Crime Alaska Airlines pilot charged with 83 counts of attempted murder for Flight Jacking

Rhood

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score

An off-duty Alaska Airlines pilot, identified by police as 44-year-old Joseph Emerson, was riding as a passenger aboard Flight 2059, operated by Horizon Air from Everett, Washington, to San Francisco, California, according to authorities and the airline.

He had hitched a ride in the flight deck "jump seat" of the cockpit, Alaska Airlines said in a statement on Monday.
At some point, crew on the flight "reported a credible security threat" related to the off-duty pilot, Alaska Airlines told Insider.

"The jump seat occupant unsuccessfully attempted to disrupt the operation of the engines," the airline said, adding, "The Horizon Captain and First Officer quickly responded, engine power was not lost and the crew secured the aircraft without incident."
"I'll just give you a heads-up. We've got the guy that tried to shut the engines down out of the cockpit," the pilot is heard saying, according to the audio. "It doesn't sound like he's causing any issue at the back right now. I think he's subdued."

When the flight landed in Portland just before 6:30 p.m., Port of Portland Police officers took Emerson into custody without incident, the department said.

Emerson was booked at the Multnomah County Detention Center and is now facing felony attempted murder charges, along with 83 misdemeanor counts of reckless endangerment, and a felony count of endangering an aircraft.
https://www.businessinsider.com/off...lot-arrested-charges-turn-off-engines-2023-10

Seems so fucking weird? Why wait until he's "Off Duty"?

Wouldn't it have been easier to wait until he was "On Duty", so it's just him and the Co-Pilot? Lock the doors, incapacitate the Co-pilot... then do your thing unhindered.

Not that I'm giving this whacko ideas or anything.

I've been on that flight before, I believe. Thankfully the worst of the flight was me being seriously motion sick. That was a flight I'll not forget.

Wouldn't it have been easier to wait until he was "On Duty", so it's just him and the Co-Pilot? Lock the doors, incapacitate the Co-pilot... then do your thing unhindered.

It's been done once before by a crazy co-pilot who locked the pilot out of the cabin and crashed the plane killing all on board.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/germanwings-pilot-locked-out-of-cockpit-before-plane-crash-1427359266

You're a special kind of bastard to do it. How assholes can't just off themselves and leave everyone else out of it always bums me out.

Well he ain't gona have a chance to do it again. He'll never see the light of day again considering the nature of the crime. Dude is fucked beyond belief.

Maybe he’s a company man and was trying to take out the competition.

That is absolutely horrifying

There was a case of a German pilot suiciding with everyone on board dying with him by flying into a mountain
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germanwings_Flight_9525

Same with a Chinese pilot
https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/18/china/china-eastern-crash-wsj-report-inlt-hnk/index.html

Let's not have that spread. If you wanna kill yourself whatever, don't kill a bunch of innocent people because you want to make a spectacle out of your death.
Yeah, if you want to make a spectacle of yourself become an optometrist.

What a crazy story. I wonder what causes something like. Did he have some personal problems, did he plan this out, or was it entire sudden and unpredictable.

Someone in my community had road rage and rammed a city vehicle. Otherwise normal person though you wouldn't have expected it.

It's been done once before by a crazy co-pilot who locked the pilot out of the cabin and crashed the plane killing all on board.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/germanwings-pilot-locked-out-of-cockpit-before-plane-crash-1427359266

You're a special kind of bastard to do it. How assholes can't just off themselves and leave everyone else out of it always bums me out.

Yeah, and I'm pretty sure it caused the airlines to adjust their security measures. I'm not sure if it's universal, but I think they don't have the post-9/11 cockpit doors that can be locked down, and I believe they can't have less than two people in the cockpit.

That was crazy, and all it took was the pilot leaving the cockpit to take a shit. I think I'll actually be more comfortable on a plane, when they're all AI controlled.

Just waiting for some bleeding heart to come to his defense about "mental illness".

“An off-duty airline pilot riding in an extra cockpit seat on a Horizon Air flight said “I'm not OK” just before trying to cut the engines midflight and later told police he had recently taken psychedelic mushrooms as his mental health worsened, according to charging documents made public Tuesday”

Imagine coming down from a trip and realizing you have 83 attempted murder charges.

I mean, you'd think at some point the total # of attempted murder charges should just result in a quick bullet to the head - save everyone time and money and you never have to worry about the guy again.

What a crazy story. I wonder what causes something like. Did he have some personal problems, did he plan this out, or was it entire sudden and unpredictable.

Someone in my community had road rage and rammed a city vehicle. Otherwise normal person though you wouldn't have expected it.

I think it was a mental health crisis. In one of the articles I read apparently he said something to the effect of I don’t feel right before he did it.

That is absolutely horrifying

There was a case of a German pilot suiciding with everyone on board dying with him by flying into a mountain
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germanwings_Flight_9525

Same with a Chinese pilot
https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/18/china/china-eastern-crash-wsj-report-inlt-hnk/index.html

Let's not have that spread. If you wanna kill yourself whatever, don't kill a bunch of innocent people because you want to make a spectacle out of your death.

I remember both of these colossal douchbags.

Takes a very special type of asshole to commit mass murder-suicide like that.

“An off-duty airline pilot riding in an extra cockpit seat on a Horizon Air flight said “I'm not OK” just before trying to cut the engines midflight and later told police he had recently taken psychedelic mushrooms as his mental health worsened, according to charging documents made public Tuesday”

Imagine coming down from a trip and realizing you have 83 attempted murder charges.
Took mushrooms, hadn't slept for 40 hours, was depressed, and a friend recently died.

Man this is such a fear of mine. I know pilots go through mental health screenings every so often but it's still not enough as we can see. The biggest safety feature so far is having more than one personnel in the cockpit. In fact there have been some arguments about wanting three people in the cockpit at all times

Back