Media Anthony Smith: Jon Jones is very beatable

Anthony Smith is mostly right here.

People shouldn't even be upset, he's just stating the obvious.

I don't agree with every detail, but the main premise is correct.
His main premise is that an undefeated legend of the sport, is actually very beatable and you somehow agree with that? How?

In theory,practice and theory are the same ,in peactice theyre not

Right but we know that Reyes actually beat him handily and now he's getting knocked out R1 on the undercard.
lol lands less than 50 percent of his strikes is beating someone handily? sounds like he was swinging at air most of the fight

I dislike Jones immensely, but he's not very beatable at all.
Even in his out of prime years he gives tough outings to pretty much anyone who stepped in there with him(I did think Reyes won tho).

Also I don't get his point about Jones not being good in certain skillsets according to his standard, it's MMA dude. Jones doesn't need to be an expert boxer to beat most of his opponents or even outstrike them, he's shown time and time again that in MMA he's one of the most well-rounded guys to ever compete.
I do agree that Jones boxing is probably one of the weaker areas of his game, but again that doesn't matter since this is MMA.

Again, no one said he's a GOAT striker. People claim he's the GOAT for MMA and the LHW division because of his resume on how well-rounded he is.

I disagree.

I mean of course, however there's no point in wondering with these "what ifs?" in other combats sports competition since neither him or Jones compete in them. Jones and Smith are MMA fighters, that's where they both made they're careers so I don't understand thinking about these unlikely scenarios in these other sports.

I like Anthony, but with all due respect he can have some really odd takes when it comes to talking about other fighters in MMA(Ankalaev is another example).
<PlusJuan>

This.

And, <WhatItIs>, but they fought, and Anthony nor anybody else can currently ever say the statement, "I beat Jon Jones" and it have actual weight or meaning behind it.

I get it though, in MMA & all combat sports really, you do have to be delusional confident in your abilities. I mean even after 3 times losing, Israel still wants immediate rematch with Alex.

So delusional confidence is practically a must in this sport!

<209Bitch>
<{JustBleed}>

Father time caught up to Jones enough that he barely was still the champion. Mr. Smith has rationalization to do in his head to keep feeling he can or will ever be the best, it's what fighters do. Unfortunately it's delusional.

Smith at his best is worse than faded Jones.

TBH, I think that Jon's legacy is overrated. The dude came into a weak LHW division with aging fighters and whenever he fought someone similar to his own size (Gus the first time), he struggled and some can argue had no business even being awarded that decision. Even against Reyes and Santos, he looked quite beatable and a lot are arguing whether he should have been rewarded those decisions but hey, to be the champ you have to beat the champ.

Jon saw the writing on the wall after the Reyes fight so he took off, I think that was smart.

However, his GOAT status is greatly exaggerated because of the weak division that he fought in.

If you just started watching mma, youd have absolutely no idea.

That era of a stacked division has never been matched.

Thinking 29 year old champions like Shogun were old is a clear indication of your mma knowledge.

He’s right. Jones is very beatable. So was GSP. Yeah he had decent wrestling, but his striking and bjj were average. Anderson was also very beatable. Good striking, but his wrestling sucked. Khabib was also extremely easy to beat. None of these guys are all that good.

Doesn’t really apply to Khabib, barely lost a round in his entire career, was never really tested, he really did look that good

Anthony Smith talks a lot but says a whole lot of nothing most of the time. I don't think I've ever heard him say anything insightful

Back