Am I the only one who thinks Jones is going to get beat tf up?

Geniusss

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I would like to be wrong because it would be great for the UFC and the HW division to have Jones somehow turned into this unbeatable HW beast.

But being honest Jones has been out for 3 years and he didn't look good in his last fights.

-He arguably lost to REYES, who has been knocked out by pretty much the whole division now.
-He had a very close fight with Santos and left on wheelchair that night.
-And he didn't even finished Smith, who even grandpa Texeira was able to finish.

Reyes? Santos? Smith? Those are not even top guys in the LHW division. Also Jones was like Izzy in the sense he was always bigger than everybody else and he used to struggle more when he met guys with his same size (Gustaffson 1).

He won't have that size advantage at HW.

Plus he is about to face Ciryl Gane, who everybody knows how good he is, he was even beating Ngannou the whole time until Ngannou somehow started LnP, he did no damage but he was able to hugged Gane on the ground with all that weight he had over him, but Gane took him to school at standup, Ngannou somehow took him down a couple of times more than by technique it was more due to his size athleticism and explosiveness. But do you guys really think Jones is going to be as explosive and athletic as Ngannou at HW?

Am I the only one who thinks Gane is going to beat the hell out of Jones?

Last edited:
Its certainly possible due to many factors which you have mentioned. If he keeps it standing Jones has a high chance of getting beat up and slept.
I think Jones will use his superior wrestling to win though

I would like to be wrong because it would be great for the UFC and the HW division to have Jones somehow turned into this unbeatable HW beast.

But being honest Jones has been out for 3 years and he didn't look good in his last fights.

-He arguably lost to REYES, who has been knocked out by pretty much the whole division now.
-And he didn't even finished Smith, who even grandpa Texeira was able to finish.

Reyes? Santos? Smith? Those are not even top guys in the LHW division. Also Jones was like Izzy in the sense he was always bigger than everybody else and he used to struggle more when he met guys with his same size (Gustaffson 1).

Plus he is about to face Ciryl Gane, who everybody knows how good he is, he was even beating Ngannou the whole time until Ngannou somehow started LnP, he did no damage but he was able to hugged Gane on the ground with all that weight he had over him, but Gane took him to school at standup, Ngannou somehow took him down a couple of times more than by technique it was more due to his size athleticism and explosiveness. But do you guys really think Jones is going to be as explosive and athletic as Ngannou at HW?

Nope, I agree. People seem to put way too much stock in Francis taking Gane down. Francis is a massive beast with freak physical strength. That slam he landed on Gane was also a product of the latter getting his leg grab from a missed kick. Jon struggled to takedown Reyes, and is going to gas quickly in his bigger body when he tries to repeatedly take down a much larger more athletic foe in Gane.

I'm tired of the narrative that Jones sucks because of his last fights. He never had KO power, and Reyes also only has lost to KO's, no one beat him the way Jones did. Also he stood with Santos before his knee injury, the same guy who finished Jan right before. Jones took down Smith, DC, Gus with ease.

The 3 year gap is fine to worry about, but he also was bulking and who knows how "recharged" he got on his off time if you get what I mean. I'm tired of guys acting like Jones can't do anything anymore.

No, Im with you he stands no chance in this match up.

He will have to be better than he has looked for the last 6 years to win this fight.

Those last 3 fights were bad but i think you can look at his 3 fights before that and those weren't exactly great either

-A very uninspired performance against OSP
-DC rematch was not looking good in the first round, getting out boxed and taking more damage than usual early in the fight before he got a finish in the second. Did not have the same very strong showing in the first fight (of course he also popped after this fight as well)
-Gus fight he looked good but not as much as gus looked terrible.

IMO his decline was slight during these 3 fights, It just starts to accelerate after this. the last time he TRULY looked like himself was the first DC fight.

Last edited:
Jones hasn't fought in 3 years, hasn't looked good in 5. His wrestling has been going downhill for about that long. He'll be dealing with a lot of extra weight, his lack of punching power will be even more significant than it was at LHW and who knows what age and years of partying have done to his chin.

That said, he'll probably win, cause thats just what he does

Time off is good. Time to get healthy, go up in weight the right way.. maybe it ignited something in him to train harder, be more motivated.. a bigger challenge.

The fights that happened years ago don't mean a whole lot IMO. It's like GSP going up to fight Bisping. He looked beaten his last fight at WW, took a few years off, went up and did the damn thing.

What makes anyone think that Gane will be able to stay on his feet vs Jones?

what makes you think jones can take him down at will? Couldn't take down Reyes or santos at will
Francis had zero problem taking Gane down and keeping him down. Its not like 'ol Frank is some takedown wizard either.

Yeah, Jones might be in trouble if he tries to play with Gane on the feet, but I don't think he'll try that.

I mean he's the underdog. If he's the same Jones that faced Reyes three years ago, he'll lose and badly. If he's rejuvenated and has found new drive, the Game's in for a hell of a fight.

Either way I think Gane is coming in hungry. He wants Redemption after his Ngannou flop

I'm tired of the narrative that Jones sucks because of his last fights. He never had KO power, and Reyes also only has lost to KO's, no one beat him the way Jones did. Also he stood with Santos before his knee injury, the same guy who finished Jan right before. Jones took down Smith, DC, Gus with ease.

The 3 year gap is fine to worry about, but he also was bulking and who knows how "recharged" he got on his off time if you get what I mean. I'm tired of guys acting like Jones can't do anything anymore.
You are bragging about Jones beating Reyes in a razor thin decision? Lol.

Francis had zero problem taking Gane down and keeping him down. Its not like 'ol Frank is some takedown wizard either.

Yeah, Jones might be in trouble if he tries to play with Gane on the feet, but I don't think he'll try that.
Francis is a 270lbs freak of nature that took Gane down off of a whiffed kick. Jones couldn't get Reyes down.

Back