Any Choi fans in here?

Sano

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Really looking forward to his comeback fight tonight. I have this feeling that he will still have the same weaknesses that was highlighted against Cub, but I'm hoping that he has improved.

Coming up he looked like a very promising prospect. I remember talks about him vs Mcgregor when they were both rising up the ranks. Anyway, his right hand is a thing of beauty, and when he's fresh it's devastating.

How do you guys see the fight playing out against Stephens? Which flaws in his game did you feel was exposed against Cub? What do you feel like he needs to improve to win against Stephens?

Don't have any opinions on the fight, but I always get excited when I remember he's in the UFC. Very fun to watch and root for.

Don't have any opinions on the fight, but I always get excited when I remember he's in the UFC. Very fun to watch and root for.
Yeah he is. He's a straight up savage.

I think what he Cub fight showed was that even though he has a beautiful counter right as well (one of his many right hand variations), he can't fight going backwards. He doesn't take angles and his head is always there to be hit. He was very vulnerable to the overhands and he didn't adjust well. Also, it seems like as he got tired, his power and accuracy went out the window for the most part, and that he's a brawler at heart. Makes sense after getting tagged though. Most importantly, he was VERY predictive with the right. He needs not depend on it so much and set it up better.

He also showed tremendous heart and an iron chin, so there's that.

I hope he has improved his defense (I doubt his head movement, but likely his distancing and angles) a bit and that he carries his power through the fight better, while not head hunting with the right if it isn't presented to him.

Go Choi!

I am a big fan and think this should be a showcase. Granted, Stephens is a savvy vet and has the benefit of having seen Swanson expose some weaknesses, but let's be real- Stephens ain't Cub. Even if Cub looked a bit sloppy at times when he was getting the better of Choi, he was doing it with a slickness that I've never seen from Stephens, and a think a guy who just wings shit, albeit well, is a pretty good target for a guy like Choi who throws nice straight punches with good power and variation.

I am a big fan and think this should be a showcase. Granted, Stephens is a savvy vet and has the benefit of having seen Swanson expose some weaknesses, but let's be real- Stephens ain't Cub. Even if Cub looked a bit sloppy at times when he was getting the better of Choi, he was doing it with a slickness that I've never seen from Stephens, and a think a guy who just wings shit, albeit well, is a pretty good target for a guy like Choi who throws nice straight punches with good power and variation.
I'm not so sure, but I hope you're right. Stephens might not be Cub, but he has a vast experience advantage over Choi, he hits HARD and he looked like an improved fighter in his last fight against Melendez. He's also only been stopped once in 40 fights and he's fought some of the best there is.

Sure he has losses, but he's only lost against top guys, and he has wins over RDA, Barao, Melendez, Bermudez, Elkins and Stout. He's always been an underachiever, so him looking as good as he did last fight has me worried. This is not an easy fight for Choi on paper.

I'm not so sure, but I hope you're right. Stephens might not be Cub, but he has a vast experience advantage over Choi, he hits HARD and he looked like an improved fighter in his last fight against Melendez. He's also only been stopped once in 40 fights and he's fought some of the best there is.

Sure he has losses, but he's only lost against top guys, and he has wins over RDA, Barao, Melendez, Bermudez, Elkins and Stout. He's always been an underachiever, so him looking as good as he did last fight has me worried. This is not an easy fight for Choi on paper.
If anything I think Stephens is an overachiever. Dude does not have a lot of athletic talent and TBH not a lot of knockouts vs good opponents. I didn't see the Melendez fight but people are saying Gil looks done.

not that I'm an expert but he seems to keep his head straight up and in the center. if he learned not to do that, he could be alot less prone to being hit.

Last edited:
Yeah I like his fights. He just bangs!

Well I look stoopid

not that I'm an expert but he seems to keep his head straight up and in the center. if he learned not to do that, he could be alot less prone to being hit.
All Sherdoggers are experts

I would suggest there are similarities between tonight's fight and next week's fight. Power will be different though.

Pretty much went as I thought. Choi looked a little better in the beginning, using the rear leg kick to set up the rear hand and going for uppercuts made sense, it just didn't work out. He still has all the same bad habits that he did before.

Oh well, it's too bad. Choi has flashes of brilliance but when it comes down to it he's a limited fighter. Stephens is no joke though.

Fan of his fights but ufc has fed him 2 guys hes not at all ready for.... you don't matchup young prospects with weathered vets like stephens

He needs to train in usa

Back