Any new ZMA studies out

Canecorsos

Red Belt
Reaction score
Anything new studies out that supports all the claims they make about ZMA?

Last edited:
ZMA isn't magic.

The zinc can help with testosterone preservation while the magnesium can help with relaxation. The combined effect of preserving free test with deeper sleep can be PROFOUND with some people.

If you get good sleep, and eat your greens ZMA will be a waste. I've looked high and low looking for neutral studies supporting Conte's claims and have yet to find anything that supports that level of outrageous.

zma is one of few supps that I would endorse. That is saying a lot. Plus the dreams it gives you are epic.

Never got anything from ZMA, even when I was getting it for free. Plus, I will always be pissed about Conte's claims back in the day about the "superiority" of his product because of the force that the zinc was compressed with. What a moron.

ZMA isn't magic.

The zinc can help with testosterone preservation while the magnesium can help with relaxation. The combined effect of preserving free test with deeper sleep can be PROFOUND with some people.

If you get good sleep, and eat your greens ZMA will be a waste. I've looked high and low looking for neutral studies supporting Conte's claims and have yet to find anything that supports that level of outrageous.

How long after you take ZMA do you have to wait to drink a protein shake?

I agree, it isn't magic, but it's extremely useful, if not essential--IMO.

The story behind ZMA isn't as transparent as some would think. It, by far, is one of the top supplements I recommend to all athletes and non-athletes alike that I do nutritional counseling for.

It was initially pitched as a "testosterone" supplement based on a very poorly conducted study on football players. Numerous studies thereafter failed to find any massive benefit---at least a quantifiable one.

The reason it IS useful it multiple-fold: Our diets are (generally speaking) devoid of any decent amounts of either magnesium or zinc. As athletes, we end up utilizing AND excreting what we have to a much larger degree than sedentary folks. Poliquin states that nearly every single athlete that he sees is deficient, and the zinc tally test is a done as a standard baseline.

Another reason for supplementation is that recovery cannot be overrated---training gains are based on consecutive training days, and if you are trashed from the previous day because your recovery sucks, well, so does your training, and so do your gains. Sleep is the key for optimal recovery, and there is no better supplement than ZMA for sleep. It's not just the deep tendon muscle relaxing effects of Mg; zinc enhances REM sleep, and B6 is essential in the conversion of 5-HTP to serotonin (5-HT).

To answer the OP's question: Nope, haven't seen anything new on ZMA, and we probably won't. Recovery is damn hard to quantify, but talk to any athlete that trains at high intensity on a regular basis that uses ZMA, and they'll more than likely put it as their top supplement.

ZMA isn't magic.

You back for awhile Mike or are you just stopping by?

Can you take a Whey protein Shake mixed with Almond Milk about 30 minutes after taking the ZMA?

You back for awhile Mike or are you just stopping by?

Well, I'd be a liar if I said I'd be here on a regular basis, but I always seem to be drawn back.

I actually do regulalrly pop on to dig up studies that have been posted...you know, those ones your can't exactly remember the title, but you have a foggy date in mind. Helluva lot quicker than digging through PubMed.

I was just thinking about buying it, but i already have the most fucked up dreams and sleep very well lol, donno what to do.

i'd eyeballed this
i just fear of the vita-creep
where a year ago i was just taking a Centrum multi

now i'm taking like 11-14 pills and tablets per day...
Mike pitches it well

why what?
the vitacreep fear?

not sure, i just came in with a preconceived notion that you should be able to get what you need through your diet and vitamins in this quantity just seems so far from natural/diet

perhaps superstition though

I think he meant: why are you taking 11-14 pills daily? And why aren't you getting ample nutrients from your diet?

Universal Animal Packs have 11 pills per pack
The Fish Liver Oil is 2 pills a day (though I tend to only do one now that I'm also doing the pack)

I'm dieting and working out quite a bit, I want to make sure that I don't neglect any vitamins/minerals

sorta like why anyone would take MVs, I suppose

How long after you take ZMA do you have to wait to drink a protein shake?

I'm not too keen on that. Depends on the protein I guess. Since Calcium and Zinc don't play nice with each other in terms of absorption, you'd probably want to steer away from ZMA or protein if using one or the other.

You're supposed to take ZMA 30 minutes before bed correct? is it supposed to be on an empty stomach?

You're supposed to take ZMA 30 minutes before bed correct? is it supposed to be on an empty stomach?

Per the directions, 30-60 minutes prior to bed on an empty stomach. I sleep like a baby and wake up feeling well rested. I've had problems sleeping in the past.

Also, I find if I can't get a full 8 hours when taking ZMA, getting up in the moring is a bitch!

I think you are right. I Take ZMA before bed every night but unfortunately my daughter has been waking me up at 5:45-6:30 every morning. I've been in terrible mental pain waking up lol.

I had one good nights rest last week and I woke up feeling amazing. Need to start giving her a ZMA pill before her bed too.... lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Epsteins Guard
Back