A turtle escape required

reehan

White Belt
Reaction score
If you are turtled and the opponent controls you from the rear in preparation to take your back (i.e. he is sprawled over your back - say, with his chest on your lower back/hips with his head pointing the same way as yours), how would you get back to guard or escape to a better position in a BJJ or nogi context? I can't seem to find anything on Youtube - the nearest is the escape from the Referee's Position in Freestyle Wrestling but that seems to leave the neck exposed plus the guy on bottom is wide open for the top guy's hooks. If I try to roll through, I always get my back taken. Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

Standup explosively properly or monkey roll, or tripod up if he is high and flip him over the top. Learn to wrestle. Practice movements explosively

You can see this position repeatedly in high level no gi, like ADCC matches. You might benefit from some observation

If he is that low....knee slide. From there you have options to get back to standing or at least facing him. If you are wanting to get back to guard tripod up and create the angle so you can granby roll to guard. Or go the option that is posted about....learn to roll them and get to the top position. If you are tripoding on your head you are hard to choke....otherwise keep your neck tucked in.

Can't remember the name of it from wrestling but if they are playing back on your hips you can sit out and hook their head then turn in to take north/south. It works best when they reach under both your arms to grab the lapel. It's a little risky as they can suck you back into N/S if they wrestled and are ready for it but I have hit successfully many times on upper belts.

You can also buck hard to create space and then turn into half guard.

If it's not a tournament a lot of times I will let the guy get hooks because most BJJ guys play too high on the hips and don't flatten the bottom guy out. Once they start leaning over to try and choke trap an arm/shoulder start tripoding up. Pressure their shoulder into the ground as you pressure forward. They will get pulled off you into side control or N/S.

Back