Law Affirmative Action Abolished: U.S Supreme Court Outlaws Racial Discrimination In College Admissions.

Op/Ed: Harvard Undermined Itself on Affirmative Action
By David French | June 29, 2023

29French-mobileMasterAt3x.jpg

There’s an old saying in the legal profession: Bad facts make bad law. Courts and lawmakers will often react to extreme facts in unhelpful ways, by fashioning rules that are difficult or unjust to apply in more normal circumstances. The war on drugs, for example, has spawned a host of legal overreactions that have diminished American civil liberties. A perceived crisis can empower a draconian response.

Sometimes, however, bad facts highlight the need for better law. On Thursday, the Supreme Court ruled that, in the case of college admissions, the bad facts of racial discrimination created the necessity of a new standard. The defendant, Harvard, had repeatedly undermined its own case for race-conscious affirmative action, and the court’s new precedent outlaws racial discrimination in admissions while still preserving the state’s ability to respond to the legacy of past injustice.

To understand why Harvard lost — and why race-based affirmative action in public colleges and federally funded private schools is now unlawful — it’s necessary to understand two key facts about the case. First, the evidence is overwhelming that Harvard actively discriminated against Asian applicants. As Chief Justice John Roberts notes in his majority opinion, a Black student in the fourth-lowest academic decile had a higher chance of admission to Harvard than an Asian student in the top decile.

This discrimination wasn’t unique to Harvard. As Chief Justice Roberts makes clear, the University of North Carolina — which was a defendant in a separate case about its admissions process — also imposed far tougher admission standards on Asian students. Compounding the injustice, Asian Americans were already historically marginalized. As Justice Clarence Thomas details in his concurrence, “Asian Americans can hardly be described as the beneficiaries of historical racial advantages.”

There is no American population that should face discrimination because of its race. But it’s particularly unjust to target a community for discriminatory treatment that’s been targeted for so much of American history. Asian Americans faced immigration restrictions and segregation. The United States government even interned many of its Japanese American citizens in government camps during World War II.

As if these facts weren’t bad enough, Harvard specifically rejected alternative, race-blind formulations that could have achieved comparable student diversity. As Justice Neil Gorsuch notes in his concurrence, the plaintiffs in the case submitted evidence that “Harvard could nearly replicate the current racial composition of its student body without resorting to race-based practices,” if it gave socioeconomically disadvantaged students just half the advantage it gave recruited athletes and if it eliminated preferences for “the children of donors, alumni, and faculty.”

These advantages “undoubtedly benefit white and wealthy applicants the most,” Justice Gorsuch writes, and perpetuate a system in which Harvard both favored certain classes of predominantly white applicants and discriminated against Asians, a historically disadvantaged minority. These were dreadful facts to defend in court.

Where does this leave the law? The top-line answer is simple, but the consequences are complicated. The court struck down the use of race as a factor in college admissions, but it left in place a number of alternative admissions measures that can both increase diversity and address real injustice. First, as Justice Thomas explains, “Even today, nothing prevents the states from according an admissions preference to identified victims of discrimination.” In such a case, the preference is related to a specific injustice.

Justice Thomas provided additional examples of acceptable preferences: “If an applicant has less financial means (because of generational inheritance or otherwise), then surely a university may take that into account. If an applicant has medical struggles or a family member with medical concerns, a university may consider that too. What it cannot do is use the applicant’s skin color as a heuristic.”

Again, these are all individualized determinations, but those individualized determinations would still have systemic effects. As Justice Ketanji Brown Jackson eloquently argues in her dissent: “Gulf-sized race-based gaps exist with respect to the health, wealth and well-being of American citizens. They were created in the distant past, but have indisputably been passed down to the present day through the generations.” She is exactly right, but those gulf-sized gaps can be addressed with race-neutral policies targeted at wealth, income and in some circumstances health.

In other words, because of past injustice, race-neutral policies can have race-disproportionate outcomes without engaging in invidious discrimination against innocent applicants. To treat all economically disadvantaged kids the same, regardless of race, results in both systemic change — Black and Latino youth would benefit disproportionately — and individual fairness. Moreover, by preserving the ability to consider specific accounts of racial discrimination, schools retain the ability to provide advantages to people who’ve confronted concrete acts of racial injustice.

The idea that schools can attain real diversity without engaging in racial discrimination in admissions is no mere theory. There are, in fact, specific examples of state university systems that have managed to become more diverse without engaging in race-based affirmative action. As Justice Thomas notes in his concurrence, both California and Michigan prohibit race-based affirmative action in their public universities, yet state schools in both states have boasted of enrolling extraordinarily diverse classes of students.

The consequences of the Supreme Court’s Harvard decision will reverberate throughout American law. There is no longer any such thing as “good” racial discrimination. There can be redress for actual discriminatory acts, but the idea that race by itself can be utilized as a proxy for achieving social progress is now almost certainly wiped away. Programs designed specifically around the race of the participants are going to face renewed scrutiny.

