Anyone ever see someone kicked out for being TS ? Worried about starting training as a MTF …..

DeezNutz33

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I’ve wanted to do this for awhile but due to working a trade job w night classes and lifting after work I always put it off like a lazy bitch and never did. Part of it was a slight intimidation thing too (I don’t want to train just grappling but Muay Thai for striking as well) but now that im not gonna put it off anymore I have a legitimate concern , I’ve been transitioning for 9 months.

At this point I just look like a androgynous fem dude but overtime it will become more and more noticeable and I already have small breasts. I think guys at work might be on to me but haven’t said anything because I just shut up and work.

I’m a “classical” or more traditional aka “Transphobic self hating nazi medicalist” type of TS so I’m not the out and proud type nor would I call attention to it. Im not going to go in there looking crazy or “it’s MA’AM”ing people. I just want to train like everyone else.

Im worried that some people will not want to roll with me or that I might eventually be kicked out if I’m ever “found out” and if enough people are uncomfortable. I’m also kinda worried about intentionally being beat on too hard in sparring because of it.

I’m curious if anyone has ever had a trans person at their Gym/Club/Etc and how it turned out ? Was it an issue ?

I’m in the San Diego area so there’s a lot of good gyms I don’t want to miss out on potentially training at if this is going to be a big issue. Thanks.

I mean I think as long as you're open about it people wouldn't care.

Haven't had a trans at my gym but tbh I wouldn't give a shit as long as it isn't a 250lb jacked MtF smashing the women around and taking pride in it.

If they're open about their transition and just want to roll I don't think anyone male or female would care.

Best of luck on your BJJ journey.

Find the right school and it will not be an issue. I'm in NYC and there are schools that welcome anyone with open arms. These schools open advertise this in their marketing materials. Some schools might be less accepting.

I also thought this was being a thread starter at first.

Good luck with the process.

Every gym I've been to has co-ed classes nearly exclusively. Some gyms have started womens-only classes but that's like once a week (vs. 20-25 classes generally).

I really doubt anyone would give a shit unless you do something overtly crazy. That statement is equally true for non-trans people generally doing stupid shit BTW.

The thing with BJJ (and, I think, other combat sports) is that you really have to check your ego @ the door. So, even if another student were to have a problem, its unlikely they'd make an issue out of it and, even if they did, its REALLY unlikely to be taken seriously. Provided, of course, that you yourself aren't an asshole.

I don't think that starting a thread would be a motive to kick you out. I mean all of us do occasionally. I think you ll be fine, TS.

I should’ve spelt out Transsexual. Sorry for any confusion.

The vast majority of us don’t cut up our junk but we have to somehow separate ourselves from the current “activist” movement since Transgender could mean anything and everything now.

First of all, your username is really ironic and funny.

Secondly, *most* combat sports gyms are extremely relaxed and accepting. So like others have said, if you don't make it an issue, it's likely no one else will.

I would guess it really just depends on the culture/type of people at the gym. pretty sure Sherdog mod @TeTe is in San Diego and might know which gyms to avoid or ones to go to...

There are always going to be homophobes. I been around gyms for a long time. The culture used to be really bro toxic but it is changing. If it's a big place that needs to stay open then they will accommodate everyone. People just want to train and it is stupid to gatekeep. I believe if you stick to the training and don't get too involved with the internal gym cliques/politics then you will be totally fine. You should check out the gyms though with trials and see which one is more accommodating.

I believe if you stick to the training and don't get too involved with the internal gym cliques/politics then you will be totally fine. You should check out the gyms though with trials and see which one is more accommodating.

I believe this is generally good advice for folks looking for a gym.

Haha you’ll be fine. Even if they do kick you out or you feel unwelcome, you can always join another gym. Don’t let all these hypotheticals stop you. But I doubt it will even get there in the first place.

I hope I wasn’t the only one who laughed out loud reading
Im not going to go in there looking crazy or “it’s MA’AM”ing people.

The mental image of some muscular trans person walking into a bjj gym and correcting everyone’s pronouns got me cracking up. That GameStop video was crazy

Any decent gym will likely have a culture where the majority of people don't give a shit, classes will usually be mixed and you'll just be another body to grapple with.

Just to say as well if you think all the more experienced coloured belts are a bit stand-off-ish, seem like they don't like you much and don't look keen to train with you you'll be right. It's called being a White Belt and lasts until people know you're in it for the long haul or you quit at Blue Belt :)

Haha you’ll be fine. Even if they do kick you out or you feel unwelcome, you can always join another gym. Don’t let all these hypotheticals stop you. But I doubt it will even get there in the first place.

I hope I wasn’t the only one who laughed out loud reading

The mental image of some muscular trans person walking into a bjj gym and correcting everyone’s pronouns got me cracking up. That GameStop video was crazy

[Huge new white belt muscles in an arm triangle choke and gets a tap]
Training partner: Hey man, nice sub.
Huge new white belt:
it-is-maam-its-maam.gif

In all seriousness, I think you'll be fine TS, especially in California. Most folks don't give a shit and won't draw attention to it if you don't.

Just be upfront about it. Nobody will care.

Also, like someone said earlier, don't compete against actual women. It's massively unfair, and in the context of a combat sport it is dangerous.

I'd also say stay out of the women's changing rooms and toilets, especially if you don't pass and haven't had SRS. People will humour trans-identified people to be nice, PC, and to not hurt your feelings, but if you're getting your junk out in female-only spaces (like Lia Thomas) you're going to make most women very uncomfortable.

Anyway, to reiterate, just go train as nobody will care unless you make it an issue. Be respectful of other people and they will be respectful of you.

Don't train with Roger Gracie.
Why not?

Just be upfront about it. Nobody will care.

Also, like someone said earlier, don't compete against actual women. It's massively unfair, and in the context of a combat sport it is dangerous.

I'd also say stay out of the women's changing rooms and toilets, especially if you don't pass and haven't had SRS. People will humour trans-identified people to be nice, PC, and to not hurt your feelings, but if you're getting your junk out in female-only spaces (like Lia Thomas) you're going to make most women very uncomfortable.

Anyway, to reiterate, just go train as nobody will care unless you make it an issue. Be respectful of other people and they will be respectful of you.

Why not?
We chatted about this in f12 a little while ago - and it upset a couple of little men - but apparently Roger moved away from Brazil because he was attacking some trans women.

We chatted about this in f12 a little while ago - and it upset a couple of little men - but apparently Roger moved away from Brazil because he was attacking some trans women.
Oh, that's not the story I heard. I heard he was shooting paintballs at hookers and got threatened with a gun by their pimp, haha.

Back