Economy All major phone carriers where hit with a 200 million dollar fine.

PEB

Sunflower in support of Ukraine
@Steel
Reaction score
They where selling users location data without their permission. The government hit them with a 200 million dollar fine the largest of this type. AT&T, T MOBILE, Verizon, Sprint where hit with fines. What actions do individuals have class action lawsuits? It seems to me people should have some level of involvement in this seeing it's their location data? Who knows what else they have sold.

"
What does AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, and T-Mobile all have in common?

Aside from being the four major mobile carriers in the U.S., these companies have also just been slapped with millions in fines from the FCC."

"
Why?

AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, and T-Mobile allegedly provided location data to third parties without their users' consent, which is illegal."

They where selling users location data without their permission. The government hit them with a 200 million dollar fine the largest of this type. AT&T, T MOBILE, Verizon, Sprint where hit with fines. What actions do individuals have class action lawsuits? It seems to me people should have some level of involvement in this seeing it's their location data? Who knows what else they have sold.

"

Aside from being the four major mobile carriers in the U.S., these companies have also just been slapped with millions in fines from the FCC."

"
Why?

AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, and T-Mobile allegedly provided location data to third parties without their users' consent, which is illegal."

Do I get any of the 200 hundred Million?

If carriers can hike prices, they do it. They don't need this reason.

Hopefully consequences will slow sale of information, but I'm not holding my breath.

Ironically enough ATT just informed me they were raising rates again.

This checks out

Yeah we get taken advantage of and our privacy is invaded and the government just profited off of it.
I would love to see a breakdown of what the companies profited by selling our data. You could make a case that it's all one big cash grab. The companies make more than the government fines them and everyone is enriched by it.

Should be a fine and a lengthy prison sentence for whoever ok’d that sale. A fine for all the buyers while we are at it

Like they aren’t already rolling in money and subsidies

Just adding to their corruption and greed

Government paid 500 million for the data.

Kidding

"

"
Why?

Yes but...

I would like to see the profit margins that were garnered by the big carriers for SELLING (make no mistake, this information was SOLD) this juicy data to said third parties.

I would be willing to bet that this 200 million dollar fine was well worth the effort and a drop in the bucket for them.

Back