Alexander Karelin

Explain...Please

Rulon Gardner won just because Karelin broke a new rule they hade started to use, cant remember what it was but it was ridicoules... and Rulon Gardner got a point for karelins "foul/mistake/rule breaking"... and then Rulon won the match with that point. He didnt score a single point on karelin, it was karelin who scored a point on himself for rulon.

actual quotes from rulon gardner:

"He made a mistake, and I got a lucky call,"-Rulon Gardner
"I told him, 'You're still the best. There's nobody close to as good as you are.'" -Rulon Gardner

is that how gardner won? jeez

karelin appeared in a rings show and it appeared to be a work, from the looks of it.

it's too bad: if he was 15 years younger, i'd suspect the word "fedor" would have been replaced with "alexander"

Back in the day during the olympics it had some outtakes of him and his workouts.

It reminded my of the Rocky movie when Sly was walking with logs through deep snow.

I have no doubt they got the idea from Alexander.

He had a quote about his training that went something like this:

"I train everyday like my opponents have never trained even once."

and I actually believe him.

I've heard he could clean and press 420 pounds

But seriously, to see why he is so legendary just look at a picture of him. Jesus christ the guy was huge.

Lot's of guys his size and bigger in olympic wrestling. He was freaky strong, fast, and agile, with very good technique ... not really what you want in a 300 pound opponent. There were others as big and strong as him, but none as fast, explosive, or with such good technique. The GR guys who had to wrestle him admit to being nervous about getting onto the mats - and normally no one admits to being afraid of anything.

Lot's of guys his size and bigger in olympic wrestling. He was freaky strong, fast, and agile, with very good technique ... not really what you want in a 300 pound opponent. There were others as big and strong as him, but none as fast, explosive, or with such good technique. The GR guys who had to wrestle him admit to being nervous about getting onto the mats - and normally no one admits to being afraid of anything.

Quoted for truth!

We are talking olmpic level here folks.

Imagine an opponent purposeley tapping out early in a semifinal match to save him self for the bronze medal final?

Well that is exactly what one wrestler did!

He said rather than wrestle karelin straight up and get thrown and maybe hurt, he allowed himself to be pinned almost right away in order to be able to have a good chance at the bronze medal!

THAT is intimidation!

Rulon Gardner won just because Karelin broke a new rule they hade started to use, cant remember what it was but it was ridicoules... and Rulon Gardner got a point for karelins "foul/mistake/rule breaking"... and then Rulon won the match with that point. He didnt score a single point on karelin, it was karelin who scored a point on himself for rulon.

actual quotes from rulon gardner:

"He made a mistake, and I got a lucky call,"-Rulon Gardner
"I told him, 'You're still the best. There's nobody close to as good as you are.'" -Rulon Gardner

great honestly from Gardner

Swedish wrestler Tomas Johansson (multiple international/olympic medals) said that his greatest accomplishment was scoring ONE point agaisnt Karelin

Back in the day during the olympics it had some outtakes of him and his workouts.

It reminded my of the Rocky movie when Sly was walking with logs through deep snow.

read some article that stated that during his active years cross training was very popular in Russia/Soviet, he wouldn't know what to do from one day to another

He rowed a boat for hours in a swamp/marsh, like rowing thru frekkin mud!

So I take it this guy is like the yamashita of wrestling? haha, forgive me, I'm an ignorant bastard when it comes to wrestling.

He has always been my idol and he was actually one of the first guys to do an MMA match against some japanese dude and beat him up pretty good. I heard he might make a guest fighting appearing in the M-1.

Not to take anything away from a wrestling god, which he is, but that MMA fight was a fix, and a obvious one at that. Looked more like a WWE match..

So I take it this guy is like the yamashita of wrestling? haha, forgive me, I'm an ignorant bastard when it comes to wrestling.

Yes, though he was even more successful ... three gold medals, didn't even have a point scored against him for years etc. If Yamashita had stayed competitive for another 12 years he'd have had the same record as Karelin. There are very few athletes in any sport with Karelin's dominance ... the only one I can think of off hand is Al Oerter, who won 4 discuss gold medals in a row.

Put it this way... The best way to phrase it, to give you an idea: "Rickson is the Karelin of BJJ". Except where Rickson's record seems foggy and difficult to take serious, Karelin is 100% legit, recorded on paper and video, and still another level above.

If Fedor fights for another 10 years and does not lose, he might approach Karelin's level of superhuman dominance.

there is no doubt in my mind that Royce Gracie would have died if Karelin had enterd UFC1

there is no doubt in my mind that Royce Gracie would have died if Karelin had enterd UFC1

I think they would have had Rickson fight instead of Royce.

Still, he may have died...

If it was Karelin in the Rocky movie Rocky would have said "screw it, I didn't like Apollo THAT much". Karelin would make Drago look like a pussy.

In GR, when there is no score after the first period the wrestlers than have to enter into a clinch. You either score or the first person to break their grip losses a point.

To Rulon's credit, he was put in par terre position a couple times and survive. Alexander was gassed by the end of the match and Rulon deserved the win.

In GR, when there is no score after the first period the wrestlers than have to enter into a clinch. You either score or the first person to break their grip losses a point.

To Rulon's credit, he was put in par terre position a couple times and survive. Alexander was gassed by the end of the match and Rulon deserved the win.

Surviving is a ****phor for Gardner. The guy has survived being shot with an arrow, hit by a car while on a motorcycle, a plane crash into near freezing water; swimming in the water and being unsheltered in freezing weather overnight until someone came along and found him.

Gardner is by no means a pushover, it speaks volumes of both men.

Back