Any Israelis or people who have been to Israel ( tourism question)

NinjaSpider

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
So I want to spend a week in Israel as a history buff more than a religions pilgrimage . Any thoughts on where to stay or what to do ? Im thinking staying in Tel Aviv and do the day-tours to Jerusalem , Dead Sea and Masada from there . First i thought about staying in Jerusalem but its 1 hour from the airport and hotels with pools in the centre of Jerusalem are crazy expensive.
All of this depends on what cabs costs as well.

Will be grateful for any insight or advice

1200px-Israel-2013-Aerial_21-Masada.jpg

I spent a week in Tel Aviv for a wedding. Did the Old City in Jerusalem in a day, also spent a day in Jaffa. Both definitely worth the visit, but not sure either is requires a multiday affair. Tel Aviv has cool cafes and an art museum and feels kind of European (I've never been to Europe but that was the vibe I got). I hear visiting Petra is a great experience but I passed on it cuz of my job at the time.

Also if you're flying the national carrier, be prepared to get grilled by airline staff.

I spent a week in Tel Aviv for a wedding. Did the Old City in Jerusalem in a day, also spent a day in Jaffa. Both definitely worth the visit, but not sure either is requires a multiday affair. Tel Aviv has cool cafes and an art museum and feels kind of European (I've never been to Europe but that was the vibe I got). I hear visiting Petra is a great experience but I passed on it cuz of my job at the time.

Also if you're flying the national carrier, be prepared to get grilled by airline staff.

Im from Norway so I have no idea what sort of grilling they put me under but ill live. How long did the Petra tour last ? Was the Jerusalem tour worth it ?

Spent a week in Tel Aviv. Do the sunrise Masada tour... worth it.
Do the food tour in Tel Aviv.
I did old city Jerusalem and Via Dolorosa tours.
I personally wasn't impressed with the Israeli side of the Dead Sea. I thought the Jordanian side was better.

Spent a week in Tel Aviv. Do the sunrise Masada tour... worth it.
Do the food tour in Tel Aviv.
I did old city Jerusalem and Via Dolorosa tours.
I personally wasn't impressed with the Israeli side of the Dead Sea. I thought the Jordanian side was better.

Thanks

Im from Norway so I have no idea what sort of grilling they put me under but ill live. How long did the Petra tour last ? Was the Jerusalem tour worth it ?
I'm from the US but also worked in journalism at the time. Hence the grilling and extra luggage searches (both to enter and leave the country) since I flew their national carrier. Also why I skipped Petra, but like I said, heard it's worth it.

Jerusalem tour was worth it for me, lots of history, cool vendors, and even if you aren't religious, it's worth seeing one of the most important religious sites in the world. Although the tour is partly dependent on how good your guide is I suppose.

Shucks I can’t go to Mexico for vacation anymore, guess I’ll go to the Middle East…

Shucks I can’t go to Mexico for vacation anymore, guess I’ll go to the Middle East…

I actually looked into going to Iraq becouse all the ancient Mesopotamian ruins are there ( Ur, Babylon , Ninive etc. ) ,but I could only find anecdotal info on safety

I actually looked into going to Iraq becouse all the ancient Mesopotamian ruins are there ( Ur, Babylon , Ninive etc. ) ,but I could only find anecdotal info on safety

big history buff over here to my man, my major actually.

I would love to visit the places you mentioned but personally, I would let those hot spots cool down a few years before heading on over with my big foreign goofy grin.

A friend just did the trip, so safe enough for certain regions if you are in a group and don't do anything too dumb. But that's probably worth a separate trip, if for any reason to avoid airport complications (don't get your passport stamped if you're going to).

Expect not much to happen on Friday night to Saturday night if you aren't in tel Aviv.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicenhot
Back