Media Aljamain Sterling not interested fighting Movsar Evloev, says matchup "makes no sense"

Aljo's in a bit of an awkward spot at featherweight right now. He's not going to leapfrog Holloway or Volkanovski, so he probably won't be fighting for a title until at least mid-late 2025. I don’t think Aljo can just pick and choose his fights right now. Evloev is 8-0 in the UFC and has been impressive lately—it’s definitely not a step down. In my opinion, if Aljo wants to stand out and make some noise at featherweight, taking on and beating Evloev would really boost his respect in the division.

Aljo's in a bit of an awkward spot at featherweight right now. He's not going to leapfrog Holloway or Volkanovski, so he probably won't be fighting for a title until at least mid-late 2025. I don’t think Aljo can just pick and choose his fights right now. Evloev is 8-0 in the UFC and has been impressive lately—it’s definitely not a step down. In my opinion, if Aljo wants to stand out and make some noise at featherweight, taking on and beating Evloev would really boost his respect in the division.
Tbh, if something what Aljo could be afraid of in this matchup is, that it could 99% end up being a snooze fest and Dana will be hating them both. If one is not himself a guarantee highlight reel athlete, then they should stay away from a matchup with Decisiolaev.

He's not wrong. He's a former champion and coming off a win; it makes sense to give him a bigger name. I generally like the idea of big-name fighters coming off a loss being matched against rising lesser-known prospects.

Topuria-Max
Ortega-Aljo
Yair-Movsar

Make it happen, bald Goof.
Hes coming off a win

If it doesnt make sense for someone its Movsar. Hes way higher in the title picture rankings. Aljo should get less ranked guy and then he might be ready.

Mivsar should be 1 fight away. And thats only because Ilya vs Max is huge. Actually if he took the fight Id put Volk vs him next.
No. He may actually be ranked higher, but aljo is a former champ. Movsar gets kept away from the belt longer than aljos buddy

No. He may actually be ranked higher, but aljo is a former champ. Movsar gets kept away from the belt longer than aljos buddy
Probably yes considering Danas watching futbol when Movsar fights but one has 8 wins and the other has one. Although I would have been watching futbol as well during Aljo-Kattar.

Idk if we can consider Yair a contender after Ortega clowned him like that. Yair beat Ortega half to death in the first round and then brought some real white belt level bjj and got subbed

I don’t know if it’s really deserved or not, but Yair has always been a popular action fighter, so a loss to another contender doesn’t immediately wash him….a loss to Aljo though…

Aljo really needs to understand that the UFC doesn’t like him and the fans aren't crazy about him either, just take the fights they offer you, get paid, keep investing that money in real state and retire when you start to slow down.

Keep doing grappling comps to scratch your competitive itch since fighters usually retire young.

Brian Ortega? Dude is 2-3 in the last 6 years and is on a 1 fight winning streak lol.

Any time a fighter says a fight "doesn't make sense" go ahead and automatically translate it to "it's not the bigger name with an easier chance of winning and making the most money and getting a title fight".

Sterling will be lucky if he ever sniffs a title shot again no matter how many times he wins. He should take all fights.

Why wouldn’t he fight someone ranked higher to get a title shot
In the UFC, beating someone with name value (who's also ranked highly) is a more direct path to a title shot than beating a higher ranked opponent who is relatively unknown.

So you motherfuckers would rather watch aljo evloev over Ortega ? Are you fucking kidding me? This is the most ass backwards I've ever seen.

Back