A very long high bridge or a very long tunnel - Which scares you more?

Which scares you more?

• Total voters
I'm terrified of heights, so bridges.
Been across this one
upload_2023-4-10_10-59-28.jpeg
The Royal Gorge much younger then, didn't like it but don't remember real fear.
The older I get the worse it gets. I hate driving through mountains. The trip from Virginia where I live to Ohio where my parents live is 12-14 hours, 9-10 of which are in mountains. Didn't like it in my 20s and 30s, dreaded it in my 40s and simply won't do it in my 50s. Flying doesn't instill the same fear.
Other bridges: I hate this one on 695
upload_2023-4-10_11-4-54.jpeg
or this one also in Maryland.
upload_2023-4-10_11-6-15.jpeg
I take the Jordan bridge alot, but never if it is raining or windy.
upload_2023-4-10_11-7-49.jpeg
The worst is when traffic is backed up and I have to sit on a bridge.

Lots of underwater tunnels where I live and they don't bother me at all really.
upload_2023-4-10_11-15-22.jpeg
upload_2023-4-10_11-17-3.jpeg
upload_2023-4-10_11-17-28.jpeg
images

And here is the Chesapeake Bay Bridge tunnel. Over 17 miles long with 2 tunnels.
The video hits the bridge at about 30 seconds, the first tunnel at 1:30 and the second at about 2:30

I live not far from where the I-35W collapse in Minneapolis happened and it is never far from my mind when going over a bridge.

Just go on the Chesapeak Bay Bridge . You get equal parts of both. On the 30 mile Bridge/tunnell

I grew up outside of Pittsburgh and we drove through tunnels on the daily... heights make me nervy

Neither bothers me at all.

I don't find either of these intimidating in the slighest.

A crooked, winding, excessively narrow, poorly maintained, steep, mountainous road a few thousand feet above sea level in the boondocks where such roads are common because they are the only way to get to wherever they lead, and because they aren't trafficked heavily enough, nor maintained by populations large & wealthy enough to furnish better...those are not pleasant to drive.

Bridge for me. Make the tunnel as deep as you want, I’m ok with that, but fuck heights!

Neither really, but I am claustrophobic so a tunnel collapse would suck big time.

I guess, but neither really scare me. I drive over a causeway, with a high section on it everyday. The causeway bridge is being worked on and will be for the rest of the year. Noticed a part of the bridge buckled up and when driving over that area would give you a good jolt if you didn't know about it, slow way down. That was unsettling. Had me thinking the bridge might collapse in that area! Bridge section was repaired overnight though earlier in the week. Driving is back to normal.

On the high section of the bridge there is a bike path, and the bikers get scarred. They will sometimes swerve into the car lane. That can be unnerving for me as the bikers all to often don't seem to care about the cars there.

After having almost being trapped in a tunnel in which a tanker truck exploded, killing people ifo of me, I can say tunnels unnerve me now.

Lots of underwater tunnels where I live and they don't bother me at all really.
View attachment 978324
View attachment 978325
View attachment 978326
images

And here is the Chesapeake Bay Bridge tunnel. Over 17 miles long with 2 tunnels.
The video hits the bridge at about 30 seconds, the first tunnel at 1:30 and the second at about 2:30

Yep, done that as well.

Neither one really bothers me, as I grew up excited to cross the Mackinac Bridge.. but if I had to be concerned more it'd be the underwater tunnel.

Bridges. I always get this irrational concern that some psycho is going to bump me off the road.

Neither really. I suppose in a storm the bridge would make some nerves. Now stopping under bridges I hate... I jus know it will be the one time I'm there one falls!

<36>

Tunnels if they are tiny and poorly lit....

<KhabibBS>

This. Exactly this.

I don't find either of these intimidating in the slighest.

A crooked, winding, excessively narrow, poorly maintained, steep, mountainous road a few thousand feet above sea level in the boondocks where such roads are common because they are the only way to get to wherever they lead, and because they aren't trafficked heavily enough, nor maintained by populations large & wealthy enough to furnish better...those are not pleasant to drive.

Back