Dating from the first university affirmative action case — the Supreme Court’s 1978 decision in University of California v. Bakke — colleges had more than 40 years to fashion benign or benevolent schemes of racial classification. Yet Harvard and U.N.C. both demonstrate that even supposedly benevolent discrimination can look quite malevolent to applicants, in this case Asians in particular, who faced negative double standards because of their race.

No one doubts America’s dark history of racial discrimination. No one credibly doubts that racial discrimination continues to this day. But universities can respond to the legacy and reality of discrimination without creating new racial classifications and inflicting new racial harms on a new generation of Americans. There are better ways to achieve justice and fairness than by discriminating against any person because of the color of his or her skin.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/29/opinion/affirmative-action-supreme-court-harvard.html

Why I helped strike down Harvard affirmative action in the Supreme Court
By Rikki Schlott | June 29, 2023

NYPICHPDPICT000012734609.jpg

Calvin Yang, 21, joined the advocacy group Students for Fair Admissions in suing Harvard, alleging that the school’s race-conscious admissions practices systemically disadvantage Asian applicants. (The group also filed a complaint against the University of North Carolina.) After the US Supreme Court found in the group’s favor Thursday, Yang tells Rikki Schlott why the fight was worth it.

I had a 3.9 GPA, a 1550 SAT score, two varsity sports, my own political policy startup and a spot on Canada’s 30 Under 30 list when I applied to Harvard.

It was my dream school. And, when I was rejected, I couldn’t help but wonder whether my skin color was the reason why.

That’s why I joined Students for Fair Admissions in their case against Harvard University, seeking to overturn race-conscious admissions practices that I believe disadvantage Asian college applicants like me.

Finally, two years later, we just emerged victorious in the Supreme Court.

While I was thrilled when I got the news that the court had ruled that the Harvard and University of North Carolina’s affirmative action programs were in violation of the Fourteenth Amendment and federal civil rights law, I’m not all that surprised.

The court has sided with us and affirmed that Asian Americans are routinely being penalized because their last name is Kim or Lee.

I believe affirmative action is a well-intentioned idea that is poorly executed in reality. I appreciate the desire to incubate a diverse generation of America’s future leaders, but, at the same time, the current system hurts Asian applicants. And that is just a fact.

When I was applying to college in 2020, I did everything I could to appear “less Asian” on my applications. I even glossed over the fact that I was a very talented piano player because I was afraid it might strike an admissions officer as too stereotypical.

The fact that our skin color is a disadvantage in the application process is just an open secret in the Asian American community. I constantly hear from high-school students who reach out to me concerned about their admissions prospects because of their ethnicity.

Every online forum or parent group chat for families in the college application process is filled with tips on how to make your application seem less Asian. That’s just so sad.

But all of that is going to change now, thanks to the Supreme Court.

We still don’t know exactly how the colleges are going to change their admissions practices in response to this ruling, but there’s no question in my mind that it will bring about more equity.

Going forward, Asian students are going to be able to focus more on who they are as people rather than trying to appear less Asian for an admissions officer.

I definitely think I would have emphasized different aspects of my application and not played down my race had affirmative action been struck down before I applied to colleges.

I can only speculate, but I think my chances of getting into Harvard would have been higher. It’s definitely possible that race-conscious admissions were what stood between me and my dream school.

And, even if I still didn’t get in, I wouldn’t be left to wonder if it was because I’m Chinese-Canadian.

But, that said, I’m not at all resentful. I don’t have some personal vendetta against Harvard. I’m a rising junior focused on legal studies and political economics at the University of California, Berkeley, and I absolutely love my school.

I’m not fighting for myself; I’m fighting for my community at large.

I prefer to look forward, not backwards. One day I hope to have kids, and I’m glad they’ll grow up in a society that judges them based on their character rather than their last name or the color of their skin.

The Supreme Court’s ruling marks a pretty monumental step in the history of Asians in this country.

For so long we have been the model minority that doesn’t stand up and fight for our own rights. But today we’re stepping up.

I hope that Asians will continue to fight for our rightful place in this country and to be acknowledged for our contributions to society.

https://nypost.com/2023/06/29/why-i-helped-strike-down-affirmative-action-in-the-supreme-court/

It makes no sense to handicap the highest performers in our communities. It just hurts the country as a whole.

If we really want to address inequality, then the Government needs to address...

Instead of lowering the bar, need to address underperformance and its root issues. As painful as that might be for some areas.

Judge Thomas response to Jakson:

Accordingly, JUSTICE JACKSON’s race-infused world view falls flat at each step. Individuals are the sum of their unique experiences, challenges, and accomplishments. What matters is not the barriers they face, but how they choose to confront them. And their race is not to blame for everything—good or bad—that happens in their lives. A contrary, myopic world view based on individuals’ skin color to the total exclusion of their personal choices is nothing short of racial determinism.

