Always Heading West

The google doc of your training history is awesome. I wish I'd tracked that closely when I started.

Thanks for the feedback on that. I like it a lot too. The plan is to have it pretty much forever. Into black belt, decades down the road. Though by then it'll be like Google docs-hologram.

Lovato, Serra, Weidman...you've rolled with some legends. Awesome PRs lately too.

Since I know you're from the area, any feeling on the gyms in Philly? I'm moving to the city soon, and will probably be training in the city. Location/schedule will most likely be the primary factors in my decision, but just looking for opinions.

Lovato, Serra, Weidman...you've rolled with some legends. Awesome PRs lately too.

Thanks bro. Yeah it is cool to think about. People that don't train can't really appreciate how big it really is like training with the best NFL players in the world.

Since I know you're from the area, any feeling on the gyms in Philly? I'm moving to the city soon, and will probably be training in the city. Location/schedule will most likely be the primary factors in my decision, but just looking for opinions.

You know where you're going to live yet?

Balance is around 22nd and Market or so. There's also Maxercise and Daddis Fight Camps plus several others.

The only one I have personal experience with is Balance. That's the affiliation I was brought up under. They're under the Relson lineage so Phil and Rick are very old school.

Philly has a bunch to choose from. Man what a great city.

You know where you're going to live yet?

Balance is around 22nd and Market or so. There's also Maxercise and Daddis Fight Camps plus several others.

The only one I have personal experience with is Balance. That's the affiliation I was brought up under. They're under the Relson lineage so Phil and Rick are very old school.

Philly has a bunch to choose from. Man what a great city.

I am not sure where I will be living yet. I have a friend who is a black belt out of Balance (owns his own school in Delaware now) and so I have a feeling I will end up there regardless of location (location will probably be south or west Philly anyhow).

I trained at Daddis for a few months a while ago. Quality of instruction sucked for the amount it cost.

The Torah Method

3,200 calories

Lower Intensity

Squat
375x1 (PR)

Deadlift
455x1 (PR)

Notes

-Schedule got a little fucked up over the weekend so I pushed everything back a couple of days and decided to test 1RMs today.

-Both squat and DL are 5-lb PRs but I was disappointed with how hard the squat was. Literally the hardest rep of squatting I've ever done and didn't have an ounce left in me. Think I need to go back to the 5-rep scheme with volume day so I stay accustomed to having heavier weight on my back.

Hard or not, nice PRs! Deadlift looked easy for you.

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (no-gi)

90 minutes drills/technique
Justin Rader taught class tonight. After a ton of drills and warm ups we worked on double-under "cleaning" them and getting low as fuck on their hips--not stacked up over them. From there turning them to their knees, getting a crotch lock grip and taking the back or going to a banana split OR going for the calf slicer.

20 minutes rolling
Did a strange sort of rolling situation that's hard to describe. Didn't get a ton of mat time and what I did was limited to working from turtle position with seat belt grips. To be frank, I got steamrolled by almost everybody tonight. I never get grips like that from turtle and I wasn't rolling too aggressively. At one point Rader said "JewBear" and I looked at him and he made an "up" motion with his hand, parallel to the floor followed by a thumbs-up. I didn't know if that meant he wanted me to kick it up more or that I was doing well so I started working harder. Again, just got decimated tonight.

Ears got injured again too. I should have worn head gear last night but decided to see how the night went. Both ears are in pain but the right one, with pre-existed cauliflower has a smaller hematoma down the middle-back area. I could drain it but I don't think it's necessary. Just will let it harden as-is but may take a few days off. Pretty painful at the moment.​

25 minutes LISS treadmill walking

Ears are still recovering. They're so tender I wasn't sure if even with headgear there would be an issue so I'm just resting for a few days.

Thinking about competing in Phoenix in October.

The Torah Method

3,200 Calories

Upper Volume

Bench
(190x8)x4
190x6

Chins
(10)x4

Notes

-During the last set of bench my lat started cramping and locking up. Wasn't near failing the set but racked it after 6 reps because it was kind of scary.

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

15 minutes rolling
Nobody showed up to open mat. I met a purple belt in his 50's and we did a nice long roll. Positionally I was sound, but for the life of me I just couldn't finish him.

With the age difference I saw no need to get mean and go for neck cranks, knee on chest etc. It was a good roll.
[/B]​

Last edited:
The Torah Method

3,200 calories

Lower Volume

Squat
(290x5)x5

Notes

-Went back to a 5-rep scheme and a little lower than previous volume PR. What shocked me was how fucking EASY everything felt today. Only the last two sets were remotely hard.

Funny to think not too long ago, 290x5 would have been a top-most working set on RPT training. :eek:

Conditioning

Tabata Run
4 minutes

I made the mistake of not draining my ears constantly. As a result my right one gave me trouble for a long time. With my left, I drained it religiously every day regardless of how big the swelling was. That ear is now a normal ear, just tough as fuck. the right looks more like melted playdough.

Worst thing about my right is because the top and back went solid and oversized, it caught on shit even more. As such, the back of my "conch" and the connection of skin where the ear meets the head cauliflowered up too. Difference is, you can't drain those fuckers so I had to take a solid 2 weeks off rolling while they hardened. This now means my right ear sticks out a little more ala JDS.

I think it's hardened too much at this point to drain effectively. I'll play it by EAR (hahahaha) and see what happens. I'll remember your post for future reference though.

How is the intermittent fasting working out for you?

Working 3-midnight tonight and bringing a burrito bowl, footlong subway sandwich and pint of ice cream to work :O

Justin Rader is one of my BJJ heros...so jelly right now.

2,300 calories

Conditioning

Sprints
1:1 work:rest, 7 minutes

Notes

-First day of tournament prep. Sleep was interrupted in the morning for an airport drop-off so no BJJ. Need to weigh 168 with the gi.​

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

50 minutes rolling
Showed up to a different gym in OKC to see what the climate was like. Sadly, the only person that showed up was a blue belt. After chatting for a while we just hit the clock and did 7-minute rounds.

Nothing to write home about. Got over a dozen subs and swept at will pretty much. He almost got me with an ezekiel from mount that I was scrambling to defend. VERY close. Had a lightbulb moment on forcing/denying an escape from the step over choke from side control. Super fucking cool detail I'd never realized before.

My conditioning was HORRENDOUS.​

Back