any new developments regarding your training

devante

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
title says it all; are there or have there been any new developments in your training, switching gyms..new sparring partners...learning a new style..mixing a new style with your old one...maybe going back to your roots in a style you left..working on a particular aspect of striking or just recent sparring experiences (in a particular style or against a diff style).

anyone got any new developments

Really trying to learn to fight Muay Thai out of a more defensive-minded stance. Right now I'm focusing like hell on my teep, jab, and my left body kick, all of which I intend to use to keep my opponents at bay and maximize the benefits of my old-school boxer-esque stance.

Really trying to learn to fight Muay Thai out of a more defensive-minded stance. Right now I'm focusing like hell on my teep, jab, and my left body kick, all of which I intend to use to keep my opponents at bay and maximize the benefits of my old-school boxer-esque stance.

sometimes i read your post and think i am reading my own, lol.

i been working on expaning my punch selection; i am usually more of a straight punch/potshot guy, been trying to implement the hook (variations of it namely the whipping hook).

also been making it a point to actively work kicks more consistently, instead of focusing on the hands so much.

that and opening up my off when i switch southpaw, i used to just jab-1/2; now i throw the lead leg kick to the leg, body and the rear leg to the body.

last thing-not admiring my work when i slip/parry a shot; an the same when i land potshots/etc.

Getting older and slower.

But that's not really a new development, it's something I've been working on for a couple of years. :)

Working on pushing off my rear foot more when I move in to throw a punch, always knew to do it but every once and awhile u need to remind yourself and focus on the basics.

Have a full rules tournament coming up in July so I've been doing a lot of pad work with punches and elbow only, 5 rounds 3 times a week. Also thinking about it alot while shadow boxing and will be sparring with elbow pads in about a week.

Also lately learned the importance of proper rest and not over training. After I lost at the WKA tournament in March, I was really pissed off about it and just wanted to beat someone down in my next fight.(was never so confident going into a tournament before) So I took a fight 4 weeks after the tournament and was doing two work outs a day for three and a half weeks straight with out a day off. Won my fight but did not perform as well compared to my loss.

I used to have a very cautious style and it's costed me in both in offense and defense. Offensively since I've got enough speed and timing to get the initiative, but I'd always just throw one pot shot. That in turn affected defense - if you don't hit people enough to discourage them they'll just bulldoze through you and keep punching. I tried to work a lot on angling out and footwork for defense but really the only way to stop aggressive people is to hit them. So I stopped giving a fuck and just started hitting people, lol.

I learned to keep jabbing whenever I back up, which (haven't trained in half a year) is still a detail I'm working on. It's just so key that you're always looking to get shots in.

Also started to chain counterpunches into combos - didn't know why I didn't do it before, probably because I was just focusing on actually hitting the counter.

Got a lot better at inside fighting with angles too. Figured out that instead of stepping away I could just step around, and spend smaller amounts of energy to still avoid punches. Learned to glue myself to the other guy when on the inside - you want to be able to feel what he's doing. For example if you rest your head on his shoulder, if he goes to throw a big hook over the top you're gonna feel his shoulder drop, and you can duck out of the way just sticking to his shoulder.

Even in MMA you see guys doing that - always gluing their head to the shoulder in order to sense elbows, level changes, etc.

Little things like that. I mean after a certain point, getting better is all about the little things...

O another revelation I had is that if you have good evasive defense, like you already use a lot of head movement and timing to defend punches - you can use that to purposely get hit and land a BETTER shot.

There are TONS of opportunities to do that. Probably the most famous one is rolling with a hook and landing a power hook over it. I have to admit that takes crazy balls and timing.

Rolling on a straight right (which eventually just becomes a shoulder roll) and throwing a counter right uppercut is another good one.

Yet another good one is if you know you're at the end of the guy's jab you can shuffle forward and get touched by his glove, but then be in position to clock him hard (this is Mark Hunt's favorite right hand counter)

1) Being busier on the outside to make my counters less predictable and more versatile
2) Always working on twitching the legs faster
3) Working on my kicks again after a long time recovering from a groin injury.

been practicing boxing alot more. Working on slipping and just overall hand defense. Because my striking wasnt very good and i would drop my hands a little. Plus been working on doing sudden burst combinations. Where in sparring I would suddenly do quick combo's and working my jab more too

I have a new training buddy. A co-worker of mine signed up at my gym and he's eager to learn and knows only the basics. He's been coming to the gym with my after we get off work and I've been helping him develop his standup and ground techniques.

