Anthony Smith is chasing the Dragon

Trabaho

Mighty
@Black
Reaction score
"Maybe I just need to take it one at a time and just face whatever challenge is in front of me and stop—not that I’m looking past people or looking too far ahead—but everything I have wrapped into this fighting thing is about the title. Maybe when I stop being so concerned about the title, maybe I can fully focus on what’s in front of me.”

Lost 3/4 recently. Has 11 T(ko) losses.

He visibly doesn´t look as fit and atheltic anymore. Hasn´t got that explosion and pop anymore. Plenty injuries.

I think he should fight easy competition and if he wins gradually increase the level. At this point looks like he will be used as a springboard. He got the name and is still ranked. And he is deluded enough to go for big match ups. Now delusion is a good thing, that´s why he´s the Lionheart and made a good career for himself. But at one point the sings are ignored. Even before this fight losing 2/3 and talking about having a title shot soon. Khalil outpowered and outpeaked him there hard. Even the Ryan Span win was lucky, he edged out 2 rounds, the third barely. He wasn´t far from getting finished there. If it was Pride rules Ryan easily gets the decision, as they score the whole contest. 2 years earlier he walked trough Ryan Spann.

I think his body isn´t as fit and explosive anymore. These recent performances are a far cry from his best work since the Shogun and Gustafson fights. Where he looked elite.

Both Walker and Rountree were too athletic for him. 35 is ok for LHW, but the damage acumulated after 56 fights. He hurt his legs both in the Rakic and Ankalev fights. His last 5 losses were very one sided, he wasn´t competitive in them.

Respect to Anthony but he needs to consider who to fight. Unranked guys or at least low ranked top 15 guys, and guys who are not peaking like Khalil.

Self belief is a great assset to have. But nothing speaks against facing 2 easier fights, which aren´t gonna be easy anyways, instead of being on losses like Wonderboy and mentioning how you´re about to create a title shot opportunity. Win 2 lower ranked or unranked fights then go for the next step. there is no easy 2 fight streak that gives you a shot.

Even Dana slipped up verbally and said he was disapointed Walker didn´t finish him, cause that fight was for Walker to shine. Anthony is going the path of the falling top ranked fighter, who got a name but is declining, now all sort of studs get to make highlights out of him.

Looking at the rankings, Jacoby and Reyes make sense for him.

Respect to Anthony. But take it slow. It isn´t even a problem that he lost some fights, it´s how he didn´t look the old himself. He lost a step.

Not trying to hate or discourage just my 0.2 € .

Maybe he can rejuvenate himself, Glover won the title at 44, that´s 9 years difference. But Anthony just doesn´t look as strong and athletic as others at 205. His phisique tells me the story. Rakic could manhandle him on power.

Probably take 6 months completely off and train hard. Improve training rest diet or whatever. Then go for Reyes or Jacoby.

Or just go for fun fight and see where it takes him. Look for some favorable money fights, which make money. To keep him living his passion. If at some point a title shot comes great. Who expected Strickland to get one.

However try hard trying to contend is a mistake at this point. His body is probably worn out a bit at this point, more then his peers. He needs to recover fully and get as strong as other elite LHWs.

I hope this was sort of thread worthy and someone cares about this topic

- Trabaho

Last edited:
"Maybe I just need to take it one at a time and just face whatever challenge is in front of me and stop—not that I’m looking past people or looking too far ahead—but everything I have wrapped into this fighting thing is about the title. Maybe when I stop being so concerned about the title, maybe I can fully focus on what’s in front of me.”

He visibly doesn´t look as fit and atheltic anymore. Hasn´t got that explosion and pop anymore. Plenty injuries.

I think he should fight easy competition and if he wins gradually increase the level. At this point looks like he will be used as a springboard. He got the name and is still ranked. And he is deluded enough to go for big match ups. Now delusion is a good thing, that´s why he´s the Lionheart and made a good career for himself. But at one point the sings are ignored. Even before this fight losing 2/3 and talking about having a title shot soon. Khalil outpowered and outpeaked him there hard. Even the Ryan Span win was lucky, he edged out 2 rounds, the third barely. He wasn´t far from getting finished there. If it was Pride rules Ryan easily gets the decision, as they score the whole contest. 2 years earlier he walked trough Ryan Spann.

I think his body isn´t as fit and explosive anymore. These recent performances are a far cry from his best work since the Shogun and Gustafson fights. Where he looked elite.

Both Walker and Rountree were too athletic for him. 35 is ok for LHW, but the damage acumulated after 56 fights. He hurt his legs both in the Rakic and Ankalev fights. His last 5 losses were very one sided, he wasn´t competitive in them.

