Andre Arlovski vs Fres Oquendo sparring

Arlovski's always had great handspeed and power for heavyweight. It wasnt his hands that let him down vs Sylvia. It was that chin. Fres would kill him in real boxing match. Fres hits pretty hard. Arlovski didnt look like a fish out of water though.

yea they looked like they were just working with eachother also....lol of course Fres wouldve handled him..

it seems like AA cant deal with Fres's jab, that is what really seperates good mma boxers and good boxers. THe ability to use the jab as both an offensive and defensive weapon.

it seems like AA cant deal with Fres's jab, that is what really seperates good mma boxers and good boxers. THe ability to use the jab as both an offensive and defensive weapon.
tru...look at how tentative aa looks to let his hands go...fres had an answer for just about everything he threw,but like i said earlier im sure he was just working with him...but good for aa getting that experience with a legit boxer..im sure he'll get better

I always liked Fres.
Struggling with him a bit, and not being a pro boxer, is nothing to be ashamed of.

However, I was more than happy when Tua caught him when Fres was too busy jaw-jacking.

Fres' jab was too fast for Andrei, still, good to see him working on it with someone like that.

I have mad respect for Arlovski for doing this not that I didn't before, when is his boxing debut?

Hes not as quick as I thought he'd be, but he won't be the slowest HW maybe just slow for a small HW. To give him the benefit of the dought as the poster who claimed he couldn't deal with FO jab was correct. AA was on his heals for three rounds because he could not find his rhythm and did not land a single punch. His does however have the early looks of a natural counterpuncher. He seem comfortable with letting his oponent lead with is good as he'll need good defense if he plains on pursuing
boxing. He has potential but with the 16 or 18oz. sparring gloves his hands looked slower than I thought they'd be. He is also supposibly sporting a weak chin which is a no no in HW boxing. I give the guy alot of respect for steping out of his element and learning from the great Freddy Roach. It will adavance his MMA all around stand up game significatly.

This can only help A.A whether its his mma career or boxing career. Too bad more mma fighters don't do it.

He didnt look out of place. You can definitely see the difference between the two though. Fres just looks more comfortable in there, has more tricks up his sleeve. Overall, hes just the more seasoned boxer with faster hands.

Not bad.

In the 1st Vid Arlovski looked pretty good. His jab had snap, in the beginning. But AA's inexperience was showing. Fres would come over the top with a right when Arlovski's jab was lazy. The little mistakes added up by the end.

There's no denying that AA is a great athlete. Whether or not he'll be a great boxer only time will tell. So how I doubt he'll make all of the necessary adjustments before going pro. The best place to make the adjustments is in the Amatures. If he has no amature experience it will catch up with him when he rises through the ranks.

Just remember; this is only sparring.
They aren't playing paddy-cake, but they also aren't trying to knock each others heads off.
AA didn't look terrible sparring with Fres, but again.... sparring.

Why's AA getting into Boxing, doesn't he know Boxing is DEAD!!!

"If TUF never happened, Boxing wouldn't be DEAD!!!

ProBoxingTombstone.jpg

Who's with me, men?"

Hah hah, just posted this over in the Heavyweights.
http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f2/if-tuf-never-happened-840808/index3.html

Back