Social All people once spoke the same language?

Your Account

reacted to your score
@Silver
Reaction score
Is that true?
Any history data supporting that?

Not impossible. There was atleast one bottleneck scenario that nearly wiped out humanity. There were only a few thousand individuals left.

i you believe the out of africa theory, then yes.

It’s possible. It’s also possible the Tower of Babel was written in reference to this time. It’s also possible that the story is an allegory like many things in the Bible and the person who used it to “debunk” the idea that there may have been a time when everyone spoke 1 language is just an angsty retard who should spend some time getting a gf instead of hating religion.

It’s alllll possible.

I see everyone in this thread is dismissing it because of the bible, but let's tuck the knee jerk reaction of anti-religious sentiments away for a second.

Are y'all suggesting that the first 2 or more languages developed simultaneously? Wouldn't the first humans to develop speech at some point speak the same language?

I see everyone in this thread is dismissing it because of the bible, but let's tuck the knee jerk reaction of anti-religious sentiments away for a second.

Are y'all suggesting that the first 2 or more languages developed simultaneously? Wouldn't the first humans to develop speech at some point speak the same language?

Logic.

Not necessarily. How far had we spread out before we developed speech?

https://summalinguae.com/language-culture/how-did-language-originate/

And here is an article about how long humans have been around, approximately:

https://humanorigins.si.edu/education/introduction-human-evolution

So, obviously we can't prove any of this with 100% accuracy, but humans are 2~6 million years old as a species, and speech developed about 100k years ago.

Probably the reason why the language tree looks the way it does:

https://www.theguardian.com/education/gallery/2015/jan/23/a-language-family-tree-in-pictures

Seems more likely that languages developed i different areas at different times, and that would explain why they are so different, and the roots are different.

Is that true?
Any history data supporting that?

Yes, basically we all used to grunt, use body and sign language to communicate.

Also majority of modern languages spoken today are branch offs of archaic languages that where spread by ancient nomadic humans

Not impossible. There was atleast one bottleneck scenario that nearly wiped out humanity. There were only a few thousand individuals left.
Is there a source on that info ?
Only few thousand is quite a few comparing it to the current numbers
, also Im not sure if we do know the number of people living on earth before that bottleneck scenario to compare properly

Quite possible. Unless one thinks we evolved vocal chords simultaneously while being far removed from each other, yet somehow remaining the same species.

The first word in history was a fart in the face thats universal so yes.

Back