Anthony Pettis's team says Jose Aldo's leg kicks are a non-issue. Big mistake??

He's just saying that, there's no way they could possibly believe that

If Rufus is good at one thing it's the striking game. I think they mean it's a non-issue in that they are ready for it at Rufus camp, not that Aldo's kicks are not effective. Not a big Pettis follower but did you not see him pick apart Cerrone inside one round? Cerrone is a great striker.

Also, Edgar was able to match Aldo's speed so it's not delusional. Pettis is not bulky like Maynard or anything. Aldo once again showed that he slows down a bit in the championship rounds.

We'll see come fight time. Pettis could have a counter or he is working mind games with Aldo. Aldo is not easy to fool, these guys will be kicking the crap out of each other legs so I hope they come out alive at the end. :icon_lol: Atomic kicks galore.

I seriously cannot wait for this fight

i heard pettis say he's going to check those kicks. i guess if he does that, then he wont have to worry?

what i'd like to know is who's going to shoot for a takedown first?

Aldo's leg kicks aren't just hard they are really quick as well. I doubt that Pettis can block them all, but being prepared to have an effective block and counter is better than just eating them. It worked for Edgar, Aldo abandoned the leg kicks as soon as he felt defending takedowns would expend too much energy.

At no time during that fight did it appear to me that Edgar was matching Aldo's speed.

In the first 3 rounds Aldo was clearly the faster guy, but after the gas tank started to run on low in the 4th and 5th, it watsn't as visible, but it was more of a cardio thing. Pettis isnt as fast as Aldo, but his timing will balance out with Aldos speed.

Cant wait till August

Aldo has the best leg kicks pound for pound in all of MMA imo. Duke Rufus is a smart guy, but to think they won't even be a factor in the fight?? Also him saying Pettis is faster than Aldo is just delusional imo... I think they might be setting themselves up for a loss here with this kind of thinking and strategy.

source - Anthony Pettis' coach believes Jose Aldo's leg kicks are a "non-issue"

What's delusional about it?
Pettis is fast as fuck.

Aldo's legkicks can be checked from a TKD or Karate stance if you're smart or fast enough, which Pettis is.

Sounds like you're just an Aldo fan upset someone would insinuate your hero may have a challenge.

Unless Pettis plans on wrestling a lot he needs to be concerned without a doubt; the only reason that Aldo stopped kicking Edgar was that Edgar was getting 10-second takedowns to start the 3rd Round off of them and judges somehow think that wins you a round if you get 2 of them so Aldo backed off and focused on his hands.

Unless Pettis plans on wrestling a lot he needs to be concerned without a doubt; the only reason that Aldo stopped kicking Edgar was that Edgar was getting 10-second takedowns to start the 3rd Round off of them and judges somehow think that wins you a round if you get 2 of them so Aldo backed off and focused on his hands.

No, he stopped kicking because Frankie timed him and was expecting it.
It's easy to counter off of a rear kick with a left hook, which Frankie was looking for.

Aldo's leg kicks aren't just hard they are really quick as well. I doubt that Pettis can block them all, but being prepared to have an effective block and counter is better than just eating them. It worked for Edgar, Aldo abandoned the leg kicks as soon as he felt defending takedowns would expend too much energy.

Faber didn't respect Aldo's speed either.

Pettis won't be looking for takedowns, so Aldo will throw those kicks a lot more. Pettis slows down, Aldo goes in for the kill. He's faster than Pettis hands down.

Pettis comes from a taekwondo background, and Jose Aldo's style is muay thai. Historically, thai boxers mess up tkd guys' legs with low kicks. Pettis isn't a pure tkd fighter, but what are his tendencies when people try to low kick him? How does he deal with someone who is really good with low kicks?

i heard pettis say he's going to check those kicks. i guess if he does that, then he wont have to worry?

what i'd like to know is who's going to shoot for a takedown first?

I think Pettis might, Aldo never even looked interested in taking it to ground vs Edgar, then again he might watch the Clay Guida and Jeremy Stephens fights and look at how those two found success putting him on his back.

Aldo's leg kicks are most certainly an issue for anyone, Pettis knows what he's doing though, all pre fight hype.

im sure rufus has no idea how to check a leg kick. probably never even seen one.

also, pettis speed will be just fine next to aldo's. aldo is going to get lit the fuck up with punches.

Back