JUSTICE JACKSON then builds from her faulty premise to call for action, arguing that courts should defer to “experts” and allow institutions to discriminate on the basis of race. Make no mistake: Her dissent is not a vanguard of the in-nocent and helpless. It is instead a call to empower privileged elites, who will “tell us [what] is required to level the playing field” among castes and classifications that they alone can divine. Post, at 26; see also post, at 5–7 (GORSUCH, J., concurring) (explaining the arbitrariness of these classifications). Then, after siloing us all into racial castes and pitting those castes against each other, the dissent somehow believes that we will be able—at some undefined point—to “march forward together” into some utopian vision. Post, at 26 (opinion of JACKSON, J.). Social movements that invoke these sorts of rallying cries, historically, have ended disastrously.

Unsurprisingly, this tried-and-failed system defies both law and reason. Start with the obvious: If social reorganization in the name of equality may be justified by the mere fact of statistical disparities among racial groups, then that reorganization must continue until these disparities are fully eliminated, regardless of the reasons for the disparities and the cost of their elimination. If blacks fail a test at higher rates than their white counterparts (regardless of whether the reason for the disparity has anything at all to do with race), the only solution will be race-focused measures. If those measures were to result in blacks failing at yet higher rates, the only solution would be to double down. In fact, there would seem to be no logical limit to what the government may do to level the racial playing field—outright wealth transfers, quota systems, and racial preferences would all seem permissible. In such a system, it would not matter how many innocents suffer race-based injuries; all that would matter is reaching the race-based goal.

Worse, the classifications that JUSTICE JACKSON draws are themselves race-based stereotypes. She focuses on two hypothetical applicants, John and James, competing for admission to UNC. John is a white, seventh-generation legacy at the school, while James is black and would be the first in his family to attend UNC. Post, at 3. JUSTICE JACKSON argues that race-conscious admission programs are necessary to adequately compare the two applicants.

As an initial matter, it is not clear why James’s race is the only factor that could encourage UNC to admit him; his status as a first-generation college applicant seems to contextualize his application. But, setting that aside, why is it that John should be judged based on the actions of his great great-great-grandparents? And what would JUSTICE JACKSON say to John when deeming him not as worthy of admission: Some statistically significant number of white people had advantages in college admissions seven generations ago, and you have inherited their incurable sin?

Why I helped strike down Harvard affirmative action in the Supreme Court
By Rikki Schlott | June 29, 2023

NYPICHPDPICT000012734609.jpg

Calvin Yang, 21, joined the advocacy group Students for Fair Admissions in suing Harvard, alleging that the school’s race-conscious admissions practices systemically disadvantage Asian applicants. (The group also filed a complaint against the University of North Carolina.) After the US Supreme Court found in the group’s favor Thursday, Yang tells Rikki Schlott why the fight was worth it.

I had a 3.9 GPA, a 1550 SAT score, two varsity sports, my own political policy startup and a spot on Canada’s 30 Under 30 list when I applied to Harvard.

It was my dream school. And, when I was rejected, I couldn’t help but wonder whether my skin color was the reason why.

That’s why I joined Students for Fair Admissions in their case against Harvard University, seeking to overturn race-conscious admissions practices that I believe disadvantage Asian college applicants like me.

Finally, two years later, we just emerged victorious in the Supreme Court.

While I was thrilled when I got the news that the court had ruled that the Harvard and University of North Carolina’s affirmative action programs were in violation of the Fourteenth Amendment and federal civil rights law, I’m not all that surprised.

The court has sided with us and affirmed that Asian Americans are routinely being penalized because their last name is Kim or Lee.

I believe affirmative action is a well-intentioned idea that is poorly executed in reality. I appreciate the desire to incubate a diverse generation of America’s future leaders, but, at the same time, the current system hurts Asian applicants. And that is just a fact.

When I was applying to college in 2020, I did everything I could to appear “less Asian” on my applications. I even glossed over the fact that I was a very talented piano player because I was afraid it might strike an admissions officer as too stereotypical.

The fact that our skin color is a disadvantage in the application process is just an open secret in the Asian American community. I constantly hear from high-school students who reach out to me concerned about their admissions prospects because of their ethnicity.

Every online forum or parent group chat for families in the college application process is filled with tips on how to make your application seem less Asian. That’s just so sad.

But all of that is going to change now, thanks to the Supreme Court.

We still don’t know exactly how the colleges are going to change their admissions practices in response to this ruling, but there’s no question in my mind that it will bring about more equity.

Going forward, Asian students are going to be able to focus more on who they are as people rather than trying to appear less Asian for an admissions officer.

I definitely think I would have emphasized different aspects of my application and not played down my race had affirmative action been struck down before I applied to colleges.

I can only speculate, but I think my chances of getting into Harvard would have been higher. It’s definitely possible that race-conscious admissions were what stood between me and my dream school.

And, even if I still didn’t get in, I wouldn’t be left to wonder if it was because I’m Chinese-Canadian.

But, that said, I’m not at all resentful. I don’t have some personal vendetta against Harvard. I’m a rising junior focused on legal studies and political economics at the University of California, Berkeley, and I absolutely love my school.

I’m not fighting for myself; I’m fighting for my community at large.

