Aetna Pulling Back From Obamacare

Who claimed they lost 430MM in certain markets? Not me. Regardless, you do understand how it's possible that certain markets/channels may be more profitable than others, and that if those less profitable channels are projected to continue to operate at a loss it makes sense to stop the bleeding?

Can you demonstrate that the Aetna customers that are on the public exchanges are contributing positively toward their profitability?

BTW, the personal attacks are unwarranted, fuckface.
It was on page one and was the grounds of them pulling out.

Obviously, no i can't demonstrate that as it defeats the whole purpose of insurance. An insurance company makes profit by the amount paid to them by healthy people who don't use the insurance offsetting the cost of covering the unhealthy. Obviously markets/counties that are poor and obese aren't going to be profitable. That is literally the cost of doing business. If you're advocating that insurance companies should be able to selectively choose who they insure based on profitability, then you don't understand the point of the ACA
cost of acquisition vs cost of policy are different.

the cost of the acquisition is a immediate one-time expense it doesn't continue.. The losses would continue. so yes the first quarter may be comparable to the acquisition costs but what about the 2nd quarter 3rd quarter 4th quarter next year the year after the year after that and so forth and so on
I understand cost of acquisition and policy are different. But what you are saying is a kin to a company winning a major customer by promising they can make a product for x price even though they know its at a loss, if they are guaranteed to get get a, b, and c products which will greatly increase their profits. And then after winning that companies business, they say that x is too expensive to make and cancel production of it. Its completely unreasonable and this falls under the cost of doing business.

Mark my words, when Hillary is elected, Atena will somehow figure out a way to take back all those customers.

If you're advocating that insurance companies should be able to selectively choose who they insure based on profitability, then you don't understand the point of the ACA.
Lol

If you thought the majority of the nation was against this law before lol...

Just wait till your rates increase a minimum of 10% next year with more on the way!

Obama care was setup to fail by the Republicans. It is unfortunate because something really needs to happen regarding healthcare in this country.

You mean the old system that actually encouraged growth in the R&D side of medicine?

cost of acquisition vs cost of policy are different.

the cost of the acquisition is a immediate one-time expense it doesn't continue.. The losses would continue. so yes the first quarter may be comparable to the acquisition costs but what about the 2nd quarter 3rd quarter 4th quarter next year the year after the year after that and so forth and so on

This is where smarter business models would make sense for them. They're clearly overall still profitable in the insurance space (more profitable even) and they're clearly making money on the people in the exchanges who are getting Medicare and Medicaid.

Taken as a whole, they're making more money as a result of the ACA. Claiming that part of ACA is unprofitable while ignoring that the ACA as a whole is profitable is why I don't take their complaints seriously. Movie theaters lose money on the movies and make money on the concessions, they don't just drop showing movies and focus on selling popcorn.

And this is why only morons take public corporate statements seriously when it's about why they did/didn't do something.. Yes, I'm referencing the "OMG, thank the tax cuts for the bonuses because the corporation says so..." believers. Bunch of useful idiots indeed.

And this is why only morons take public corporate statements seriously when it's about why they did/didn't do something.. Yes, I'm referencing the "OMG, thank the tax cuts for the bonuses because the corporation says so..." believers. Bunch of useful idiots indeed.

Is it your position that these workers would have gotten bonuses and raises without the tax bill?

Is it your position that these workers would have gotten bonuses and raises without the tax bill?

My position is that only morons believe corporate statements about why they are doing anything.

Oh ok. So you're not objecting the notion that these bonuses are a direct result of the tax bill?

It is a direct result, because they want more corporate welfare. So they throw their workers some crumbs(one time) and some want to throw Trump and the company in question a party. The bonuses from these companies are little more than an empty gesture. It's just PR from the company to set up more corporate welfare in the future.

It is a direct result, because they want more corporate welfare. So they throw their workers some crumbs(one time) and some want to throw Trump and the company in question a party. The bonuses from these companies are little more than an empty gesture. It's just PR from the company to set up more corporate welfare in the future.

I agree that some of these companies are doing this for good PR to promote tax cuts. But isn't that what they should do? And when that happens isn't that good for their employees?

I suppose that is what they should do. For the average employee it makes very little difference. If I were a share-holder I would be happy.

I think what Pan is getting at is the fact that some people don't see the motives behind these announcements.

Edit-sorry @TheComebackKid I had trouble inserting your quote.

Last edited:
I agree that some of these companies are doing this for good PR to promote tax cuts. But isn't that what they should do? And when that happens isn't that good for their employees?
Yes, it was good for those of us that got it. I was not mad at my employer for giving me an extra $1000 for doing nothing.

Back