Anybody ever had a fruit fly infestation?

CrimsonFan

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I left town for a few weeks and my apartment is just infested with these tiny fruit flies. I've tried traps and bug spray, they just migrate to different areas of the apartment.

There's hundreds of them, it's gross and annoying. how the fuck do I get rid of these assholes

Clean up. All the bullshit tricks & remedies don't work. Just keep your place super clean and don't leave food or drink out, anywhere, and they will disappear within a week.

Should have made sure it was clean before you left.

But like the Poster above said - clean it up and give it a few days.

On a side not - fucking winter and now bugs are trying to find their way in to homes.

gremlins-peltzer-inventions-ultimate-fly-swatter.gif

Fill the apartment with swats.

gremlins-peltzer-inventions-ultimate-fly-swatter.gif

Fill the apartment with swats.
Trust me I am.

I'm also in the process of evicting a messy roommate. I quit cleaning up after him and he's supposed to move out on the first.. so I guess I'll just crash at a friend's place until he leaves and just clean the fuck out of this place. Fuck it sucks coming home to this

Just make friends with them and then try to establish some boundaries.

clean everything.
Large bowl with wine and enough soap for them to get stuck in. Make sure none of the wine gets on the side of the bowls. Some folks do this but then put plastic wrap over it with some holes to help capture.

Never had an infestation, but before law school I was working towards a Masters of Science in molecular genetics, and the lab I was in used drosophila as our model organism, so I’m very familiar with them.

The most important step is cleaning out everything, so you don’t get more. You need to dispose of all exposed food entirely, any open packages in your cupboards and empty all your garbages. If you’re going to buy more fruit or whatever, store it in the fridge for the time being.

Once it’s all gone you can try using fly tape, putting it around your place in high places. It should capture any fly that tries to come into contact with it.

The life cycle of a drosophila is about 2-3 weeks, so you should keep all this up for at least that amount of time until you don’t see them anymore.

Good luck.

Trust me I am.

I'm also in the process of evicting a messy roommate. I quit cleaning up after him and he's supposed to move out on the first.. so I guess I'll just crash at a friend's place until he leaves and just clean the fuck out of this place. Fuck it sucks coming home to this
So he was just living there, wallowing amongst the flies?

So he was just living there, wallowing amongst the flies?
I guess so. I was hoping he would be gone by the time I came back.. he still owes me money from last month and if I didn't get out of here I was likely to assault him.

Now I'm even more pissed.

I guess so. I was hoping he would be gone by the time I came back.. he still owes me money from last month and if I didn't get out of here I was likely to assault him.

Now I'm even more pissed.
Be careful bro...I got a bad feeling about this guy.

giphy.gif

We had guys at work that were too lazy to take their food garbage out of the break room to the outdoor garbage. I've used all three of the items below to get rid of them.

hot-shot-home-perimeter-insect-control-hg-4470-7-64_1000.jpg

dynatrap-infographic-574x487.jpg

16a446a9-e36e-43ed-bf23-a51332504834.jpg._CB330212260_.jpg

Clean up. All the bullshit tricks & remedies don't work. Just keep your place super clean and don't leave food or drink out, anywhere, and they will disappear within a week.
This. I dated a hood rat who never cleaned after herself and the place was flies, ants, garbage. Her one kid are shit out of garbage bags (he was autistic).

Fucking disgusting. Clean your shit.

a buddy of mine did once at his place.

he had those sticky fly traps hanging everywhere that literally caught hundreds & hundreds each. then one of my buddies got up & walked straight into one. a fly strap with hundreds of those fuckers, sticking perfectly as it wrapped around his face & entire head hahaha

1. Toss out any overripe fuit. Then, pour a cup of apple cider vinegar into a jar or small bowl.

2. Add a couple drops of dish soap to the jar.

3. Place the trap in the area where you've seen the fruit flies, and wait for it to do its job.

Why This Works:
Fruit flies are attracted to the smell of the vinegar, and will attempt to land on its surface. However, they're in for a surprise – since the dish soap breaks the surface tension of the vinegar, the fruit flies fall in and drown. Say good-bye to that annoying swarm!

image.jpghire this lady, guaranteed to work or your flys back.

I used apple cider vinegar and it worked awesome!

Get a 20oz bottle and put a small hole in the cap for them to get into. Fill it up maybe 1/4 way of Apple cider vinegar with a few drops of dish soap. Before you know it the bottle will be filled with dead fruit flies.

1. Toss out any overripe fuit. Then, pour a cup of apple cider vinegar into a jar or small bowl.

2. Add a couple drops of dish soap to the jar.

3. Place the trap in the area where you've seen the fruit flies, and wait for it to do its job.

Why This Works:
Fruit flies are attracted to the smell of the vinegar, and will attempt to land on its surface. However, they're in for a surprise – since the dish soap breaks the surface tension of the vinegar, the fruit flies fall in and drown. Say good-bye to that annoying swarm!

This

Those apple cider vinegar traps work amazingly well. The ones I make have saran wrap over the jar (held on with a rubber band) with small holes poked in it. so the flies can climb down into the chamber below but they cannot fly back up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back