Television ANDOR (Dragonlord's Recommendation: One of the Best TV Shows of 2022, post #439)

The story is so damn well constructed. Every scene has meaning and these actors are crushing it. Never knew I needed this type of Star Wars.

So I'm guessing him attacking/charging the Troopers is what put him in the youth detention center huh? Amazing scene between him and Maarva as well. A lot of emotional weight there. Have a bad feeling regarding her fate.

Loving all the ISB scenes. Dedra continues to be an interesting character. It's odd, bc I find myself pulling for her and then have to catch myself and think, "why are you rooting for the ISB?"...Haha I have to be honest though, her and Major Partagaz are two of my favorite characters so far.

The Mon Mothma scenes had to be my favorite though. Seeing the contrast between her and Luthen was a nice touch. In any rebellion, you're going to have the types who will do what needs to be done, morality be damned. Some would argue you need those types in order to win against an immoral enemy. So those like Luthen or Saw Gerrera will always play a significant part. But perhaps Luthen is more in the middle of the two though, as Saw is rather extreme...? Guess time will tell. Curious to see how Mon balances her conscious on that. I've definitely enjoyed seeing more development of her character on this show. The conversation with her childhood banker friend at dinner party was great stuff. Her line about how she projects herself and taking what she's learned from Palpatine really hit home. Made me think back to how Mon Montha is portrayed in other shows/movies and if I should perhaps reevaluate her.

Although I thought the episode was phenomenal, I wasn't a fan of the last scene. I understand the meaning, but it felt out of place for me. With that said, next Wednesday can't come soon enough.[spoiler/]

Last edited:
The electronic music around the beach scene reminded me of New Order Bizarre Love Triangle.

This past episode somehow seemed more filling.

The intro name graphic seems so slow as if they're trying to fill a time quota.

The story is so damn well constructed. Every scene has meaning and these actors are crushing it. Never knew I needed this type of Star Wars.

So I'm guessing him attacking/charging the Troopers is what put him in prison huh? Amazing scene between him and Maarva as well. A lot of emotional weight there. Have a bad feeling regarding her fate.

Loving all the ISB scenes. Dedra continues to be an interesting character. It's odd, bc I find myself pulling for her and then have to catch myself and think, "why are you rooting for the ISB?"...Haha I have to be honest though, her and Major Partagaz are two of my favorite characters so far.

The Mon Mothma scenes had to be my favorite though. Seeing the contrast between her and Luthen was a nice touch. In any rebellion, you're going to have the types who will do what needs to be done, morality be damned. Some would argue you need those types in order to win against an immoral enemy. So those like Luthen or Saw Gerrera will always play a significant part. But perhaps Luthen is more in the middle of the two though, as Saw is rather extreme...? Guess time will tell. Curious to see how Mon balances her conscious on that. I've definitely enjoyed seeing more development of her character on this show. The conversation with her childhood banker friend at dinner party was great stuff. Her line about how she projects herself and taking what she's learned from Palpatine really hit home. Made me think back to how Mon Montha is portrayed in other shows/movies and if I should perhaps reevaluate her.

Although I thought the episode was phenomenal, I wasn't a fan of the last scene. I understand the meaning, but it felt out of place for me. With that said, next Wednesday can't come soon enough.[spoiler/]

Agreed all around. Luthen is a straight gangster. Dedra is a sympathetic character you want to root for, something like Reva should have been. Up to now, she's been practically a "good guy" but the "in your face bitch" grin she flashes Blevin when she gets the sector casts her squarely in "bad guy" territory. I would have preferred her just taking the W like a pro, so she could remain ambiguous.

Re. prison I think it's deliberately meant to be baseless. Empire handing out sentences like candy on Halloween.

But Luthen and Partagaz need to have an old man Pride rules throwdown for the Bad Old MFer belt.

larger than the foundation empire, even? trantor was their coruscant and it had 20 agrarian planets dedicated solely to supplying its food

Short answer, it's close. I don't know much about Asimov's empire, but google says Trantor had a population of 40 billion and the Asimov empire a population of 500 quadrillion. Coruscant had a population of 3 trillion and the Galactic Empire a population of between 100 quadrillion (specified in now non-canon EU material) but disputed by chat forum nerds as being too low, with the actual population somewhere between 1 and 100 quintillion.

