Aljo/O'Malley - Early stoppage or nah?

Was the Sean O'Malley TKO stoppage of Aljo an early stoppage?

• Total voters
Nah. Ref gave Aljo more than enough time. Sean was really accurate with the GnP. Just because you are moving doesn't mean it's intelligent defense.
this ^ rolling to your stomach while taking shots wasnt a good look. Meh was fair 2 or 3 more hits would been back of head anyways.

Should have been at least 10 clean hammerfists or until stiffness occurs .

No . And I had sterling. Ref made a good call I thought. Maybe aljo would have taken a few more but it was over.

Sterling was still lucid.

Had just got off his back and was scrambling up.

But the UFC badly wants Suga to be champ and Sterling knew that; he got caught and Dana got his wish.
He went from not bleeding to having blood around the side of his face he was getting bombed on, in like 2 seconds. How many unanswered strikes are enough?

Inspired by this thread. Thought it needs a poll.

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/aljo-omalley-early-stoppage-or-nah.4303925/

I thought it was early, what's your thoughts?

giphy.gif
If we go by the stated rules of the UFC as to when a fight should be stopped, we should ask, was Aljo still intelligently defending himself, and I would say, yes. Yes he was, so yes, it was an early stoppage.

If so many people are uncertain, then it was a bit early. 3-4 seconds more would make it clear. Usually, the champ is given this to remove any doubt.
Personally, I was ok the stoppage.

In the sense that it could have gone on and Sterling "could" have taken more shots and be put out? I guess, but Sterling was done, mentally and physically checked out. He didn't want any more and he didn't really protest. Stoppage was good.

It was a little early. But aljos lucky streak of wins by DQ, splits, and fighting injured opponents had to run out.

Hope Dana feeds him to holloway when he moves up.

I just want to add that just because they're the champion, doesn't mean they deserve more than anyone else to recover.

That's super fucking shady.

I was ok with it... for personal reasons. Aljo has done nothing but whine about needing time off during this run. Been given 2 split decisions. And acted to get his DQ belt win.

I'm sure Dana told the ref to stop it asap if Aljo goes down

I'm a proud O'Malley hater and that shit was beautiful. The accuracy of his GnP is sick. I remember he ktfo of that one guy on the co tender series.

The stoppage was acceptable, but I always like to err on the side of giving the fighter a chance to get out of the situation. Big Dan would have let it go.

Also, this place has gotten soft.

<{JustBleed}>

I think it was slightly early since it seemed Aljo was on the verge of getting up but I don't think the result changes if goes on a little longer.

Yeah it was early, lol. We've seen fighters come back from much worse, another punch and Aljo might have woken up. He wasn't done, in a championship fight the stakes are different and you gotta let a man fight.

It was no bad stoppage, but it was a tad early. Aljo didn't take some extraordinary amount of punishment, no reason to stop the fight when Aljo was still moving and still willing to take a few.

It was an early stoppage from the standpoint of the fighter being finished, but not an early stoppage from the stand point of saving the fighter from taking major damage.

As soon as Aljo turned to scramble up, he knew he was going to get completely blasted with a couple shots and didn’t want him to take anymore damage so stopped it.

It’s overall a good stoppage.

Maybe a tad early, but O'Malley was putting it on him as he rolled around flailing.

Back