belt is something that just a select group of people had.
Yep, Shogun is easily one of the greatest fighters to ever live. Only fighter to legit win BOTH MAJOR belts in UFC and PRIDE when both mattered the most (2005 GP, beating Machida to win the belt etc)

But I have to disagree with the outlined. Like who? Sonnen and OSP who both have more than 5+ lossess

We both know a prime Shogun wouldve been 100% favored to kill Sonnen and OSP

Injuries and injuries only were the cause for Shogun's decline

Think about this

OSP was out classed BY BADER....Bader who was KOd by Machida...and we all saw what a peak Shogun did to Machida...whopped that ass twice....

This new agenda that Shogun started losing because the "comp got better" is truly laughable...and any true fan of MMA would laugh that non sense off

Shogun in his prime destroyed fighters who beat Sonnen and OSP.

Shogun in his prime wouldve been favored over Sonnen and OSP and wouldve dominated them

Truth is Shogun beat better more skilled fighters in PRIDE during the GOLDEN age of MMA (Prime Rampage/Prime Nog/Overeem/Prime Arona etc)

IF Shogun had come into the UFC healthy he wouldve dominated the division with an iron fist

Back