I prefer to look forward, not backwards. One day I hope to have kids, and I’m glad they’ll grow up in a society that judges them based on their character rather than their last name or the color of their skin.

The Supreme Court’s ruling marks a pretty monumental step in the history of Asians in this country.

For so long we have been the model minority that doesn’t stand up and fight for our own rights. But today we’re stepping up.

I hope that Asians will continue to fight for our rightful place in this country and to be acknowledged for our contributions to society.

https://nypost.com/2023/06/29/why-i-helped-strike-down-affirmative-action-in-the-supreme-court/
He must be one of those...Asian white supremacists!

I wouldn't be opposed to all College Admissions being completely anonymous with Gender, Race, Location, Etc blind to the reviewers. Only allowing admission on merit.

Perhaps, but I think it's okay to use admissions as a way of lifting up people in need who haven't had the advantages of others. HOWEVER, we shouldn't be making assumptions about people due to their race, gender, or national origin.

If you're a poor and went to a really crappy public school that can easily be added to your admissions form--they shouldn't just assume such due to racial stereotypes.

Why the Champions of Affirmative Action Had to Leave Asian Americans Behind
The original concept in pursuit of diversity was vital and righteous. The way it was practiced was hard to defend.
By Jay Caspian Kang | June 30, 2023

Nearly a decade has passed since Students for Fair Admissions, or S.F.F.A., first filed a lawsuit against Harvard University over its race-based admissions policies. During that time, not much has changed about the particulars of the case, nor how they have been processed by both the courts and the public. The announcement of the Supreme Court’s ultimate ruling in the case—a 6–3 decision that effectively ends affirmative action in college admissions and most likely beyond—did not contain any surprises. Chief Justice John Roberts, writing for the majority, argued that “many universities have for too long wrongly concluded that the touchstone of an individual’s identity is not challenges bested, skills built, or lessons learned, but the color of their skin.” Justice Ketanji Brown Jackson, in dissent, wrote about “gulf-sized race-based gaps” and argued that racial preferences in admissions were necessary to address “the well-documented ‘intergenerational transmission of inequality’ that still plagues our citizenry.”

Asian Americans, the group whom the suit was supposedly about, have been oddly absent from the conversations that have followed the ruling. The repetitiveness of the affirmative-action debate has come about, in large part, because both the courts and the media have mostly ignored the Asian American plaintiffs and chosen, instead, to relitigate the same arguments about merit, white supremacy, and privilege. During the five years I spent covering this case, the commentators defending affirmative action almost never disproved the central claim that discrimination was taking place against Asian Americans, even as they dismissed the plaintiffs as pawns who had been duped by a conservative legal activist. They almost always redirected the conversation to something else—often legacy admissions.

The deflections were understandable. The evidence the plaintiffs had amassed that Harvard, in particular, discriminated against Asian applicants through a bizarre and unacceptable “personal rating” system is overwhelming. These facts, and, more important, the conservative composition of the Supreme Court, placed the defenders of affirmative action in a bit of a discursive and legal corner. If you acknowledged that Harvard was, in fact, engaging in behavior that by any reasonable standard would be considered discriminatory and rooted in harmful stereotypes, it was nearly impossible to then turn around and say that the university should have the right to conduct its admissions in whatever manner it pleased. Why would anyone trust Harvard to do anything?

An air of inevitability also hung over the Court’s decision, which mostly made the specific claims of the plaintiffs irrelevant. The end of affirmative action really started in 1978, with Justice Lewis F. Powell, Jr.,’s opinion in Regents of the University of California v. Bakke—the first Supreme Court case on the matter—which tried to split the difference between a divided Court by arguing that the race of a candidate could be considered, but not as part of a reparative, quota-based program that tried to reduce the harms of slavery and injustice. Rather, race could only be considered by an admissions office that wanted, for the benefit of itself and its students, to produce a “diverse” student body.

Affirmative action, in my view, was doomed from that moment forward because it had been stripped of its moral force. It is one thing to argue that slavery, lynchings, Jim Crow laws, mass incarceration, and centuries of theft demand an educational system that factors in the effects of those atrocities. If that principle were to express itself in, say, a Black student who was descended from slaves and had grown up in poverty in an American inner city receiving a bump on his application when compared with a rich private-school kid from the suburbs, so be it. But that is not, in fact, how affirmative action usually plays out at élite schools. Most reporting on the subject—including my own, as well as a story in the Harvard Crimson—shows that descendants of slaves are relatively underrepresented among Black students at Harvard, compared with students from upwardly mobile Black immigrant families. It is easy and perhaps virtuous to defend the reparative version of affirmative action; it is harder to defend the system as it has actually been used.

