A Question for the IT/CompScience guys?

Humans will do what they're told

now-im-ready

He was not a resource, he just a random acquaintance. His statement did pick my interest.

All this AI will take over talk scares the bejesus outta me.
You really don't need to worry man.

When the robots go to war against mankind they will still need human beings to load their guns and grease their joints/gears. At the very minimum the robots will be extracting the electricity from human beings for powering themselves.

Humanity does have a future. There is hope!

terminator-army-credit-warner-bros.jpg

Programmer here, been at it 22 years, about 12 of those in some sort of professional capacity. Worked in all sorts of industries and on all sorts of applications.

In the past I used to write a lot of things over and over again, and if it happened too often I'd consider making a module or library so I could easily integrate that functionality without needing to rewrite it when working on a new program.

What I see happening now is a lot of the easy stuff getting spammed out by AI (you can always tell by the comments and comparison to other code someone has written).
It's like an aim hacker in CS, see them running around like an idiot not knowing left from right, then hitting insane headshots here and there.

Anyway - as someone else said, there is always going to be a place for people that really know what they are doing, it's just a lot of the low level stuff being processed by AI atm. And I don't see that changing any time too soon.

Quite a few companies I know the inner workings of are actually struggling to find good Devs right now, seems to be a real shortage and we can charge what we want on a lot of projects.

Spoke with a programmer/"CS architect" some time ago. He told me that up to half/third of code was written by AI.

I work in tech but not a Dev, I find this hard to believe. I think coding is hugely influenced by what is available in google and stackoverflow but can't imagine Devs just blatantly letting ChatGPT do their coding tasks.

Spoke with a programmer/"CS architect" some time ago. He told me that up to half/third of code was written by AI.

With all the AI rapid development, is there a future for IT/programmers?

Or are robots gone "took ur jerbs" even from the "computer" dudes?

If there's a potential in some field, what can I recommend to my nephew?
In my experience, programmers/architects are also idiots. AI will decrease jobs, but the guy who knows how to incorporate AI will increase his salary.

dude could be telling the truth but he might not have explained it well.

one of the best parts of ai code is it is good for taking care of boiler plate code, which can be alot. so if he was meaning that all the boiler plate stuff was being taken care of and the actual problem solving coding was what he was doing.
the other thing is just because it gives you some code you still need to be able to place it into your code structure and make sure that it is able to function in whatever edge cases might be thrown your way.
also he could be talking about maybe having gpt doing the css / styling for a site. writing it all yourself can be a lot of work (1000s of lines)
but he is just focused on the functional part of the site.

furthermore he could be talking about using things like tabnine or copilot who dont make code but help you complete your code when writing it like auto check in word on steroids

All that being said AI isnt taking jobs but it is changing the way code will be written and the way we will work in the future

as for what your supposed family memeber should study if they want to get their feet wet.

python is probably the best generic answer, lots of free resources and tools to learn online.
the other obvious side is JavaScript and play around on the web with html and css.
if they are interested after writing some code places liek full sail teach in Java and languages like C++/C# are powerful languages that will really develop overall skills.
the truth is though all languages have a core syntax that you need to get accoustemed to. after that its easier to learn and branch out.

In my experience, programmers/architects are also idiots. AI will decrease jobs, but the guy who knows how to incorporate AI will increase his salary.
true i am a wanna be programmer and i am certainly an idiot

There is something called Github Copilot which could explain "up to half/third of code was written by AI" for some developers. It's basically a tool you can invoke while developing that recognizes the direction you're heading in and autocompletes things for you. It still needs a human to guide the process though. I believe we're still a long way from AI being able to take requirements and knock out all of the development.

It's my understanding that AI is just a tool that will make engineers faster and more efficient.
I agree with this, but that will still put a lot of people out of jobs.

Let's say it used to take a team of 12 people to do something, and now because of AI they can do that job twice as fast. So that means 6 people get laid off.

So it won't replace all the programmers, but it will replace a significant portion.

that's not how it works, "half written with AI" is nonsense and it doesnt tell you the whole story.

while it can be technically true, I use AI to write my code all the time, it doesnt tell you that it takes time to find the right AI code or adjust it to work. You need to know the code like the back of your hand, you have to be able to quickly vet that code, you have to be able to implement that code. It's not much different than googling code from stackoverflow. I can give a bunch of code to a jr developer, and it would take some time to make sure it works. it's not going to show proper code hierarchy that a developer should know, it's not going to be able to figure out if something is worth doing, or how to approach to solve the issues.

if anything, AI will make it easier for developers, but it sure as hell isnt replacing them anytime soon. Consider this, OpenAI, the creators of chatgpt..... they hire thousands of developers, still do................. The company that owns the AI, still needs a crap ton of them..... just goes to show, it aint that smart. It can do basic stuff like setup an object or batch render data into a data call, stuff that you may not like to hand type out, or stuff you're too lazy to lookup, like code to deal with escape characters or xml transforms. it sure as hell is not a miracle worker.

TBF 70% of code is likely built off of posts on Stack Overflow and Spiceworks.

I do not see AI obsoleting these jobs completely, but I wouldn't be surprised if it somehow creates a net negative number of jobs. One area where I do see a potential to have a big impact is tech support, especially tier 1. Basically the people who go off of a script or send you the article you have already read ten times. Once you can easily implement AI to have regular conversations with people I could see these jobs going away. Sucks for places like India and the Philippines who bank off of this stuff.

While AI is indeed becoming more prevalent in software development, it's unlikely that it will completely replace human programmers anytime soon. Instead, it's more likely to augment and streamline the development process. Programmers will still be needed to design, manage, and maintain AI systems, as well as to solve complex problems that AI algorithms can't handle on their own.

For your nephew, I would recommend focusing on developing a strong foundation in computer science, software engineering, and problem-solving skills. Additionally, exploring areas such as machine learning, data science, and artificial intelligence could provide valuable skills for the future job market. It's important to adapt to the evolving landscape of technology and continuously update skills to stay relevant in the field.
Not to mention, even if you are relying on AI to write your code you still need to know what to do with it, where to put it into larger systems, how to verify it, modify it, etc

Not to mention, even if you are relying on AI to write your code you still need to know what to do with it, where to put it into larger systems, how to verify it, modify it, etc
exaclty,
even with AI generating code, human programmers are still essential for various critical tasks in the software development process,eg System Architecture and Design,Integration ,Verification and Testing,Maintenance and Updates,Understanding Business Requirements..
AI generated code just means more code to manage, more to learn, more to do , more people needed and so on
Its a cool tool to pool more people into IT :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicenhot
Back