Media Anthony Smith says Leon Edwards is a frustrating champion, looking for safe win over Sean

Edwards is doing what others are: they know a double title is no risk high reward. They’ll talk nonsense just to try and justify it

If anything, Volk was recently very committed to earning a double title shot, and even that was extremely inconvenient for the divisions. This whole thing is getting out of hand

So, Leon has NO title defenses, wants to KEEP that belt secured, AND wants a title shot in

a division he has never even fought in one time?

Some may think that's not fair to EITHER division.​

Welcome to the club, Anthony.

I think every fighter chasing champ-champ is an asshole. And I know it's a new era and all that shit, but I wish everyone would strive to dominate one division for 5+ years instead.

It’s too much of a no brainer. They get to fight for a belt while not putting their own on the line

Entirely on the feet, Strickland broke a historically elite striker, who has gone a full 25 minutes in the UFC seven times, by the 4th. What in the hell makes Anthony think that he'd be a safe win for Leon?

So, Leon has NO title defenses, wants to KEEP that belt secured, AND wants a title shot in

a division he has never even fought in one time?

Some may think that's not fair to EITHER division.​
Well. He does actually have a title defense.

I agree with your overall point but still, he did defend.

In what way is he an easy fight for Leon who almost got finished by Nate Diaz??? What's Leon going to do that Israel couldn't? Is he going to hit harder than Cannonier?

The UFC let the genie out of the bottle (or the evils from Pandora's Box) with Conor. Previously, they didn't permit champ champ. As I recall, a fighter had to vacate to fight for a second title. Or at least they would have had to relinquish one of them.
BJ Penn, but he was another one of Dana's favorites. Conor reignited it, after they told Also no.

Welcome to the club, Anthony.

I think every fighter chasing champ-champ is an asshole. And I know it's a new era and all that shit, but I wish everyone would strive to dominate one division for 5+ years instead.
It's just how it is now, the UFC very rarely gave these opportunities back then but now they hand out double champ opportunities like candy. And it's extremely rewarding if you actually win, most Champs I think would take the chance, it's a win win.

Well. He does actually have a title defense.

I agree with your overall point but still, he did defend.
Thanks, don't remember that.​

Absolutely HATE Champs keeping a belt while fishing in other waters.

BJ Penn, but he was another one of Dana's favorites. Conor reignited it, after they told Also no.

BJ was a killer who earned it. Conor was great, but he never defended the belt he won, but getting his big money fight with Eddie is understood. Aldo was SO deserving after laying waste to his division, and not getting a rematch with Conor was really sad for Aldo, such a warrior.

Last edited:
If Leon did claim there's no interesting fights for him at WW, then yeah, that's a little stupid when he's not really even a dominant champ. I'm not sure he'd be that heavy of a betting favorite against anybody in the top 10. He's barely the favorite against Colby, would barely be the favorite against Belal, Shavkat would be pretty even odds if he finishes Wonderboy, Islam could move up and be pretty even odds.

I don't even think Leon would get to -250 against bottom top 10 guys. Almost any fight in the top 10 at WW would have closer betting odds than Leon getting a title fight at MW, and at Leon's 3 wins and 1 NC in the last 4 years rate, he has enough even money fights at WW to last him until 2031.

Back