Even at the low end, 100 quadrillion is ludicrous speed in 12 parsecs. That's more than 10 million times the current population of Earth, which has never been under unified governance. Barring everyone being connected by a hive mind, it's unfathomable that control and discipline could be maintained. It's barely conceivable how crazy that would be, considering how hard it is to maintain central control over even one shitty country on earth.

Last edited:
This is my favorite show on TV right now. Star wars knocking it out of the park here.
Same. It's detailed and rich, decadently rich, but without being like the prequels where there's a bunch of distracting shit on screen. It's like every shot, everyone and everything in the background or foreground has purpose. Characters don't do dumb things in service of the plot. The villains are multidimensional. The acting is superb. It's constantly setting things up. I hope the level of quality stays consistent.

This show has gotten so good. The writing is razor sharp, the acting is some of the best in any Star Wars. Characters on both sides are morally grey and seem like real people.

I also love the vaguely 70s aesthetic. It's a nice touch that adds a lot IMO.

Re. prison I think it's deliberately meant to be baseless. Empire handing out sentences like candy on Halloween.

Sorry, I shouldn't have said "prison". I was referencing the conversation he had with Skeen, when he talked about being put in a youth center when he was 13. Then we see the flashback with him charging the Troopers, which I assume gives us the reason why he was put in there.

Sorry, I shouldn't have said "prison". I was referencing the conversation he had with Skeen, when he talked about being put in a youth center when he was 13. Then we see the flashback with him charging the Troopers, which I assume gives us the reason why he was put in there.

Yeah, that's the way I interpreted it too. Based on what he said to Skeen and earlier to Luthen, he went to prison at 13 and was conscripted into the Imperial army as a foot soldier (or cook according to Luthen lol) when released from prison at 16. I want to know what was up with Skeen's tattoos. Andor identifies them as "Krayt's head" and "Mark of the Hand." Likely some prison reference but "Mark of the Hand" could be related to "Emperor's Hand" meaning Skeen had some former connection to Palpatine.

This show has gotten so good. The writing is razor sharp, the acting is some of the best in any Star Wars. Characters on both sides are morally grey and seem like real people.

I thought the same. Karn's mom's apartment looks like a set out of Clockwork Orange with the 70's looking "futuristic" decor. That situation has to come to a head soon. Poor Karn is a proud man but has to live in his mom's house, put up with her shit talking him every day, work a job in a cubicle farm that she arranged for him and get served kid's breakfast cereal in the kitchen. If that doesn't make a man want to go postal, not sure what will. Dude is seething inside and probably blames Andor for all of this.

Last edited:
last two episodes have been very good.
before that they were pretty much ass, but glad to see it's picking up

the entire retro-futuristic look of the show is great.

In terms of the general feel of the show, all the SW shows shot at StageCraft looked fine but Andor made a great decision to shoot elsewhere IMO.

I love the StageCraft concept but Andor just looks more real. Presumably they used a lot more physical sets and a bigger location. Andor feels both bigger and more real visually than the other SW shows.

Whenever you see the name "Karn," does anyone else think of this dude from Pro Wrestling on NES?

upload_2022-10-20_20-55-42.png

Pro_Wrestling_Kin_Corn_Karn.png

Pro_Wrestling_Karate_Kick.gif

Yes I'm old AF.

Attachments

• upload_2022-10-20_20-55-20.png
    upload_2022-10-20_20-55-20.png
    823 bytes · Views: 1
    823 bytes · Views: 0
    823 bytes · Views: 0
The actress playing Mon Mothma is an absolute G. Very intelligent and thoughtful, talks about how fantastic the sets are and how it helps having real sets to interact with. Seems like everything is finely crafted. Incredible casting.

This series keeps delivering - another great episode today. This is the best thing to happen to SW since Mandalorian and it's probably above that, given all the world building and big picture details they're giving us.

I was questioning if they would pull off a coherent plot given all the seemingly arbitrary shit in the early episodes, but they're weaving it together seamlessly. And they're throwing in important cameos, references and themes from the movies. Fucking bravo.

Curious if there will be some significance, but I agree with @SiKnSiN above that the last scene of the previous episode seemed out of place. Andor went from wanting to take his mom to safety "someplace warm" to "OK fuck it. She doesn't want to go so I'll just shack up with some ho at a beach resort." Then he gets randomly arrested for going for revnog at the corner bodega WTF. Guess they wanted to show the Empire is there to fuck up even your beach vacation.

Last edited:
Back