Powell’s decision gave schools like Harvard—where, according to a study published in 2017, only four and a half per cent of the student body came from the bottom twenty per cent of the nation’s income earners and fifteen per cent of students came from families who make more than six hundred and thirty thousand dollars a year—the leeway to corrupt the original spirit of affirmative action and turn it into a counting game for rich kids. Harvard did not have to pursue such a comical vision of social justice. It could have vastly expanded its class sizes, relaxed its admissions standards, and cut off its pipelines from exclusive private schools. It could have opened its doors to hundreds of community-college transfers. If Harvard were truly committed to increasing access to an élite education, it could have invested a fraction of its fifty-three-billion-dollar endowment in free college-preparatory academies across America and guided hundreds of poor Black and Latino students through the university’s gates.

Harvard, of course, did none of this and chose instead to chase an absurd and empty vision of diversity that allowed it to stay as exclusive as possible. Institutional arrogance and the refusal to actually produce a defensible affirmative-action system made the university an easy mark for conservative legal activists.

But there were other legal factors that made the decision inevitable. Prior law dictated that race could only be used as a “positive” when it came to college admissions and not as a “negative,” which was in line with the equal-protection clause. What “negative” meant was quite simple: your race could not harm your chances, nor could stereotypes be used to make negative assumptions about you. In Grutter v. Bollinger, the 2003 affirmative-action case concerning the University of Michigan’s law school, Justice Sandra Day O’Connor famously expressed the hope that the practice would no longer be necessary in “twenty-five years,” which effectively placed a timer on how long race-based admissions would be around. Affirmative action was toppled five years ahead of schedule, simply because an admissions office clearly relied upon stereotypes—in this case, casting many Asian applicants as hardworking grinds with little personality. (Harvard has consistently denied that this is the case.)

It is almost certain that élite schools such as Harvard will more or less carry on with their diversity missions, albeit with even less transparency than before. On Thursday, the Times published a story about how selective colleges will achieve racial diversity through other means, including teacher recommendations and personal essays. Jeannie Suk Gersen has also argued in these pages that such so-called proxy programs will likely allow these schools to maintain the number of Black and Latino students on their campuses. Such practices, along with the elimination of standardized testing, will probably have the effect of capping the number of Asian students admitted—which means that despite winning a multiyear lawsuit in the highest court in the land, S.F.F.A. and its supporters may actually find themselves in an even more opaque and arbitrary admissions climate than before.

So where did Asians actually fit into this picture, as imagined by the defenders of affirmative action? The word “Asian” appears only three times in Justice Jackson’s twenty-nine-page dissent—once as a footnote, once as part of a list of median household incomes compared across racial groups, and then again as part of the following statement: “a higher percentage of the most academically excellent in-state Black candidates . . . were denied admission than similarly qualified White and Asian American applicants.” The dissent, which details the lengthy history of discrimination against Black people, never mentions the history of racism against Asians in America, whether the lynching of Chinese immigrants in the nineteenth century, the Chinese Exclusion Act, or Japanese internment. If a society should make decisions with a clear eye toward history—a sentiment I agree with—shouldn’t it also follow that a group who was expelled from the U.S. would at least have the right to not be lumped in with the people who kicked them out? Shouldn’t their contemporary claims of discrimination warrant some serious consideration?

Justice Sonia Sotomayor’s dissent discusses Asian Americans a bit more, and acknowledges they also suffer from racism, but her defense of affirmative action goes further in showing how Asians are shortchanged in the undignified competition to join America’s multicultural élite. “There is no question that the Asian American community continues to struggle against potent and dehumanizing stereotypes in our society,” Sotomayor writes. “It is precisely because racial discrimination persists in our society, however, that the use of race in college admissions to achieve racially diverse classes is critical to improving cross-racial understanding and breaking down racial stereotypes.”

In Sotomayor’s telling, Asian Americans who are concerned about being racially stereotyped should attend “diverse” universities, where they can help dispel people’s misconceptions by simply existing and getting along with their peers. She then goes on to argue that race-conscious admissions allow Asian American applicants “who would be less likely to be admitted without a comprehensive understanding of their background” to “explain the value of their unique background heritage, and perspective” and allow colleges to “consider the vast differences within [that] community.” It’s hard not to read this as a premise for Asian American teen-agers to essentially dance for acceptance, or to try to distinguish themselves from other Asian Americans by explaining to the good people at the Harvard admissions office why, say, a Vietnamese applicant is more valuable to the Ivy League cultural texture than just another Chinese one.

These opinions betray the corruption of affirmative action’s original righteous, reparative promise, and the way in which a program that was designed for a racially binary America never got meaningfully updated for today’s multiracial democracy. After five years of covering this story, I have found very little to admire about how élite colleges played their decadent racial-preference game. While I do believe that most colleges will be able to maintain some kind of racial diversity on their campuses, I have no faith that the processes they use to do so will be any better than the broken system they’re trying to replace. The conversation will not change.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/our-...ve-action-had-to-leave-asian-americans-behind

Last edited:
Why Dems aren’t campaigning on affirmative action
By NICHOLAS WU | 07/01/2023

“I don’t see it as a rallying point for Democrats,” said Rep. Mark Takano (D-Calif.), who supports affirmative action and credits it for helping him get into Harvard College
Democrats in Congress teed off on the Supreme Court’s decision this week gutting affirmative action. Just don’t expect them to do a whole lot about it.

