All Time GOAT poll

For me it's GRIT and ability and will to finish fights at any second. That's why i always choose Anderson and Fedor.
Fate of the world will be decided at the Shan-Tsung's tournament? Send Spider or Emperor there.
With all due respect, we are unlikely to need someone like GSP in this case. We need MOFO's who are ready to kill and die.
So it goes.
<BC1><Fedor23>

Happy New Year sherbros. Be strong and noble like always and take care of yourself and your loved ones.

Criterion, but criteria.

It's a number of things, not just one.

A guy like Jones, for example, record number of title defenses.
However, the majority of his opponents were smaller men, older, moving up to Jones' weight class at the twilights of their career.

The only two guys Jones faced, his size, Gustavson and Reyes, arguably beat him.
At the very least, these guys thoroughly dominated Jones in certain rounds.

Then there's the cheating factor (steroids).

So, while the consensus is "Jones = GOAT" because of "record UFC title defenses" ... there are a lot of negative nuances to Jones.
I hate the term, but Jones = the biggest "weight bully" of all time ... again building the bulk of his resume against older, smaller, ex-champions.

A guy like Khabib always faced guys his own size, always won, was never dominated, never cheated, etc.
So, although Khabib doesn't have as many "title defenses" as Jones, he was more completely dominant over fighters his own size than Jones ever dreamed to be.
No one ever "thoroughly dominated" Khabib in any round.

GSP, another candidate, is a truly great fighter and ambassador for the sport.
He had some epic wins, and although he did lose twice, he avenged both losses decisively, and by finish.
Still, he did lose, and he also got dominated/obliterated in certain rounds.

In his prime, Anderson Silva, was probably more impressive than any of them.
While Silva only has a 17-fight winning streak (compared to Khabib's 29, and Jones' 19 — arguably 28, considering his DQ loss was a KO) ...

Unlike either Khabib or Jones, Silva had the ability to end a fight with one shot.

Of all of them, Silva was the most beautiful to watch, masterful, could catch people and turn their lights off — with elbows, with front kicks, and with punches.

Jones and Khabib had to break people down, GSP was also dynamic, but it was more brute force, than effortless technique.

All four of these fighters (Jones, Khabib, GSP, and Silva), have arguments for their favor, as well as against them.

In the end it's all a matter of opinion. In

I would say Khabib was the most dominant, but has the least-impressive résumé, and the least-inspiring technique.
Khabib doesn't have really any highlight reels. It's hard to re-watch a Khabib fight from beginning to end, because it's mostly a grind.

Ranked wins, time at number 1 as long as they are active, how stacked a division is or isn't. How common it is or isn't for someone to be dominant at a certain weight class, things like HW and LHW having a higher finishing rate so not being finished is more impressive than lower weights where less guys have one punch KO power and more fights go to decision.

These are my disqualifyers:

-No blatant cheating in tittle shots. Ie. Towelgate of Greasegate.
-Never have tapped to strikes, specially as an champion against undeserving, smaller contenders.
-No (Double) Gyno.
-No TRT gut.
-No running from the sport after getting your ass kicked and gifted bulshit decision.
-No record padding against elderly undeserving champs that the Commission should've weeded out as not medically fit. Specially if you ducked the champ in said division for several years, and is "retired" for several years too.

Cope.

For me it's GRIT and ability and will to finish fights at any second. That's why i always choose Anderson and Fedor.
Fate of the world will be decided at the Shan-Tsung's tournament? Send Spider or Emperor there.
With all due respect, we are unlikely to need someone like GSP in this case. We need MOFO's who are ready to kill and die.
So it goes.
<BC1><Fedor23>

Happy New Year sherbros. Be strong and noble like always and take care of yourself and your loved ones.

Overall GOAT , is impossible to ever really figure out its subjective and the sport is still growing/forming

But Divisional GOAT can be assessed and it's like this

1) Win the title
2) Defend the title more times against ranked opponents then any previous champion
3) thats all ...

Happy new year!

After some years I realize there IS NO GOAT

Circumstance,timing,different weight classes etc. You cant confidently rank one person as better than everyone else. You pick your favorite,and thats it.

Mine is not to have man crushes and autistic fixations on the artists a judge outside of the art itself.

So basically I judge them for the work they do and not them appealing to my personal fee fees like I’m a 12 year old pro wrestling fan circa 1985.

1. Did they have a lengthy undefeated streak and for how long?
2. How many Top 10 ranked opponents did they beat?
3. How many Top 10 ranked opponents did they finish?
4. How many total finishes did they have?
5. How well rounded were they - looking at finishes via KO or Submission is a decent indicator.
6. How many title defenses did they have?
7. Were they busted for PEDs?
8. How many losses did they have before the prime of their career ended? What was the circumstances of those losses? Close decision? Poor judging? KO? Submission?

No exact science in calculating that, but what it will do is show levels between good, very good, & goat level of fighters.

Last edited:
1) zero losses.
2) Absolute domination of all opposition
3) must smesh !

This is a correct poll. I voted Fedor, but have no problem with the top four being:

1. GSP
2. Fedor
3. Jones
4. Silva

The GOAT

gspserra1.gif

<{yahyou}>

Criterion, but criteria.

It's a number of things, not just one.

A guy like Jones, for example, record number of title defenses.
However, the majority of his opponents were smaller men, older, moving up to Jones' weight class at the twilights of their career.

