Anthony Smith is chasing the Dragon

I'm just a cuck behind a keyboard but I am glad he has chosen just to focus on what is right in front of him from here on out because he's not winning the title

TLDR but I do care about your thread

He's a good mid card fighter,but has really taken some horrendous beatings,and I know fighters sometimes have to be delusional,but this guy's interviews going into fights baffle me. Like literally nothing you are talking about is reality bro.

"I'm definitely not shot, it's probably just my elite ability to take in the bigger picture that's costing me these otherwise easy wins"

<WhatIsThis>

That mentality alone should keep him out of the cage, unless he is commentating, for his own safety. BUT - they still let T-Ferg fight.

<mma4>

Problem is he's never been as good a fighter as Glover. And Glover won the title because he was in a historically weak light heavyweight division, not because he got better at 42. The Glover who fought Jones was a better fighter than the one who won the title.
Glover started winning and got the title because he went from trying to strike with everyone to using his ground game to exploit a division lacking good grapplers (they all went to Bellator). Training with Alex definitely helped him there as Glover was kinda falling into that MMA trap of chasing the knockout off single shots.

Alex is similar. He keeps striking until he gets the crap beaten out of him and then finally goes to his grappling when it's too late. He also just isn't that level and wouldn't be ranked in any other era at LHW.

He should def call it a day and just work at the desk. He had a nice run at some point, but he's never been champion material.

I think the problem with Anthony is that he doesn't see himself or his fights in an objective way. He thinks he's this big tough athletic dude with a killer instinct. But he's not that guy and thinking he is, is what's not allowing him to adapt and embrace a different gameplan more suited to his skillset and mindset.

Smith is a joke tbh ….I respect anyone that fights as much as smith…but his self evaluations of his skills are ridiculous

Smith has not been an elite LHW since like 2018 if he ever was one. He was propped up by the most favorable matchmaking any elite fighter has ever had. He first got his ranking by "retiring people"(aka fighting legends right before they retire) and that miracle win over Volkan. And then the UFC started feeding him Devin Clark, Jimmy Crute,

I remember thinking in early 2019 Smith was wasting Jones time with a title shot and I wanted to see Santos, Reyes and Corey Anderson. That was 5 years ago. And Smith is just now departing the top 10. In reality he departed it a very long time ago.

Glover started winning and got the title because he went from trying to strike with everyone to using his ground game to exploit a division lacking good grapplers (they all went to Bellator). Training with Alex definitely helped him there as Glover was kinda falling into that MMA trap of chasing the knockout off single shots.

Alex is similar. He keeps striking until he gets the crap beaten out of him and then finally goes to his grappling when it's too late. He also just isn't that level and wouldn't be ranked in any other era at LHW.

Glover's prime was when Jones was champion. No one was beating Jones. There were also better wrestlers than him like Phil Davis and Corey Anderson in the division. Not to mention Rumble, another great wrestler who could stuff his takedowns and was a better striker with bombs for fists. And prime Gus was impossible to keep down. Glover was never gonna get the title in that division. But those guys all left and suddenly Anthony Smith and Thiago Santos were the top guys in the division. That's why Glover won the title at 42. He went from being the 6th best wrestler at 205 to the best.

Glover's prime was when Jones was champion. No one was beating Jones. There were also better wrestlers than him like Phil Davis and Corey Anderson in the division. Not to mention Rumble, another great wrestler who could stuff his takedowns and was a better striker with bombs for fists. And prime Gus was impossible to keep down. Glover was never gonna get the title in that division. But those guys all left and suddenly Anthony Smith and Thiago Santos were the top guys in the division. That's why Glover won the title at 42. He went from being the 6th best wrestler at 205 to the best.
Yes I completely agree. You just posted what I said with more names. Glover wasn't a great wrestler, I said he was a great grappler. He did lose to some great wrestlers who left the UFC. His BJJ was always high level, his boxing was pretty dangerous aswell, but he was a touch slow.

Gustaffson was underated as a wrestler.
I miss prime Rumble. He checked out mentally in the DC fight, but I reckon he would have taken out Jones at that time.

I think the problem with Anthony is that he doesn't see himself or his fights in an objective way. He thinks he's this big tough athletic dude with a killer instinct. But he's not that guy and thinking he is, is what's not allowing him to adapt and embrace a different gameplan more suited to his skillset and mindset.
He chose to try and go toe to toe with Khalil Rountree is muay thai range to prove a point. he proved it's time to leave the rankings.

Back