Any shmup fans here?

Satsui Ryu

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Back in the day I used to hate this genre. First exposure to it was games like R-Type and 1943 which besides being hard as balls came off as kind of bland and not worth it. Watching retro game videos on YouTube recently peaked my curiosity and now it has become my absolute favorite genre. Games like the Star Soldier series, Aleste series, and Battle Garegga games have got me hooked. Anybody else got love for this genre?

Played the shit out of Lightening (that's how it was spelled) Force on Genesis and strangely one of the games that made me want a PS1 was Raystorm.

Forgot Battle Squadron on Genesis, R Type 1+2 on PS1 (no slowdown to save you like on SNES) and R Type DX on GBC.

Played the shit out of Lightening (that's how it was spelled) Force on Genesis and strangely one of the games that made me want a PS1 was Raystorm.
Played Thunder Force 3 up to about the last level where it proceeded to kick my ass. Lightening Force toik the challenge up to 11.

I never got into Einhander though for some reason.

Love it, I can spend hours playing them.

My nemesis is Ikaruga, I've bought it a bunch of times and I can't finish it

I never got into Einhander though for some reason.

i loved that game.

mostly because i sold it on ebay for a retarded amount of $, but it was a pretty good game that 11 people heard of.

i used to play this genre a lot back in the nes-ps1 days, but haven't played any in a long time... that i can recall, at least. possibly because isaac/gungeon/etc are bullet hell enough and filled that niche for me (but i don't think of even gungeon as a shoot 'em up, despite it possibly being the most shoot 'em up game ever. rogue-like power, i guess)

Love shooters of all types, especially twin stick shooters. That new-ish Darius Burst on PS4 is awesome. Tend to stay away from bullet hell ones, and vertical shooters though. Not the greatest at finding where my hit box is, so they are a tough one to crack. Like the pace of horizontal much better.

Love it, I can spend hours playing them.

My nemesis is Ikaruga, I've bought it a bunch of times and I can't finish it
Geez I hope you were not buying physical copies. That game is expensive af considering it is on PSN for $9.99.

Love shooters of all types, especially twin stick shooters. That new-ish Darius Burst on PS4 is awesome. Tend to stay away from bullet hell ones, and vertical shooters though. Not the greatest at finding where my hit box is, so they are a tough one to crack. Like the pace of horizontal much better.
I'm the opposite. I like horizontal less since most of them have you contending with the environment which frustrates the hell out of me and your base weapons in these games are usually completely useless to the point of dying in later levels basically means you are screwed. Been getting more into bullet hell, but yeah contending with the wonky hit boxes is a challenge. Being that it is usually way smaller than the sprite you never really know where it is. But some games like Crimzon Clover are just getting ridiculous with how much they put on screen.

Geez I hope you were not buying physical copies. That game is expensive af considering it is on PSN for $9.99.

I'm the opposite. I like horizontal less since most of them have you contending with the environment which frustrates the hell out of me and your base weapons in these games are usually completely useless to the point of dying in later levels basically means you are screwed. Been getting more into bullet hell, but yeah contending with the wonky hit boxes is a challenge. Being that it is usually way smaller than the sprite you never really know where it is. But some games like Crimzon Clover are just getting ridiculous with how much they put on screen.
Yeah I feel you. I think horizontal shooters are more like puzzles, which I love, and vertical more about reflexes and good eyes. Lacking in both those areas, unfortunately

I used to like them a lot back in the day when things were simpler, and it was just another arcade-like genre like 80% of all games were. Not my biggest go to retro genre today, though. They're always insanely difficult to an absurd "Japanese savant" degree, and I get bored of them/tap out pretty quickly.

I got the Psikyo collection for switch recently.. and Ikaruga. There's nothing I focus on harder than a good shmup. I was also playing Thunder Force II on Genesis the other day. Such a good game.

I upgraded the buttons and stick on a Neo Geo Arcade stick pro and have playing shmups with it is amazing. Super satisfying.

Steam, ps, switch, can't beat it, but I keep buying it.

It rocks on switch because you can use the console vertically

I used to like them a lot back in the day when things were simpler, and it was just another arcade-like genre like 80% of all games were. Not my biggest go to retro genre today, though. They're always insanely difficult to an absurd "Japanese savant" degree, and I get bored of them/tap out pretty quickly.
Difficulty definitely is a barrier to entry. Being a niche arcade genre at least in the US and not having the benefit of competitive play meant they just had to suck a lot of quarters out of fewer people.

I got the Psikyo collection for switch recently.. and Ikaruga. There's nothing I focus on harder than a good shmup. I was also playing Thunder Force II on Genesis the other day. Such a good game.

I upgraded the buttons and stick on a Neo Geo Arcade stick pro and have playing shmups with it is amazing. Super satisfying.
I play mainly on a Rasperry Pi with a cheap Mayflash stick and playing arcade style makes it that much more fun. But I really need to get a Sanwa lever cuz the clicking on mine is obnoxious and I am afraid it will wake up my kids.

I mostly enjoy vertical shooters with 2D graphics, if the ship is a 3D model I have a harder time determening and getting a feel for the ships hitbox, probably just the outline of ship and bullets that are more distinct when it's sprite based.

And now that I'm thinking about it I don't think I've ever beaten a single horizontally scrolling shooter in my life. Probably should do that, at least one.

They are comfort food for when you just want to destroy some things and play a quick game, same with beat 'em ups and platformers for me.
When I was little I used to design shoot 'em up ships and their special weapons, I think I still have my old sketches somewhere. The more powerups in the game the better.

My early exposure to the genre was also R-type and 1942/3 but i love those games, also some other nes/snes shmups but the one i probably played the most as a youth was UN Squadron, the elements of buying planes and weapons and different starting characters and the soundtrack plus the perception of multiple paths made this one of my all time fav's...

My early exposure to the genre was also R-type and 1942/3 but i love those games, also some other nes/snes shmups but the one i probably played the most as a youth was UN Squadron, the elements of buying planes and weapons and different starting characters and the soundtrack plus the perception of multiple paths made this one of my all time fav's...
Yeah, love this game. I need to YouTube how to beat the tunnel ship without upward firing weapons

Back