It helps me out too because it's forcing me to pay more attention to the little things so that I know I'm not passing on bad technique. Also I'm able to work drills that require a partner. I don't get off work til midnight or one so finding someone else at the gym to practice with is rare.

I've been teaching him proper stance and form for various punches and kicks. I'm also showing him some of my favorite combinations and trying to help him string together techniques. We've been holding mits for each other which has been nice.

We've been working on takedowns a lot lately too, which is good since I've got decent standup and jui jitsu but my takedowns suck. We've been drilling techniques from Randy Couture's book, "Wrestling for Fighting". Specifically the mule kick to ankle pick, the slide by, the arm drag, and the basic double leg.

Still correcting balance issues. This has never stopped since i started training. Don't think it will anytime soon.

lol Howd you get the dubs devante?

Still correcting balance issues. This has never stopped since i started training. Don't think it will anytime soon.

Perhaps your stance is a little jacked. What kind of balance issues are you having?

Perhaps your stance is a little jacked. What kind of balance issues are you having?

Plenty of them. Mostly its the constantly leaning and smothering myself that i find trouble me the most. I just need to start moving in off the back foot, and stabilizing myself a bit better with my jab, before unloading. I mentioned in another thread, i take huge rushed and hurried steps, almost hopping, while advancing on my opponent, instead of small, steady balanced steps behind a jab.

Plenty of them. Mostly its the constantly leaning and smothering myself that i find trouble me the most. I just need to start moving in off the back foot, and stabilizing myself a bit better with my jab, before unloading. I mentioned in another thread, i take huge rushed and hurried steps, almost hopping, while advancing on my opponent, instead of small, steady balanced steps behind a jab.

I used to have huge balance issues because I was way too front heavy. Sometimes guys would turn me when I'm on the offensive and I would stumble forward into the ropes. I would also wouldn't be able to get off on my punches as well because I would end up smothering myself into my opponent. Not sure if this is your problem, but mine was pretty easily corrected when my trainer told me to keep my lead foot flat when throwing. Of course I also keep in mind to distribute my weight evenly.

i made a thread based on a conversation i had w/some friends/coworkers, and made the mistake of thinking guys in/on sherdog could read and respond w/out resorting to sexist-insulting or racist comments.

I've been trying to work on putting more angles into my MT in combination with my boxing combos. So getting better angles for kicks and knees to follow up and to start the next attack. I like movement because of my boxing past so I figure why not make the most of it? My coach is always telling me to slow down and not move around so much.

Just invented a little technique (sure somebody else has done it in the history of combat sports!) which I'm working into my game. I always found throwing the lead hook to lead uppercut was a nice combo as they are always open but it always felt awkward to throw and lacking in power but the fact that it was unexpected meant that I could get a good effect for moderate power. However, I had a eureka moment, tried something and it worked well.

Basically I throw the lead hook, and while my weight is still on my back foot I do a quick and short switch step. Now my lead foot is slightly behind my rear foot and my body is torqued and my uppercut is loaded. Plus I have a better angle to throw the uppercut right up the middle between my opponents guard. If I want I can exaggerate the lateral motion and move right over to the other side which further befuddles the opponent and sets up further attacks by creating a new angle.

Trying to box with really good leg kickers is interesting, and painful.

Been working on my inside game and rolling shots. Since I can't sit back and counter from the outside like I want. I'll eventually be able to stand in the pocket and counter.

title says it all; are there or have there been any new developments in your training, switching gyms..new sparring partners...learning a new style..mixing a new style with your old one...maybe going back to your roots in a style you left..working on a particular aspect of striking or just recent sparring experiences (in a particular style or against a diff style).

anyone got any new developments

I do! It's abouts week old, 7 lb 14 oz and is Sleeping in my arms right now. Sorta cuts into my training time...

Back