Media Aljamain Sterling not interested fighting Movsar Evloev, says matchup "makes no sense"

He's not wrong. He's a former champion and coming off a win; it makes sense to give him a bigger name. I generally like the idea of big-name fighters coming off a loss being matched against rising lesser-known prospects.

Topuria-Max
Ortega-Aljo
Yair-Movsar

Make it happen, bald Goof.
Why wouldn’t he fight someone ranked higher to get a title shot

I’d actually be pretty interested in the Yair fight, it kind of makes them burn one guy as a contender permanently, which is somewhat sad but kind of necessary.

Sounds like stylistically the worst match for him as Mosvar can match and/or shut down Aljo’s grappling, maybe even impose his own

Yair he can backpack up

Ortgega will give up TDs and Aljo just has to watch for the gilly

He made a whole video weeks ago saying he'd fight ortega or movsar, but prefers ortega just because of the name value. He also said he has wrestled with many of the same guys movsar wrestles with, and he's VERY confident that his wrestling stacks up with movsars.

It is annoying, but aljo is just doing his best to get bigger names. He will do what the ufc tells him, though.

He doesn't sound very confident. "Big name" is amusing, Ortega is a very good matchup for him and Movsar is a very bad one. And Yair? Come the fuck on...big quacks.

They are trying to shove Sterling out the door as fast as they can. We all know what this is.

Wow..

I’ve defended Aljo a few times. But he is r8. Evloev is r5. This is a fight you want if you ever have title aspirations.

I’d actually be pretty interested in the Yair fight, it kind of makes them burn one guy as a contender permanently, which is somewhat sad but kind of necessary.
Idk if we can consider Yair a contender after Ortega clowned him like that. Yair beat Ortega half to death in the first round and then brought some real white belt level bjj and got subbed

He doesn't sound very confident. "Big name" is amusing, Ortega is a very good matchup for him and Movsar is a very bad one. And Yair? Come the fuck on...big quacks.

Ortega being a big name in general is confusing to me, but he's undeniably a more well known name than Movsar evloev. If you think Aljo of all people is scared of a predominant wrestler, then you are crazy. Nobody is scared of a guy that can't finish a sandwich. It's about the name and the clout, as it often is in the UFC, and Movsar doesn't have much of that.

Mind you, Sterling often says one thing, then ends up doing what the UFC wants. I wouldn't be surprised if this fight is official within a month.

Last edited:
Outside of Holloway0Topuria this fight actually makes the most sense in the entire division lol

If it doesnt make sense for someone its Movsar. Hes way higher in the title picture rankings. Aljo should get less ranked guy and then he might be ready.

Mivsar should be 1 fight away. And thats only because Ilya vs Max is huge. Actually if he took the fight Id put Volk vs him next.

Ortega being a big name in general is confusing to me, but he's undeniably a more well known name than Movsar evloev. If you think Aljo of all people is scared of a predominant wrestler, then you are crazy. Nobody is scared of a guy that can't finish a sandwich. It's about the name and the clout, as it often is in the UFC, and Movsar doesn't have much of that.

Mind you, Sterling often says one thing, then ends up doing what the UFC wants. I wouldn't be surprised if this fight is official within a month.

This is silly, this concept of "afraid" meaning afraid of what? Getting beaten up? No, fighters try to mitigate the potential of loss and the potential vs Movsar is far greater than that vs Ortega and even asking for Yair who's on a 2 loss skid? It's obvious. I don't think any 145er is literally scared of getting beaten up by another one, but I think guys do consciously avoid tougher matchups and pursue easier ones and that's what this sounds like to me, ducking. I also don't think a win over Evloev or Ortega makes much of a difference, either likely puts Aljo right in the title picture but the likelihood of beating Evloev is way lower, it's a much harder fight and Aljo knows that.

People forgetting that Aljos main training partner is probably the most versatile wrestler in the organization. He is not afraid of wrestlers.

This is silly, this concept of "afraid" meaning afraid of what? Getting beaten up? No, fighters try to mitigate the potential of loss and the potential vs Movsar is far greater than that vs Ortega and even asking for Yair who's on a 2 loss skid? It's obvious. I don't think any 145er is literally scared of getting beaten up by another one, but I think guys do consciously avoid tougher matchups and pursue easier ones and that's what this sounds like to me, ducking. I also don't think a win over Evloev or Ortega makes much of a difference, either likely puts Aljo right in the title picture but the likelihood of beating Evloev is way lower, it's a much harder fight and Aljo knows that.

I don't even think movsar is necessarily a tougher style match up for Aljo, so I guess I'm just having a hard time seeing it as ducking. I've seen movsar get out wrestled by a worst wrestler, and I've seen evloev's shit BJJ. Hell, evloev himself admitted that. On top of that evloev is a small FW and also has cotton candy for fists. At least Ortega can hurt people on the feet and has a knack for pulling subs our of his ass.

I don't know. It just doesn't seem like that bad match up to me, so I struggle to see what you're saying.

Last edited:
i think he’s unconfident in his chances. ortega is a more winnable fight with more name recognition. pretty much what aljo said actually.

Aljo has nothing for this division. I don’t know what he’s doing but I would like him to stop taking up space on ufc events. Atrocious performance last time out. Did nothing but blanket. It was the least damage I’ve seen inflicted in a fight in memory: the worst Aljo fight I have ever seen.

Eloev would destroy Aljo

He's not wrong. He's a former champion and coming off a win; it makes sense to give him a bigger name. I generally like the idea of big-name fighters coming off a loss being matched against rising lesser-known prospects.

Topuria-Max
Ortega-Aljo
Yair-Movsar

Make it happen, bald Goof.

Yair-Movsar is insulting lol, that's blatant that you're trying to give him the Belal treatment. Movsar should be in a #1 contender's fight, not fighting a guy coming off two stoppage losses.

I don't blame him for reacting that way, but the UFC already threw him a guy that was an easier stylistic matchup, he has to beat a tougher guy because his performance was pretty rough.

Back