International Angela Merkel criticizes Trump twitter ban

DO you agree with Angela Merkel's criticism?

• Total voters
free speech extremist is something like - i believe no limitations should be put on freedom of speech. like zero. you would have no copyright in tht world. you could paint a painting and i could copy it completely and you couldnt do anything because any expression of mine is 100% guaranteed under freedom of speech.
belief in freedom of speech with mild limitation to defend society against people that are breaking the law (pedophilia, direct thread of violence, whatever), is actually the centrist view.

I'm not sure I would call that extremist, personally. There are plenty of valid critiques to be made against IP laws and their enforcement. It's a major grievance of the far left with respect to open source and public domain

free speech extremist is something like - i believe no limitations should be put on freedom of speech. like zero. you would have no copyright in tht world. you could paint a painting and i could copy it completely and you couldnt do anything because any expression of mine is 100% guaranteed under freedom of speech.
belief in freedom of speech with mild limitation to defend society against people that are breaking the law (pedophilia, direct thread of violence, whatever), is actually the centrist view.

The phrase is Free Speech Absolutist

Uh, virtually the entire political establishment as well as their large donors? What, you think your brain farts on a karate forum are more representative of the right in America than the actual political/intellectual elites who create and pass policy? Get real.

could you be a little more specific?

and can we quit this " derp derp, posting on Karate forum...." as if it's some sort of insult?

first off, it's an MMA forum.

and like I said 500 times before, this forum is so much better than other forums I've been too.

I do, I agree with Merkel's government's mention about being troubled over big tech censoring, and Trump's ban on Twitter.

Same argument the segregationists used. "Its my restaurant and I refuse to serve darkies!" Then we realized that actually made for a pretty shitty society and was unethical, so we changed the rules on who private companies could and couldn't exclude. Its time to do the same for political affiliation. If we want healing and unity, we have to start with acceptance and tolerance. This country will never heal if you we are banning everyone who thinks differently than we do.

You don't get kicked off Twitter for being a registered Republican though

Jim Jordan and Louie Gohmert still have accounts along with millions of other Republicans

imagine how bad it is when even germans, who don't believe in freedom of speech, tell you you went too far
She's a hypocrite. Just concerned that Twitter censoring elites might affect her and the German elite also.

Same argument the segregationists used. "Its my restaurant and I refuse to serve darkies!" Then we realized that actually made for a pretty shitty society and was unethical, so we changed the rules on who private companies could and couldn't exclude. Its time to do the same for political affiliation. If we want healing and unity, we have to start with acceptance and tolerance. This country will never heal if you we are banning everyone who thinks differently than we do.
Here’s an addendum point: anyone who went maga tard last week and tailgating in dc for his trumpiness would have seen a lot of anti-Semitic content and confederate flags. At this point, if you really believe maga and that interest has no connections to racism, then you have to be scratching your head and wondering “did I go to the wrong place?” When I was teenage punk rocker, if I had gone to a punk show and showed up to find everyone wearing racist skinhead gear like the movie “green room”, I’d be out of there. I don’t want to be connected to that sort of dangerous shit and I’m probably at risk in being around it. Anyone who doesn’t feel that way in a crowd of confederate flags and pro-Holocaust signage is fucked up.

I think someone mentioned here Trump still has a government account for Twitter he could use? Is that correct?

Kind of ironic in retrospect that Trump, himself, was the one who for a time chose to effectively "ban" official White House press briefings.
He hasn't been silenced. He just doesn't want to answer follow up questions. Remember when they were daily press briefings? Him governing by tweet has just allowed this administration to be more opaque.

It seems the chorus of respectable world leaders criticizing the twitter ban of president donald trump is growing. The clear-headed people of the world can see why it is a huge problem and what an awful and dangerous precedent it sets.

"Angela Merkel, German chancellor, has sharply criticised Twitter’s decision to ban US president Donald Trump, calling it a “problematic” breach of the “fundamental right to free speech”.

But Ms Merkel said through her spokesman that the US government should follow Germany’s lead in adopting laws that restrict online incitement, rather than leaving it up to platforms such as Twitter and Facebook to make up their own rules."

https://www.ft.com/content/6146b352-6b40-48ef-b10b-a34ad585b91a

edit - other sources
https://www.aa.com.tr/en/europe/merkel-critical-of-twitter-s-trump-ban/2106045
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...rkel-Trumps-Twitter-eviction-problematic.html

She doesn't seem to understand how the first amendment works.

She's a hypocrite. Just concerned that Twitter censoring elites might affect her and the German elite also.

censoring the elites?

twitter is the elites basically deciding who has the right to speak and who doesn't

But seriously, her rebuttal is essentially "Corporation censorship bad; government censorship good." Uh, NO. Government censorship is much worse because it supersedes all entities in society; the truth can't be spoken anywhere. We would be essentially leaving it to government to put in a place a good faith and ideology-free interpretation of what a lie is, which information is fake news and which is not, what is hate speech is and what it isn't.

Re: fake news and lies: that's extremely complex and academics almost never have consensus on what the "truth" is (no matter what the media tells you), and evidence is constantly evolving. What is considered "truth" is essentially orthodoxy, not objective truth. Hate speech is extremely subjective; micro-aggression is a good demonstration that anything can be construed and perceived as an offense. Not to mention that hate speech also involves a very large element of silencing political enemies. For example mentioning objective crime statistics to demonstrate that black people on average have more interactions with police because of the criminal element in their communities and not necessarily because of discrimination becomes "hate speech". Putting that editorial power in the hands of anyone - whether it be corporations or the government - is a fundamental mistake.

Leave it to the supervillain of Europe to make a statement that sounds supportive of free speech on its' surface, only to be actually against the spirit of free speech in substance. Smiling while preparing the dagger to stab us in the back.

could you be a little more specific?

and can we quit this " derp derp, posting on Karate forum...." as if it's some sort of insult?

first off, it's an MMA forum.

and like I said 500 times before, this forum is so much better than other forums I've been too.
Here's an NYT article that goes over the general anti-worker orthodoxy of the GOP which includes at-will employment. I am not insulting the forum or whatever, I'm pointing out that your minority opinion on the right is not as representative of the right as a whole when compared to the hundreds of lawmakers, donors, and think tank staff who actually create, fund, and implement the policy objectives of the right wing establishment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Derik
Back