Anderson Silva or Fedor Emelianenko - Who is greatest MMA fighter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do people ignore GSP for the GOAT debate?

''Because he doesn't finish''

Which is comical to me, he has the best all round skillset to beat every fighting style (which he already has)
I actually have GSP above Anderson Silva

My top 2 is actually

Fedor
GSP/Big Nog

Fedor never beat anyone but minotauro and cro cop and those two have a epic ufc fail run. Pride fighters just weren't that good. Silva is not a pride fighter

Such fail

DaijiTakasevsAndersonSilva_display_image.jpg

Yes I am putting you in that group,you wrote "People refuse to accept it,even now." as if people are delusional and should have accepted that Anderson is GOAT and voted for him,but they refused to accept it and voted Fedor.
That's not what I am saying at all...Your reading comprehension needs work.

I lean towards Silva, but you can make an argument for either.

Fedor had a much more protected career with many cans in between his legitimate opponents. Anderson had unqualified opponents as well, but far less since most of his fights were for the title and straight up cans usually don't get title shots in the UFC.

Fedor fought some great guys in their prime and tooled on them, but it is a slight against him that his management never let him fight in the UFC because there just weren't enough quality guys for him to fight outside of Zuffa. Anderson fought all-comers, and he did clean the division out for a time which led to much weaker opponents like Leites/Lutter/Cote, but he didn't handpick anyone like Fedor's team did. Anderson also tooled competition in weight classes higher than him while MW was rebuilding. Fedor struggled with guys who moved 2 wieghtclasses to fight him (Lindland/Hendo).

I think Fedor had better big fights, but there just weren't enough of them. Nog x3 and CroCop are pretty much the top of the list. He has alot of resume filler in between. And I brought this up in another thread, but Anderson just made people look silly virtually every single fight. Fedor was dominant in many of his fights, but he also looked mortal against guys who were handpicked to fight him (Choi/Rodgers/Lindland).

Anderson just fought whoever they put in front of him and he destroyed them in a myriad of different ways. Fedor was mainly looping overhand right or ground and pound if things got sticky standing.

I really do appreciate both fighters, but I think Anderson is the greatest of all time.

Voted Fedor night really digg them both... WA awesome being able to watch both of those legends do their thing

That's not what I am saying at all...Your reading comprehension needs work.
I am sorry if I labeled you wrongly with my bad reading comprehension .

Could you explain what exactly you meant with "People refuse to accept it,even now."
What do people refuse to accept,even now?

I have Fedor over Anderson. I have been unfairly accused of being an Anderson hater in the past for pointing out some harsh truths about Anderson's record of opponents he has beaten during his run, so let me state it one more time.

The reason i was accused of being an Anderson hater is because i simply felt he was never the greatest, and was sometimes overhyped as such. Those same Fedor detractors talking about how he never fought anyone, never point out the fact that Anderson did not exactly beat any elite fighters during his run. No disrespect to Travis Lutter, James Irvin, Cote, Leites, and Bonnar but they are not exactly world beaters. Sonnen, Okami, and Maia had no striking abilities to pose any threat to Silva on the feet, but Sonnen dismantled Silva for 4.5 rounds in the first fight. He owned Silva in the first round of the second fight, before trying that stupid spinning backfist that led to his eventual demise. Ever since the beating Sonnen laid on Silva in the first fight- no great champ has ever been dominated like that in a five round fight, i questioned Anderson's GOAT status. I felt Marquardt and even guys like Griffin were opponents tailor made for Anderson stylistically and were good but not great fighters.

Anderson is a great fighter, but i simply felt he was not the greatest. Jon Jones (beating 5 former LHW champs in a row) and even GSP i felt fought tougher competition during their runs as champs. Those Fedor detractors need to remember as well- at 5 feet 11.5 inches tall, a reach of 74 inches, and at a chubby 230 pounds, he was a LHW (potentially a frame of a MW according to guys like Joe Rogan and others if he lost twenty pounds and cut from 210 to make 185 pounds) fighting and dominating guys who were 3-4 inches taller, had much longer reaches, and were 30-40 pounds heavier on fight night as well. Bigfoot was damn near 290 pounds on fight night against Fedor (60 pounds heavier), had an 8 inch reach advantage and almost 5 inches in height. Silva at 185, never had no reach/height disadvantage and by no means was a small MW when facing his opponents.