Party leaders see the court’s rightward lurch as a key part of their 2024 messaging. But even some staunch supporters of affirmative action in the Democratic Tri-Caucus — the name for the three congressional groups dedicated to advocating for people of color — aren’t convinced that the end of affirmative action in higher education will sway many voters.

“I don’t see it as a rallying point for Democrats,” said Rep. Mark Takano (D-Calif.), who supports affirmative action and credits it for helping him get into Harvard College.

Sunsetting the policy “does not necessarily end the ability to achieve diversity in higher education,” Takano added. “It just makes it more difficult.”

That attitude reflects the fatalism with which many in the party have come to view the Supreme Court’s conservative tilt. Even if they controlled both chambers of Congress and the White House, Democrats lack the 60 Senate votes that are necessary to realistically promise action on reversing controversial landmark decisions on issues like abortion, affirmative action and student loans.

Instead, it’s more fodder for Democrats to rally voters against the conservative court — a point they think could be more effective than spending political capital to combat certain rulings.

“I do think this decision will galvanize voters who are concerned about the dream of a higher education for their communities,” said Rep. Judy Chu (D-Calif.), the chair of the Congressional Asian Pacific American Caucus. “I just hope that it becomes abundantly and crystal clear that, for Americans across the country, the Supreme Court and the extreme Republican candidates are not on their side.”

Democrats are now looking for other legislative options to boost minority admissions at colleges, like ending legacy admissions that benefit children of alumni. Even that bill, introduced by progressive Rep. Jamaal Bowman (D-N.Y.), has a slim chance at passage, but it’s a message that resonates with other Democrats who see the proposal as another way to help level the playing field.

“If the Supreme Court does away with affirmative action, but leaves in place rampant legacy-based admissions, then it’s making merit a mere label rather than a reality,” said Rep. Joaquin Castro (D-Texas).

Part of Democrats’ problem is the broad nature of the decision, which struck down the general practice of considering race in college admissions without ruling on a specific statute. Top Democrats openly acknowledge that they won’t be able to resurrect affirmative action-type policies.

“This is going to cause some heartburn, but we need to campaign on the fact that we are opening opportunities to everybody, and we’ll do everything we can to maintain opportunities,” said Virginia Rep. Bobby Scott, the top Democrat on the Education and Workforce Committee. “It’s difficult to bring back a strategy that the Supreme Court has directly ruled as unconstitutional.”

One option, Scott said, is having the Biden administration file lawsuits against universities to ensure fairness in admissions — including against legacy admissions practices that disproportionately benefit upper-class white people.

“We expect the attorney general and the civil rights office of the Department of Education to be very aggressive,” he said.

President Joe Biden hasn’t indicated any specific moves to that effect, but it’s already clear he’s not willing to take steps that the left wing of his party wants. In response to a question Thursday on whether the current Supreme Court is a “rogue court,” he said it was “not a normal court.” He has also declined to endorse other liberal proposals like expanding the number of justices.

Meanwhile, some Democratic lawmakers have called for reigning in the Supreme Court’s power, especially amid recent ethics controversies that have cast a harsh light on the court’s inner workings. Changes to that effect are essentially impossible during divided government, however, especially as Republicans widely praise the high court’s rulings.

Yet those calls for a high court overhaul don’t seem likely to go away anytime soon. They could become a sticking point in the 2024 campaign, whether Biden likes it or not.

“I’m pretty pissed off,” said Bowman, adding the court was “dangerous” and calling for “Supreme Court reform immediately.” He cited court expansion and term limits for justices as potential changes, both of which face slim odds of adoption given the Republican-controlled House and Democrats’ slim majority in the Senate.

Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer went so far as to blast the court in a statement as a “MAGA-captured Supreme Court” that “achieved dangerous, regressive policies that they could never attain at the ballot box.”

But Democrats remained hopeful that colleges and administrators would be able to find other ways to diversify their student bodies without Congress’ help. As Rep. Marilyn Strickland (D-Wash.) advised her colleagues: “Let’s be creative, let’s be collaborative.”

To that end, Harvard leadership noted in a Thursday statement they’d comply with part of the Court’s decision allowing them to consider “an applicant’s discussion of how race affected his or her life, be it through discrimination, inspiration, or otherwise.”

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/07/01/democrats-campaigning-affirmative-action-00104450

Why Dems aren’t campaigning on affirmative action
By NICHOLAS WU | 07/01/2023

“I don’t see it as a rallying point for Democrats,” said Rep. Mark Takano (D-Calif.), who supports affirmative action and credits it for helping him get into Harvard College

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/07/01/democrats-campaigning-affirmative-action-00104450

Yeah, when the majority of Americans agree on AA being...well...shit, it's probably not the wisest idea to tell them they're wrong for too long.

Now here's something that everyone can get behind without being a racist: end the automatic admission for the nepo babies.

Colleges that still do this shouldn't be allowed to accept a dime of public funding.

