Anyone here into Voice Acting?

SugarKrok

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Seems like it would be fun, while still a challenge. I'd like to get into. The extra money would be a perk, but I'd be willing to volunteer my services starting out.

Anyone here do this or onow someone who does?

Well, I’m sold.
You’re gonna need someone to manage you though. It’s sounds like it would be fun, while still a challenge. I'd like to get into. The extra money would be a perk, but I'd be willing to volunteer (for 500$ a month) my services starting out.

I was just listening to a GI Joe podcast where I think they had the actors who did Flint and Destro on and the Destro actor seemed really full of himself and said he told someone he wouldn't do the voice for one gig a certain way and if they wanted it that way to hire someone else.

Tara Strong anybody?
iu

I did for a couple of years while working in Malaysia but it was more like my boss was a cheapskate who doesn't want to hire back the voice talents from an agency because of costs and their malaysian accent.

One of my friends from grad school used to do it semi professionally. You never would've guessed she can do over 40 voices when you hear her normal voice. She's got an energetic, young sounding voice, and she can go high or really low and deep for a villain voice. It is also a cool party trick.

However, my Arnold impression is still better.

giphy.gif

37e71b56600aa896148d07543ee11595.gif

PjszISc.gif

giphy.gif

it's always been something I wanted to get into. I've always been pretty good at impressions since I was a kid.

I was always a Brian Drummond guy instead of a Sabat guy.

Much cooler voice, in my opinion.

That was my dream job as a kid then I found out how impossibly hard it is to get into. They mostly want recognizable voices, or want to hire from the small circle of people who are already involved.

I encourage you to try tho, cause you never know. Just go into it with eyes open! Lots of shows out there

Its the best segment of the entertainment industry to get into as a performer. Ive thought about it before since my accent game is strong but its also ridiculously cutthroat and requires a shitload of luck and contacts to get into successfully. GL.

Seems like it would be fun, while still a challenge. I'd like to get into. The extra money would be a perk, but I'd be willing to volunteer my services starting out.

Anyone here do this or onow someone who does?
I knew a guy who is voice actor. He said he made BANK. Did it part-time. He seemed to really enjoy it.

I did for a couple of years while working in Malaysia but it was more like my boss was a cheapskate who doesn't want to hire back the voice talents from an agency because of costs and their malaysian accent.

Did you work for a Game Developer in KL?

That was my dream job as a kid then I found out how impossibly hard it is to get into. They mostly want recognizable voices, or want to hire from the small circle of people who are already involved.

but its also ridiculously cutthroat and requires a shitload of luck and contacts to get into successfully. GL.

Welcome to basically any creative industry!

All the jobs seem appealing, so there is a HUGE amount of competition, which means only the talented, dedicated, and lucky, will find success. Whether its acting, music, art, or being an athlete, it's basically the same story. There's a massive pool of hopeful prospects, and only the cream of the crop will find much success.

I'm a professional actor and I've done a little bit of voice work, but not much. Here's my advice; practice, practice, practice. Get good. Do this first. There is no point trying to get anywhere if you're not good, or at least able to do the job. Because there are many, many people out there who ARE good already, so why would you ever get the job before them of your not good too?

To get good at voice work, you need to develop your voice. Do vocal exercises every day. Work on your breath control, vocal dexterity (diction) and your tone control (pitch etc). Accent work would probably be a good idea too. It would also help to take some acting lessons. After all, you're still acting, but only using your voice to convey everything, which you could argue is actually harder. You should also practice reading things aloud from a script. This will be very important for commercial work, which is the majority of the work available for voice artists. Sure, everyone wants to be voicing animated films etc, but you'll probably be auditioning for more toothpaste ads than actual acting jobs. Especially at first.

Then, once you feel like you have some skills to offer, approach some voice acting agents. There's plenty of them out there. They'll probably want you to record a show reel so they can hear what you're good at and so they can put you forward for jobs and try to get you auditions.

If you get an agent, then you'll start auditioning and you've officially begun... At the very bottom of the ladder. And in order to climb you just need to keep working on your skills, try to make connections, keep an eye out for work (even if it's unpaid at first), and just persevere.

It can be daunting and tempting to give up, but literally the only way to succeed is to keep going. So you do. After all, SOMEONE is going to get that work.. And it could be you.

Type out an example for the Sherbros then we’ll grade your voice over performance.

I had a friend who has done it for quite a few video games. Haven't talked to him in awhile though. He lives in San Diego. He had kind of a soft high pitched voice and could do men or women.

Welcome to basically any creative industry!

All the jobs seem appealing, so there is a HUGE amount of competition, which means only the talented, dedicated, and lucky, will find success. Whether its acting, music, art, or being an athlete, it's basically the same story. There's a massive pool of hopeful prospects, and only the cream of the crop will find much success.

I'm a professional actor and I've done a little bit of voice work, but not much. Here's my advice; practice, practice, practice. Get good. Do this first. There is no point trying to get anywhere if you're not good, or at least able to do the job. Because there are many, many people out there who ARE good already, so why would you ever get the job before them of your not good too?

To get good at voice work, you need to develop your voice. Do vocal exercises every day. Work on your breath control, vocal dexterity (diction) and your tone control (pitch etc). Accent work would probably be a good idea too. It would also help to take some acting lessons. After all, you're still acting, but only using your voice to convey everything, which you could argue is actually harder. You should also practice reading things aloud from a script. This will be very important for commercial work, which is the majority of the work available for voice artists. Sure, everyone wants to be voicing animated films etc, but you'll probably be auditioning for more toothpaste ads than actual acting jobs. Especially at first.

Then, once you feel like you have some skills to offer, approach some voice acting agents. There's plenty of them out there. They'll probably want you to record a show reel so they can hear what you're good at and so they can put you forward for jobs and try to get you auditions.

If you get an agent, then you'll start auditioning and you've officially begun... At the very bottom of the ladder. And in order to climb you just need to keep working on your skills, try to make connections, keep an eye out for work (even if it's unpaid at first), and just persevere.

It can be daunting and tempting to give up, but literally the only way to succeed is to keep going. So you do. After all, SOMEONE is going to get that work.. And it could be you.

It's not a great industry to get into in general. I can do accents, I've done standup and plays, trained as an actor. Whatever. If I had enough of my own money to produce stuff that would be one thing. But otherwise; show business is a scumbag magnet.

Did you work for a Game Developer in KL?
Almost. It was an elearning company. What I meant was I almost worked for a game company after my contract with the former company ended. They gave me an offer but I opted to go back home. Still kicking myself for passing their offer.

Back