Another Kyokushin vs Muay Thai thread ...

And it begins...

AndHereWeGo.gif

Is it just me, or is KarateStylist getting less understandable everytime he takes a dump in this forum? I couldn't even understand him this time.

Any historical reason why Muay Thai fighters wear gloves?

Ah...I missed the party, just gonna answer this kid question then. Time to make my knowledge useful.
First this's what muay thai used to look like

_002.jpg

This's a fight between a muay thai fighter and kung fu fighter from almost hundred year ago, around the time of WW1.
As you can see, no ring, no gloves, just full contact rule. Muay thai fighters have fought like this since the inception of the art.

But there's problem, in 1928, Thai boxer accidentally killed Cambodian boxer by double uppercut to the throat.

(pic just for you to picture it easier)

Hanumanthawaiwean.jpg

Yeah, that's fucked up, and completely against the will of Thailand that tried to develop the nation at that time.
We adopted western boxing rule set, and ring, also gloves to make muay thai more "civilized", and boom!
That's "muay thai", and we call all old styles "muay boran" which mean ancient muay thai.

You can still find the bareknuckle match in the border of Thailand and Myanmar, Lethwei fighters fight barehanded.

not enough talent pool though.

Until we see buff black guys doin it we'll never know how powerful the art really is.

old school muay thai for you, 1948 after WW2.

just skip to 5:00

This one's from 1960s

just skip to 10:40

Is it just me, or is KarateStylist getting less understandable everytime he takes a dump in this forum? I couldn't even understand him this time.

I think he's not on his medication right now.

I compare Karate to Christianity: so many different sects with different views to the point where it is difficult to even talk about Karate in unison.

True. I respect Kyokushin Karate very much as well. Kyokushin practitioners are tough, agile , know how to kick and are strong as hell. I , however, have witnessed the exact same thing. I once even heard Kyokushin fighters saying that all the other TMAs compared to kyokushin were nothing but "ballet" and that Muay Thai people "didn

Not every karate school does knuckle conditioning. Its very hard to find a serious and intense karate school like the ones in japan. You can find a proper muay thai school a lot easier.

Also knuckle conditioning is a myth. It does not protect a lot of the small bones just because the 2 knuckles are bigger. There is no need to risk breaking the hand. Kyokushin fighters have no footwork. All the miay thai guy has to do is to put grab him in the clinch.

Not every karate school does knuckle conditioning. Its very hard to find a serious and intense karate school like the ones in japan. You can find a proper muay thai school a lot easier.

almost all kyokushin karate dojos will train knuckle conditioning as well as overall conditioning of the body. it's usually intense unless it's what I call a family-dojo.
Maybe what you say is true for where you live but definitely not true in the rest of the world.

Also knuckle conditioning is a myth. It does not protect a lot of the small bones just because the 2 knuckles are bigger. There is no need to risk breaking the hand.

knuckle conditioning is the same as shin conditioning. it doesn't protect completely from breaking but certainly helps in solidifying the bones and being able to handle more impact. It's not a myth.

Kyokushin fighters have no footwork. All the miay thai guy has to do is to put grab him in the clinch.

a big generalization which again isn't true. maybe in the open weight tournament you can say that, but that's because most of them are over 90 kilos and up.

Also knuckle conditioning is a myth. It does not protect a lot of the small bones just because the 2 knuckles are bigger. There is no need to risk breaking the hand. Kyokushin fighters have no footwork. All the miay thai guy has to do is to put grab him in the clinch.

What part of what country are you in? That's an inaccurately gross generalization about schools. Knockdown karate schools are rarer than MT schools on the West Coast, but tend to be of uniformly better quality than MT schools (there's a lot of bullshit MT floating around these days).

Same goes for your generalization about bone conditioning (Wolff's law is a scientifically proven phenomenon, look it up), footwork (look up Narushima Ryu, Matsui Shokei, Andy Hug, Midori Kenji, Kazumi Hajime, etc.), and clinching (look up the full curriculum of Kyokushin as opposed to the tournament rules Kyokushin, and also Kyokushin offshoots like Ashihara, Enshin, Daido Juku, and Zendokai).

All this is coming from me, a guy that's actually trained MT in multiple parts of the world (including Thailand) and knockdown karate in multiple parts of the world (including under the first non-Japanese Kyokushin black belt).

Back