Legacy college admissions come under renewed scrutiny

BY COLLIN BINKLEY | June 30, 2023

WASHINGTON (AP) — The next big fight over college admissions already has taken hold, and it centers on a different kind of minority group that gets a boost: children of alumni.

In the wake of a Supreme Court decision that strikes down affirmative action in admissions, colleges are coming under renewed pressure to put an end to legacy preferences — the practice of favoring applicants with family ties to alumni. Long seen as a perk for the white and wealthy, opponents say it’s no longer defensible in a world with no counterbalance in affirmative action.

President Joe Biden suggested colleges should rethink the practice after the court’s ruling, saying legacy preferences “expand privilege instead of opportunity.” Several Democrats in Congress demanded an end to the policy in light of the court’s decision to remove race from the admissions process. So did Republicans including Sen. Tim Scott of South Carolina, who is vying for the GOP presidential nomination.

“Let’s be clear: affirmative action still exists for white people. It’s called legacy admissions,” Rep. Barbara Lee, a California Democrat, said on Twitter.

For critics of legacy admissions, the renewed debate over fairness in admissions has offered a chance to swing public sentiment behind their cause.

As colleges across the U.S. pledge their commitment to diversity following the court’s ruling, activists have a simple response: prove it. If schools want to enroll more Black, Hispanic and Indigenous students, activists say, removing legacy preferences would be an easy first step.

“Now more than ever, there’s no justification for allowing this process to continue,” said Viet Nguyen, a graduate of Brown and Harvard who leads Ed Mobilizer, a nonprofit that has fought legacy preferences since 2018. “No other country in the world does legacy preferences. Now is a chance to catch up with the rest of the world.”

Using the Supreme Court decision as a catalyst, Nguyen’s group is rallying the alumni of top colleges to press their alma maters to end the practice. The goal is to get graduates of the 30 schools to withhold donations until the policy ends. The schools include Harvard and the University of North Carolina, which were at the center of the court case, along with the rest of the Ivy League and the University of Southern California.

It builds on other efforts taking aim at the practice. Colorado banned it at public universities in 2021, and lawmakers in Connecticut, Massachusetts and New York have introduced similar bills. In Congress, Rep. Jamaal Bowman of New York and Sen. Jeff Merkley of Oregon, both Democrats, are reviving legislation that would forbid it at all universities that accept federal money.

Legacy preferences have become an easy target in the wake of a Supreme Court decision that hinged on questions of merit in the college application process, said Julie Park, who studies college admissions and racial equity at the University of Maryland. Instead of getting in on their own merit, she said, legacy students are just “standing on their parents’ shoulders.”

“It’s just low-hanging fruit,” she said. “People want something to do, and there’s a strong rationale to get rid of it.”

Secretary Miguel Cardona urged colleges to “ask themselves the tough questions,” adding that legacy admissions and other types of special treatment “have long denied well-qualified students of all backgrounds a level playing field.”

“In the wake of this ruling, they could further tip the scales against students who already have the cards stacked against them,” Cardona said in a statement to The Associated Press.

In the hazy world of college admissions, it’s unclear exactly which schools provide a legacy boost and how much it helps. In California, where state law requires schools to disclose the practice, USC reported that 14% of last year’s admitted students had family ties to alumni or donors. Stanford reported a similar rate.

At Harvard, which released years of records as part of the lawsuit that ended up before the Supreme Court, legacy students were eight times more likely to be admitted, and nearly 70% were white, researchers found.

An Associated Press survey of the nation’s most selective colleges last year found that legacy students in the freshman class ranged from 4% to 23%. At four schools — Notre Dame, USC, Cornell and Dartmouth — legacy students outnumbered Black students.

Supporters of the policy say it builds an alumni community and encourages donations. A 2022 study of an undisclosed college in the Northeast found that legacy students were more likely to make donations, but at a cost to diversity — the vast majority were white.

Some prestigious colleges have abandoned the policy in recent years, including Amherst College and Johns Hopkins University. In the first year after dropping it, Amherst saw its share of legacy students in the freshman class fall by about half, while 19% of first-year students were the first in their families to attend college, the most in the school’s history.

Several colleges declined to say whether they will continue providing a boost for legacy students next year, including Cornell and the University of Notre Dame.

Meanwhile, Nguyen said he’s more optimistic than ever. In the past, colleges have been reluctant to be among the first to make the change, he said. Now he thinks that’s changing.

“In the next few months, I think the hesitancy will actually be who will be the last,” he said. “No university wants to be the last.”

https://apnews.com/article/supreme-...e-admissions-5d6f34a13045752c6a37db67c66c7d63

Last edited:
The next president is happy profiling people based on the color of their skin ever for colleges

Most Americans approve of Supreme Court decision restricting use of race in college admissions

abc%20news%20graphic%207.1.23%20jpeg.jpg

A majority of Americans approve of the Supreme Court ruling restricting the use of race as a factor in college admissions, though the country is more divided on other high-profile rulings and increasingly viewing the court as driven more by politics than the law, according to a new ABC News/Ipsos poll conducted using Ipsos' KnowledgePanel.