Respect to Anthony but he needs to consider who to fight. Unranked guys or at least low ranked top 15 guys, and guys who are not peaking like Khalil.

Self belief is a great assset to have. But nothing speaks against facing 2 easier fights, which aren´t gonna be easy anyways, instead of being on losses like Wonderboy and mentioning how you´re about to create a title shot opportunity. Win 2 lower ranked or unranked fights then go for the next step. there is no easy 2 fight streak that gives you a shot.

Even Dana slipped up verbally and said he was disapointed Walker didn´t finish him, cause that fight was for Walker to shine. Anthony is going the path of the falling top ranked fighter, who got a name but is declining, now all sort of studs get to make highlights out of him.

Respect to Anthony. But take it slow. It isn´t even a problem that he lost some fights, it´s how he didn´t look the old himself. He lost a step.

Maybe he can rejuvenate himself, Glover won the title at 44, that´s 9 years difference. But Anthony just doesn´t look as strong and athletic as others at 205. His phisique tells me the story. Rakic could manhandle him on power.

Probably take 6 months completely off and train hard. Improve training rest diet or whatever. Then go for Reyes or Jacoby.

Or just go for fun fight and see where it takes him. Look for some favorable money fights, which make money. To keep him living his passion. If at some point a title shot comes great. Who expected Strickland to get one.

However try hard trying to contend is a mistake at this point. His body is probably worn out a bit at this point, more then his peers. He needs to recover fully and get as strong as other elite LHWs.

I hope tihs was sort of thread worthy and someone cares about this topic

- Trabaho

"Maybe when I stop" ~fin

See this is what I don't like about Smith, he always is looking to find an excuse to why he isn't winning, all the while coming in looking horribly out of career shape

Maybe he can rejuvenate himself, Glover won the title at 44, that´s 9 years difference.

Problem is he's never been as good a fighter as Glover. And Glover won the title because he was in a historically weak light heavyweight division, not because he got better at 42. The Glover who fought Jones was a better fighter than the one who won the title.

Unfortunately, life and family got in his way. Anthony had a ton of potential and is very talented, but I think he has to many things pulling on him to be his best.

I hope tihs was sort of thread worthy and someone cares about this topic

- Trabaho
Too long to read but we appreciate your contribution. 🤟😁🤟

I should've get that DQ win against Jones.

Anthony Smith won’t rest until he takes down everyone who attacked his family.

Dude should seek a sports therapist. Although it's likely too late for any real change that would get him potentially to the title.

Thank you fighter Trabaho. You was always been put on the work, inside and outside of ring.

#JustBangGod bless you

How do I remove a double quote ?
See this is what I don't like about Smith, he always is looking to find an excuse to why he isn't winning, all the while coming in looking horribly out of career shape

I respect it, I know a lot of fans hate him for that. But PMA, positive mental attitude, gets athletes a long way. However you need a grain of hard reality with it. At least say I am going to win my next 2 mid level fights then fight a contender then go for a title. Him and Wonderboy lose 2 out of 3 then tell everyone yeah I want to be champ soon, I just need this win. Honestly I think they dream about 1 milion dollar which comes from a title fight as champ. Rather be realistic, you can win 3 fights get the win bonus and earn well too. Keep the dream open in your head, but it´s not even PMA but delusion to lose 2 out of 3 and then be like yeah I´m close to a title shot.

Too long to read but we appreciate your contribution. 🤟😁🤟
I actually voted for you on that best sherdog poster thread, you and Dutch Giant got my vote. I mean Mauritius.
I should've get that DQ win against Jones.

It was a perfect move to not take it. I believe that landed him his comentator gig, which will outlast some fake DQ win. I think if he milked it and took the DQ, Jone would finished ihm in the rematch and the UFC might´ve given him 2 tough match ups and cut him. This way the UFC apreciated it and gives him a long stream of income.

<Lmaoo>

When I was young this meant smoking heroin lol

I did not expect thread to be like this lol

Yeah it´s a play on that terminology. You can use terms from all fields to get the point accross in something unrelated. It describes it here.

I hope this was sort of thread worthy and someone cares about this topic

- Trabaho
He's still only 35 & we could see him fight, but he has lost his mojo. He's only gonna cop more damage in the ring. Hell, he has a commentating role of sorts, so that should give him some $$ & without getting CTE. Some fighters (like T Ferg & BJ was the same) just don't know when to tap. Can't blame them if they've done that all of their lives & still have the drive.

Bottom line is that I wouldn't mind seeing him fight, but don't want to see him mushed through the cage like a spud.

He can still speak better than Tito, but that's not saying much I guess:)

Back