alice in chains unplugged is the greatest thing MTV ever did

Layne on the brink of death from heroin pulled off the unthinkable. he was puking his guts off from withdrawals, thats why he was late to the stage. This is the greatest performance ever recorded. how many years later, and it still is the go to. RIP Layne, hope you found peace

You might wanna go checkout Rob and Big and see if you still feel the same

Layne's vocal acrobatics when Sludge Factory is playing is legendary. It should be studied in music schools or something.

Besides creating "Headbanger's Ball", this is the top thing I can attribute to MTV. Love this set, and performance. Watch it a few times a year.

As far as Unplugged goes:

1.) Nirvana
2.) Alice in Chains
3.) Stone Temple Pilots

they were the first to do this unplugged and then the rest of the grunge followed even metalica did the unplugged.

Unplugged started in '89, Nirvana wasn't the first.

Or did you mean first grunge act? Becauae if Pearl Jam is considered grunge, they did it in '92. I personally consider Pearl Jam just regular ol' alternative and not really grunge.

Also Beaver and Buffcoat for the non-music stuff.

Unplugged started in '89, Nirvana wasn't the first.

Or did you mean first grunge act? Becauae if Pearl Jam is considered grunge, they did it in '92. I personally consider Pearl Jam just regular ol' alternative and not really grunge.

i didn't know bands were doing it before nirvana. the 90s rock bands somehow are classified as grunge music. just like punk music. i have no idea why. but pearl jam was one. smashing pumpkins was considered as one though they sound gothic

i didn't know bands were doing it before nirvana. the 90s rock bands somehow are classified as grunge music. just like punk music. i have no idea why. but pearl jam was one. smashing pumpkins was considered as one though they sound gothic
I've never understood why Smashing Pumpkins gets tagged as Grunge. Nothing about them is Grunge except the typical 90's alt-rock composition of instruments (guitar/guitar/bass/drums) and that a lot of that guitar is distorted. I'd say they're about as quintessential and example a band anyone could name of the broader Alternative Rock genre without belonging distinctively to any of its subgenres. It's not really Grunge or Post-Grunge or Goth or Emo or Hard Rock or anything else.

I've never understood why Smashing Pumpkins gets tagged as Grunge. Nothing about them is Grunge except the typical 90's alt-rock composition of instruments (guitar/guitar/bass/drums) and a lot of that guitar is distorted. I'd say they're about as quintessential and example a band anyone could name of the broader Alternative Rock genre without belonging distinctively to any of its subgenres. It's not really Grunge or Post-Grunge or Goth or Emo or Hard Rock or anything else.
Yeah, it doesn't make sense. Maybe its the association with Butch Vig. I don't understand how you could listen to Gish and come away thinking they were a grunge band.

I'd put Jane's Addiction as another band that didn't easily fall into any subgenres of the alternative music scene.

Aerosmith should really be part of this conversation.

I've never understood why Smashing Pumpkins gets tagged as Grunge. Nothing about them is Grunge except the typical 90's alt-rock composition of instruments (guitar/guitar/bass/drums) and a lot of that guitar is distorted. I'd say they're about as quintessential and example a band anyone could name of the broader Alternative Rock genre without belonging distinctively to any of its subgenres. It's not really Grunge or Post-Grunge or Goth or Emo or Hard Rock or anything else.

Grunge was just a loose association. A lot of bands from the greater scene were lumped together. Like Alice in Chains, Tad, and Soundgarden and a few others had a lot more metal, and sludge and stoner rock vibes and sounded nothing like Pearl Jam or Mother Love Bone who both had more influence from 70's arena rock and singer songwriter stuff like Neil Young and Van Morrison. Nirvana had heavier punk influences as well as o.g. modern/college rock influences (and their earlier stuff on Bleach and Incesticide often had sludge influences), The Smashing Pumpkins were influenced in part by shoegaze, the Meat Puppets had a lot of late 60's hippie era influences, etc.

There were some commonalities, the guitar sound for most of the bands was fuzzy or dirty/grungy sounding, heroin, disillusioned lyrics (most band members were born between the mid-60's and early 70's and grew up in a post-hippie, post-Vietnam, post-Watergate, decline of American made industires world with a wounded American Dream), and while they may have been influenced more by certain bands or styles they all grew up listening to similar music.

Back