Anyone have experience with boxing or fencing?

RabbitPunch36

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I am going to take up fencing at my college for fun and maybe improve my footwork in boxing. My question is as a orthodox boxer would it be more benificial to fence as a left hander to improve my jab for boxing and orthodox footwork , or as a right hander to maybe learn footwork as southpaw and be a switch stance boxer like hagler, hamed , and herol graham. Just to clarify to anyone stances are inverted when comparing boxers to fencers (e.g. right handed boxer front foot is left and right handed fencer right foot forward and vice versa for left handed stance). Also from a fencing perspective would be rude to ask for coach to teach like a left hander if your actually right handed? Also could the mechanics of thursting in fencing ruin the mechanics of my jab?

Last edited:
I would recommend taking a southpaw stance as it is more in line with the fencing framework, and they intermingle a lot better. Boxing and fencing is 2/3's of JKD, and JKD is pretty fluid when it comes to putting those two together. I've had good experience with these concepts as a fighter.

If anything the mechanics of the fencing thrust would be beneficial to your jab. Fencing is more similar to boxing than you think.

Is it possible to "just bang" in fencing?

I am going to take up fencing at my college for fun and maybe improve my footwork in boxing. My question is as a orthodox boxer would it be more benificial to fence as a left hander to improve my jab for boxing and orthodox footwork , or as a right hander to maybe learn footwork as southpaw and be a switch stance boxer like hagler, hamed , and herol graham. Just to clarify to anyone stances are inverted when comparing boxers to fencers (e.g. right handed boxer front foot is left and right handed fencer right foot forward and vice versa for left handed stance). Also from a fencing perspective would be rude to ask for coach to teach like a left hander if your actually right handed? Also could the mechanics of thursting in fencing ruin the mechanics of my jab?

Heres what I know about fencing:

I wanted to do it as a kid, never did, but with I would have for its benefits of footwork and the mental aspect of fighting, meaning all the concepts are the same, but your attacking with a different weapon.

bruce lee did it (i think)

I met a girl that used to compete in fencing, she was high level, I asked her to show me some footwork, its not going to perfectly transition into "boxing" but I can totally see how it would help.

I would say learn southpaw

You already know orthodox, by doing fencing southpaw, you will learn the southpaw footwork and movement. Using your weapons from a southpaw stance isnt very hard, the hard part is the footwork. Thats why I say learn southpaw, after a while you will become comfortable with southpaw footwork and it should help you transition into being able to box southpaw as well. Which IMO is huge, fighting both stances opens up a ton of angles etc etc.

If anything the mechanics of the fencing thrust would be beneficial to your jab. Fencing is more similar to boxing than you think.
If it can improve my jab would it not be more benificial to have that advantage on the side I will fight out of more often?

If nothing else, I'm sure it would help a TKD guy in his one step sparring.

I know absolutely nothing about fencing, but I've always had a hunch it's connection to pugilism was massively, massively overrated (largely because Bruce Lee mentioned it and he liked to make connections in things). I'll be interested to hear your thoughts after you take some fencing classes.

man reading this threads got me very interested in learning fencing not just for boxing but for wrestling too gsp credits his karate background for his explosive dart in for his takedowns

I know absolutely nothing about fencing, but I've always had a hunch it's connection to pugilism was massively, massively overrated (largely because Bruce Lee mentioned it and he liked to make connections in things). I'll be interested to hear your thoughts after you take some fencing classes.
Honestly I have only been boxing for a couple of months so my opinion might not be that nuanced or deep , but I intend for boxing to take preference over other sports. I have read some things by sinister and the guy from heavy hands podcast (conor) relating fencing to boxing but I don't know how much weight that carries.

Honestly I have only been boxing for a couple of months so my opinion might not be that nuanced or deep , but I intend for boxing to take preference over other sports. I have read some things by sinister and the guy from heavy hands podcast (conor) relating fencing to boxing but I don't know how much weight that carries.

I'm sure there's something to be learned from it, I just question whether it's better than something like TKD, which has the exact same type of footwork but directly translates to hitting things with your body. Or just using the fencing time to practice boxing more. Again, I've never taken fencing so maybe it's magically effective for training boxers.

i noticed they only move back and forth no side to side movement sin fencing from the vids iv seen i could see how it could def help a boxer even more so a mma fighter shooting for a double

only thing i dont like is how much space there is they are about 5 feet apart due to length of the sword i wish it was with 2 foot long swords so could be closer

Is it possible to "just bang" in fencing?
giphy.gif

Now I'm looking at fencing gifs. Looks pretty baller, actually
giphy.gif

giphy-downsized-large.gif

9oPkVqw.gif

ZC43jNs.gif

Now I'm looking at fencing gifs. Looks pretty baller, actually

The one thing that's always bothered me about high level fencing is that both people always die if we use real swords and take off the protective equipment. There's a reason they use mechanical scoring devices rather than the human eye, it's because all men must die.

Ok I lied, the second thing is that you can move the sword literally faster than it's possible for a human to react, so you need a good degree of anticipation and knowledge, which I think is iffy territory for pugilistic arts.

Back