Fedor routinely gave up size and strength to bigger and stronger men during his run and it is so convenient to forget that. Anderson is a great fighter, the best MW of all time, and was a great champion, but i never felt he was the greatest so that is where the tension occurred between the Silva fans and myself.

Anderson's camp also for several months since August 2012 were denying Chris his shot at the title even after Dana proclaimed him the Number One contender. Great champions do not have their camps request Cung Le, Nick Diaz, Bisping or Rockhold ahead of the Number One contender Weidman, which Ed Soares and Jorge Guimaraes did for several months. Dana finally made the Weidman match, after Bisping lost, and thankfully so for Weidman's sake. Weidman was a bad matchup for Anderson, and we seen why now two times why Silva's camp was so hesistant to face him in the first place and requested guys like Cung Le of all people (LOL). Sorry for the long rant.

This is what i meant with Silva's camp turning down Weidman on two different occasions. The first time in August 2012 was Silva's manager saying as such.

http://www.cagepotato.com/anderson-...ially-turns-down-fight-against-chris-weidman/

AH: Has the UFC asked you or Anderson to fight Chris Weidman next?

JG: Yeah, they mentioned it, but we don’t think it makes sense.

AH: So you’ve turned it down?

JG: Yeah, true.

This is Ed Soares, back in January saying guys like Cung Le make more sense than Weidman (LOL).

http://www.mmamania.com/2013/1/26/3...-has-nothing-to-gain-from-chris-weidman-fight

Both are all-time greats, but Fedor because of his 10 year unbeaten streak.

Just think about it. Would you have prime Fedor as a less than 50% to win vs any other mma fighter in history. The answer is most likely no, not even close.

There are dozens of fighters i see as >50% vs prime Silva, there are at least 10 that i see as being 80-90%.

So the answer is Fedor ainec.

Fedor. It was honestly shocking to me that he even had the ability to lose when he did. In retrospect, I (and a ton of other MMA fans) but him on a pedestal but he was a fucking amazing fighter and I'm happy I got to see him fight in person.

straight up cans usually don't get title shots in the UFC.

he didn't handpick anyone like Fedor's team did. Anderson also tooled competition in weight classes higher than him .

what kind of babbling bullshit is this

Anderson fought Bonnar, Okami, lutter, leites, cote, Irvin and Forrest coming off a KO loss.. every single one of then went on to lose and and most got cut .. you don't have to make up bullshit and pretend that sub par opponents did not fight Anderson

and Anderson's team ducked weidman for so long, shit talking him until they finally got the fight and Anderson for knocked out

Anderson for most of his career fought guys his size or smaller for what that is worth.. fedor fought much larger guys.. not sure what stupid and fallacious point you were trying to make there

Neither. Jon Jones is. Both AS and Fedor get too much credit for being unbeaten against subpar competition (if you're arguing for GOAT) and Fedor was finished by a MW and two HW's who today aren't even champ. Jones fought the best competition of the three and performed the best while fighting that competition.

You can discredit every fighter that way.

Jones best wins:

A washed out, injury ridden Shogun.
Chael Sonnen...where was he in the rankings at lhw?
Rampage who was nothing like the pride rampage and so on....

We saw what happened when Jones fought somebody close to his size. He will get mauled at HW thats why he is chillin at LHW.

Let's take a look at their fights vs their greatest opponents (ranked by career, not at time of fight) and include all losses except those that are bs.

Anderson Silva 5-3
Loss vs Weidman (2nd Weidman loss was due to freak injury, so let's leave that off)
Win vs Belfort
Win vs Henderson (first cut to mw)
Win vs Franklin
Win vs Franklin
Loss vs Chonan
Win vs Murray
Loss vs Azaredo
The loss vs Okami was bs too.

Fedor Emelianenko 4-3
Loss vs Henderson
Loss vs Silva
Loss vs Werdum
Hunt if you want to be realistic is not anywhere near having an amazing career
Coleman loss all 3 fights against top p4p fighters so I won't count the win over him
Win vs Mirko
Win vs Nog
Win vs Nog
Randleman when you look at his career just like Arlovski and Sylvia they weren't really that good.
Win vs Arona

Georges St Pierre 4-2
Win vs Hendricks
Win vs Jon Fitch
Win vs Matt Hughes
Loss vs Matt Serra
Win vs Matt Hughes
Loss vs Matt Hughes

GSP > Silva > Fedor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back