Any Aikido in MMA?

Aïkido is a younger art than judo and, obviously, Japanese jiujitsu. If anything turns out to be useful in aïkido, it's because it was borrowed from those roots. If your goal is to fight, there's zero reason to chose aïkido over them.

I think Aikido could be made effective if it was done by the right fighter, and after they did some tweaking to it.

But Aikido has some major flaws.

1. it's super complicated. that's not something you want in a real fight. you want simple yet effective techniques in a real fight against a live, resisting opponent

2. it could probably be very effective against untrained, drunken fat people who don't know what they're doing and are usually off balance. but against top fighters in the world that know to recoil their strikes, it's gonna be next to impossible to implement.

3. the small joint manipulation parts of it, while probably fairly effective on the street, are illegal in mma

Bottom line, if you dig that sort of style, Judo is a better alternative.

Some wrist locks from Aikido are valid, but just super narrow in their scope of applicability.

Laugh Bros....

But had that showed Ninja Scott Morrison's Prelim UFC 2 fight where he did a standing guillotine into backwards roll into mount in just seconds .....

We would all be doing and praising Ninjitsu. Perception and your gossip is somehow reality right?

Also,

Real Aikido MFers!

also STFU you idiot's that claim wristlocks are small joint manipulation and that's not allowed....

That just means no fingers and toes 3 or under I believe

I’m sure you can snipe a few things from it, but as your base skill nah.

also STFU you idiot's that claim wristlocks are small joint manipulation and that's not allowed....

That just means no fingers and toes 3 or under I believe
I believe you're right. Wrist locks are hard to get because of the gloves not the rules.

HvW6ua.gif

Front-Kick-KO.gif

A Karate guy would call that technique mae geri or in the latter case mae tobi geri but then again Karate probably stole it after Sensei Seagull taught "that kick" to Anderson.

Lol at all the responses in this thread. Most of Aikido isn't applicable to mma.
That being said, I occasionally see a technique applied during a fight. The Machida throw posted earlier is an Aikido technique. Look at a style called Tomiki Aikido if you want to see some sparring.

Aikido is used, it's just that a lot of Aikido throws are the same as Judo throws and people just call them Judo throws, a lot of the unique stuff like throat strikes and wrist/hand manipulation I think is illegal in MMA.

Tomiki Aikido/Shodokan Aikido has randori and competitions with a... "unique" ruleset. In practice it ends up looking a lot like watered-down Judo with no newaza.

Not all bad. These guys clearly have better footwork and balance than the average Joe, so that's something. Trained in this style with resistance, frequent sparring, and competition encouraged I could see a narrow list of viable techniques actually being applied to self-defense and (to a lesser extent) MMA. Especially if the practitioner in question already has a respectable base in a legit grappling art such as Judo, BJJ, wrestling, or Sambo -- or perhaps even a striking art like boxing. The real question is the cost/benefit side of things; is training these relatively low-percentage, niche techniques worth giving up time on the wrestling mat or rolling in BJJ? I guess the answer to that depends on each individual.

Last edited:
There are still people in 2019 thinking that Aikido is anything but bullshit? Wow.

Im pretty sure the small digit manipulation rule means no grabbing and twisting less than three fingers. Fingers being the small digits.

Fights would look terrible if guys were in their using a two-on-one had scenario to grab an opponents finger and break it.

Wrist locks are certainly allowed in MMA, but the standing wrist locks of Aikido clearly dont work against trained fighters.

Its also important to note that whenever you see an Aikido demonstration, the students typically goes along WWE style with what the demonstrator is doing.

I haven't seen an Aikido demonstration where the demonstrator does not have an accommodating partner.

Really enjoyed Segal's movies as a kid. A few years ago (mid twenties) , I stopped by an Aikido place just out of curiosity to see what it was like.

Yeah, complete bullshit, I'll stick with boxing.

It's all just for Demo. When something is dubbed as a "Peaceful" MA, that should tell you all you need to know about how effective it'd be in a cage against someone essentially trying to kill you.

It's all just for Demo. When something is dubbed as a "Peaceful" MA, that should tell you all you need to know about how effective it'd be in a cage against someone essentially trying to kill you.

BJJ is known as "the gentle art." And we've seen how much damage THAT can do.

And I'll direct you to my post itt, #115, where Aoki snaps a dude's arm in mma using an Aikido technique. Evidently it CAN be effective.

That's what I was saying earlier itt. I think it all depends on the mindset of the fighter using it, how long they've been using it, and how well they tweak it towards mma style competition. And on the streets I suspect if you're pretty good at it, Aikido probably works really well with the small joint manipulation stuff.

That being said, I'd still choose boxing or wrestling over it, for a fighting base. And kickboxing, BJJ, Judo and Muay Thai, of course. Even traditional karate or tae kwon do.
But remember when traditional karate and tae kwon do were laughed at by the mma community? But that stuff was proven to work, when done by the right practitioners. And I think Aikido could as well. It would just take the right fighter with the right mindset, after having done the right calibrations to the art.

Last edited:
BJJ is known as "the gentle art." And we've seen how much damage THAT can do.

And I'll direct you to my post itt, #115, where Aoki snaps a dude's arm in mma using an Aikido technique. Evidently it CAN be effective.

That's what I was saying earlier itt. I think it all depends on the mindset of the fighter using it, how long they've been using it, and how well they tweak it towards mma style competition.

Ok, but Aikido and BJJs proven effectiveness in MMA can't be compared.

One instance of it in MMA doesn't make it effective.

Back