actually Good (and bad) MMA coverage

latoya johnson

Double Black Card
@Green
Reaction score
I wanna shout two podcasts which I am tremendously blessed to have discovered:
Jack Slack and Heavy Hands.
Tremendous content. I love those guys. Funny, insightful, other-good-adjectives.

I tried to browse other mainstream resources recently and then realized I'm not nearly masochistic enough to subject myself to Chael Sonnen, Teddy Atlas, ESPN, random MMA journos who have never fought and write articles no one reads, etcetera.

But Chael is absolutely awful to an unprecedented degree.
He starts his videos shouting some rambling pseudo-psychoanalysis in an annoying, nasally speech, barfing out a deluge of word salad with no meaning, in between abundant ad-breaks.

I guess the most important take-away here is: Chael's content sucks a**.

I recently had to click on the "don't recommend this channel" option for chael, so I understand. YouTube algorithm can be shit sometimes. Just because I like MMA, it thinks it can recommend me the most annoying casual shit.

Pshhh

Literally all mainstream sports coverage outside of game summaries is garbage. And even then they will often produce deliberately awful game highlights to make you pay for the real ones (like UFC's ridiculous slow motion or thrill and agony videos on its YouTube channel). The main goal of almost any mainstream sports journalist is to say as many words as possible without committing to anything so that you can cram in as many sponsors as you can. Do not take a stand on any issue including predicting outcomes of fights or matches. When you watch the ESPN pregame show of any UFC fight the segment producers choose which analyst will pick which fighter for the winners of the main events. It is like reality television where everything is scripted and nothing is actually real or authentic.

Obviously Chael is a master at this. Not even willing to commit to whether or not water is wet. But that style is popularized by ESPN and Fox and the official channels of various sports promotions like the NFL or UFC and so on. If you want to work for the UFC or ESPN or MLB or whatever you need to be as milquetoast and unoffensive as humanly possible when you are on camera. Off camera you can be a maniac of course. But on camera you need to give the most bland and embarrassing takes conceivable. Formulaic babbling wrapped between obnoxious advertisements.

Believe You Me.

Bisping & A.Smith breakdown, recap & preview big fights. Whilst adding some random tangents and humor.

Plus they have a solid stable of fighters, doctors, coach's they interview. I like it cause their interviews seem very natural instead of some interviewers where they have agenda and want some juice from said fighters,
I also like it because they give a chance for not well known fighters to express themselves."

Last edited:
Believe You Me.

Bisping & A.Smith breakdown, recap & preview big fights. Whilst adding some random tangents and humor.

Plus they have a solid stable of fighters, doctors, coach's they interview. I like it cause there interviews seem very natural instead of some interviewers where they have agenda and want some juice from said fighters.
I guess Bisping is acceptable.

But Stephen A?? I'm very skeptical.

I enjoy Weasel MMA honestly. His content is in depth and he gets it up so quickly,its become a ritual to see his takes after a card.

I like Chael videos but more of a guilty pleasure thing, he isnt to be taken serious like 99% of the time.

Morning Kombat with Luke Thomas and Brian Campbell its usually not Sherdog's cup of tea but thats my main (basically single) source for MMA content, Believe you me with Bisping is also good but thats not really a "coverage" type of podcast imo.

y'all watching/listening to some terrible content creators/analysts. i only watch quality creators like The Cheeseburger Guru. he's the GOAT MMA (and cheeseburger) analyst

112662.jpg

I enjoy Weasel MMA honestly. His content is in depth and he gets it up so quickly,its become a ritual to see his takes after a card.
The difference between him and Slacky (despite Jack shitting on people) Jack actually knows what he's talking about.

Weasel doesn't get called out because he's a nice guy, but his takes suck and he's the Jon Jones of FW, where that debut at?

One thing you can't take away from Weasel is the data he collects, he's meticulous with it.

I gave him a chance, he ain't it.

Reactions: HHJ
y'all watching/listening to some terrible content creators/analysts. i only watch quality creators like The Cheeseburger Guru. he's the GOAT MMA (and cheeseburger) analyst

112662.jpg
Somehow this guys videos were on my related videos on YouTube, I watched a few & damn is he horrible, I even got recommended a parody channel dedicated to him called Wheelchair Jewru.

The difference between him and Slacky (despite Jack shitting on people) Jack actually knows what he's talking about.

Weasel doesn't get called out because he's a nice guy, but his takes suck and he's the Jon Jones of FW, where that debut at?

One thing you can't take away from Weasel is the data he collects, he's meticulous with it.

Fair enough,but I enjoy it. I dont even have to agree,Im curious how he viewed what I just watched.

112662.jpg
His meltdown after Islam won was so embarassing,I cant bother with him anymore. He's done.

I like Jack Slack's analysis but he spends too much time shitting on everything and putting himself over.

So he's kind of a douche after all... @Orochimaru 大蛇丸

Never have been able to watch/listen long enough to confirm it myself, but always got those vibes from what I did listen to.

So he's kind of a douche after all... @Orochimaru 大蛇丸

Never have been able to watch/listen long enough to confirm it myself, but always got those vibes from what I did listen to.
I really like his analysis. He used to do stuff on a website,where you wouldnt get any of those shit talking vibes,just gifs and analysis. Then he had a FB page,and it came out HARDCORE,and his YT channel is the same. Still,its never so bad you cant listen to it,you just roll your eyes..alot.

The best thing he does is score fights according to the official scoring criteria. That's what a lot of people can/should learn from.

Otherwise I think he has some good and some bad takes. Those are okay I guess.

His meltdown after Islam won was so embarassing,I cant bother with him anymore. He's done.
Was it the one he was calling Islam a inbred and hoping Islam's kids come out with birth defects like 3 legs or something, because that was the video that I watched and I was kinda getting a little heated watching how much of scumbag he kinda was acting. Dude seems to hate anyone with a relationship to Khabib.

Back