The only two guys Jones faced, his size, Gustavson and Reyes, arguably beat him.
At the very least, these guys thoroughly dominated Jones in certain rounds.

Then there's the cheating factor (steroids).

So, while the consensus is "Jones = GOAT" because of "record UFC title defenses" ... there are a lot of negative nuances to Jones.
I hate the term, but Jones = the biggest "weight bully" of all time ... again building the bulk of his resume against older, smaller, ex-champions.

A guy like Khabib always faced guys his own size, always won, was never dominated, never cheated, etc.
So, although Khabib doesn't have as many "title defenses" as Jones, he was more completely dominant over fighters his own size than Jones ever dreamed to be.
No one ever "thoroughly dominated" Khabib in any round.

GSP, another candidate, is a truly great fighter and ambassador for the sport.
He had some epic wins, and although he did lose twice, he avenged both losses decisively, and by finish.
Still, he did lose, and he also got dominated/obliterated in certain rounds.

In his prime, Anderson Silva, was probably more impressive than any of them.
While Silva only has a 17-fight winning streak (compared to Khabib's 29, and Jones' 19 — arguably 28, considering his DQ loss was a KO) ...

Unlike either Khabib or Jones, Silva had the ability to end a fight with one shot.

Of all of them, Silva was the most beautiful to watch, masterful, could catch people and turn their lights off — with elbows, with front kicks, and with punches.

Jones and Khabib had to break people down, GSP was also dynamic, but it was more brute force, than effortless technique.

All four of these fighters (Jones, Khabib, GSP, and Silva), have arguments for their favor, as well as against them.

In the end it's all a matter of opinion. In

I would say Khabib was the most dominant, but has the least-impressive résumé, and the least-inspiring technique.
Khabib doesn't have really any highlight reels. It's hard to re-watch a Khabib fight from beginning to end, because it's mostly a grind.

Nobody Jones fough was old or in the twilight.. that was like golden era of LHW

And he is the HW champ, u can't say it was just weight 😆

Nobody Jones fough was old or in the twilight.. that was like golden era of LHW

And he is the HW champ, u can't say it was just weight 😆
Agreed. That seems to be the common argument that people who want to discredit him use. To me, it usually signals that the person making those allegations just wasnt around back then to know. Iv had this debate several times. You can breakdown Jones record, and the record of the opponent at the time he fought them, and it shows that the whole, "fought older, lighter weight guys" is bs.

Machida had only lost 2 fights in his whole career at the time he fought Jones, also was only 33 and had fought at HW. He didnt drop down until a few years after the Jones fight. Had never been submitted and thought to be a killer

Rampage was 10-2 of his last 12 fights leading to the Jones fight. Also was a killer. And had never been finished in the cage.

Bader was undefeated at the time. Also fights at HW now and for a time, was both the LHW and HW champion in Bellator.

Rashad had only lost 1 fight his entire career leading into the Jones fight. He won TUF as a HW

Vitor at the time had won 7 of his last 8 leading into the Jones fight.

Gus only had only lost 1 fight going into the Jones fight. Also has fought at HW

Glover was undefeated at the time of fighting Jones....

DC was undefeated at the time and was thought to be the one...Also a HW

Santos had won 8 of his last 9. Including a future champion before fighting Jones...

Reyes was undefeated going into the Jones fight...

Now if you want to dismiss him because of PEDs, Thats another argument. But His resume is superb.

Agreed. That seems to be the common argument that people who want to discredit him use. To me, it usually signals that the person making those allegations just wasnt around back then to know. Iv had this debate several times. You can breakdown Jones record, and the record of the opponent at the time he fought them, and it shows that the whole, "fought older, lighter weight guys" is bs.

Machida had only lost 2 fights in his whole career at the time he fought Jones, also was only 33 and had fought at HW. He didnt drop down until a few years after the Jones fight. Had never been submitted and thought to be a killer

Rampage was 10-2 of his last 12 fights leading to the Jones fight. Also was a killer. And had never been finished in the cage.

Bader was undefeated at the time. Also fights at HW now and for a time, was both the LHW and HW champion in Bellator.

Rashad had only lost 1 fight his entire career leading into the Jones fight. He won TUF as a HW

Vitor at the time had won 7 of his last 8 leading into the Jones fight.

Gus only had only lost 1 fight going into the Jones fight. Also has fought at HW

Glover was undefeated at the time of fighting Jones....

DC was undefeated at the time and was thought to be the one...Also a HW

Santos had won 8 of his last 9. Including a future champion before fighting Jones...

Reyes was undefeated going into the Jones fight...

Now if you want to dismiss him because of PEDs, Thats another argument. But His resume is superb.
Facts

Glover was on like a crazy streak @LHW. The amount of fights he won straight and the amount of time he was undefeated was nuts. 20 wins in a row and 9 years? That’s like Jose Aldo streak.

Shogun was still in his 20’s 19-4

And that wasn’t just any Vitort it was peak TRT Vitor. Nobody beat the quality Jon beat. It’s clear if you look at the age, record and accolades at the time he beat them.

I voted GSP but Johnson with only 113 votes is absolutely criminal WTF... No way Fedor can be in front of DJ.

I didn't realize this was an old thread bumped from 2019. I voted Jones but GSP was the overall GOAT in 2019. Imo Jones didn't overtake him until he went up in weight and won the title.

Back