On Thursday, the Supreme Court set new limits on affirmative action programs in cases involving whether public and private colleges and universities can continue to use race as one factor among many in student admissions.

A little more than half of Americans -- 52% -- approve of the U.S. Supreme Court decision on restricting the use of race as a factor in college admissions, while 32% disapprove and 16% saying they don't know.

A majority of Republicans (75%) and independents (58%) approve of the ruling, while a distinct minority of Democrats approve (26%).

And there are deep divisions between racial groups. Most white people (60%) and Asian people (58%) approve of the Supreme Court's decision to limit the use of race in college admissions, while only 25% of Black people support the decision. Hispanic people are split, with 40% approving and 40% disapproving.

https://abcnews.go.com/amp/Politics...n-restricting-race-college/story?id=100580375

Most Americans approve of Supreme Court decision restricting use of race in college admissions

A majority of Americans approve of the Supreme Court ruling restricting the use of race as a factor in college admissions, though the country is more divided on other high-profile rulings and increasingly viewing the court as driven more by politics than the law, according to a new ABC News/Ipsos poll conducted using Ipsos' KnowledgePanel.

On Thursday, the Supreme Court set new limits on affirmative action programs in cases involving whether public and private colleges and universities can continue to use race as one factor among many in student admissions.

A little more than half of Americans -- 52% -- approve of the U.S. Supreme Court decision on restricting the use of race as a factor in college admissions, while 32% disapprove and 16% saying they don't know.

A majority of Republicans (75%) and independents (58%) approve of the ruling, while a distinct minority of Democrats approve (26%).

And there are deep divisions between racial groups. Most white people (60%) and Asian people (58%) approve of the Supreme Court's decision to limit the use of race in college admissions, while only 25% of Black people support the decision. Hispanic people are split, with 40% approving and 40% disapproving.

https://abcnews.go.com/amp/Politics...n-restricting-race-college/story?id=100580375
Whale, whale, whale.

<BC1>

Well of course black people don't want to compete on merit

Well of course black people don't want to compete on merit

Affirmitive Action, in this context, didnt remove the need for equal merit. But not surprised you think that's what it did.

Affirmitive Action, in this context, didnt remove the need for equal merit. But not surprised you think that's what it did.

Equal? You are claiming that black and Asian students needed equal merit? Because that has been shown to be a straight up lie.

No doubt. I personally know a chick (black female) who got into med school with a fucking 24 on her MCAT.

Equal? You are claiming that black and Asian students needed equal merit? Because that has been shown to be a straight up lie.

No surprise there.
He who robs Peter to pay Paul will always have the vote of Paul.

What I'm saying is there's standards to get into Ivy League schools, Affirmitive Action was utilized as a diversity measure so that schools could consider race among all other requirements. It didnt remove any other requirements. The idea is always perpetuated that any AA Admissions were not qualified to be there. That's false.

"At Harvard, Black and Native American females graduate at higher rates (100%) than anyone else (e.g., 97.7% for Asian students, and 97.6% for white students). But that's a tiny difference. In fact, it's statistically no different. And that's the point: Students at Harvard (as well as most of the other Ivy League schools) all graduate at roughly the same rates. When you consider differences in family situations, income, background, etc., that's actually astounding. And when you consider the average Ivy League graduation rate (around 95%) against the average, American college graduation rate (42%), it's even more so. It means Ivy League committees know what they're doing. It means, the minor differences between accepted applicants truly are minor. It means, whatever "rebalancing" committees do in considering the whole applicants picture is effective. So, insofar as the question of whether minority accepts are less qualified than white or Asian accepts, it's a non-question."

What I'm saying is there's standards to get into Ivy League schools, Affirmitive Action was utilized as a diversity measure so that schools could consider race among all other requirements. It didnt remove any other requirements. The idea is always perpetuated that any AA Admissions were not qualified to be there. That's false.

"At Harvard, Black and Native American females graduate at higher rates (100%) than anyone else (e.g., 97.7% for Asian students, and 97.6% for white students). But that's a tiny difference. In fact, it's statistically no different. And that's the point: Students at Harvard (as well as most of the other Ivy League schools) all graduate at roughly the same rates. When you consider differences in family situations, income, background, etc., that's actually astounding. And when you consider the average Ivy League graduation rate (around 95%) against the average, American college graduation rate (42%), it's even more so. It means Ivy League committees know what they're doing. It means, the minor differences between accepted applicants truly are minor. It means, whatever "rebalancing" committees do in considering the whole applicants picture is effective. So, insofar as the question of whether minority accepts are less qualified than white or Asian accepts, it's a non-question."

Laughable. You want to compare Harvard graduation rates to Mississippi Valley state and expect me to be surprised harvard has better graduation?

Also, I love this "So, insofar as the question of whether minority accepts are less qualified than white or Asian accepts, it's a non-question."

Asians, no longer minorities!

Back