Anyone here into Voice Acting?

Almost. It was an elearning company. What I meant was I almost worked for a game company after my contract with the former company ended. They gave me an offer but I opted to go back home. Still kicking myself for passing their offer.

My good buddy has a Game Dev studio in Bangsar South district in KL. Just wondering if it was a small world.

My good buddy has a Game Dev studio in KL. Just wondering if it was a small world.
Maybe. It was in Subang Jaya. Outside of KL. I didn't apply as a voice actor btw, I was a multimedia designer that applied as a character designer.

Seems like it would be fun, while still a challenge. I'd like to get into. The extra money would be a perk, but I'd be willing to volunteer my services starting out.

Anyone here do this or onow someone who does?
It's something I'm interested in and I'm okay at, but I couldn't do it professionally. Having a higher-pitched voice helps, especially for a female. Females with high voices can play women, young girls, young boys, etc. For guys, it also helps to have a higher voice or more of a booming baritone/bass voice. Most guys are kind of caught in between.

Seems like it would be fun, while still a challenge. I'd like to get into. The extra money would be a perk, but I'd be willing to volunteer my services starting out.

Anyone here do this or onow someone who does?

My wife did it professionally from the time that she was two years old until she was graduated from high school. She was also a commercial actress/model, performed in musical theater & was a ballet dancer. But it was her voice work that brought her the most amount of work, success & money,

She & her older sister had an agent that got them a lot of work singing, dancing & acting throughout SoCal when they were toddlers which led them to an audition for the role of Fievel in the '80s animated classic AN AMERICAN TALE & my wife came very close to being chosen for it but in the end, they felt that she was just too young for the workload. But it led her to a lot of other work in cartoons, movies & commercials.

Because she's bilingual & speaks fluent Spanish ( she was tutored in it by her nanny/housekeeper from infancy ) much of her work was doing both English to Spanish & Spanish to English dubbing for American & Mexican children's programs & animated shows.

One of her best-known gigs throughout SoCal though was her being the voice of the Knott's Berry Farm for years back in the '80s & '90s. She did the voice-overs & sang the jingle on the TV commercials & radio spots both in English & the Spanish versions. From that work alone she was able to buy a new Beamer as her first car when she turned 16. She also did a lot of work for auto dealerships, grocery stores & a plethora of other sorts of businesses throughout SoCal.

She decided to stop all her performance work to focus on her studies though after she graduated from the Orange County High School of the Arts at 17. She got a full ride to Chapman University where she began studying to become a teacher like her mother who's a college professor. But after a couple of years there she decided to get into the medical field instead & now she's a lead mental health counselor at a private rehab clinic for girls & women with eating disorders.

So, yeah, it can be a very lucrative occupation if one becomes a success at it. But it takes connections, the proper kind of representation &, of course, talent to do so.

It's something I'm interested in and I'm okay at, but I couldn't do it professionally. Having a higher-pitched voice helps, especially for a female. Females with high voices can play women, young girls, young boys, etc. For guys, it also helps to have a higher voice or more of a booming baritone/bass voice. Most guys are kind of caught in between.
90% of what I did were middle-school voice. The most memorable and hilarious was an old british man reading an announcement in bahasa. Basically the Robert Downey in Tropic Thunder of voice acting.

images

Thanks for the input and insights, sherbros. No way I'll ever be a pro, but I'd like to have some stuff that's "official" that I can be proud of.

It's not a great industry to get into in general. I can do accents, I've done standup and plays, trained as an actor. Whatever. If I had enough of my own money to produce stuff that would be one thing. But otherwise; show business is a scumbag magnet.
Basically true. There are plenty of good people, but the cut throat often rise.

Plus there's such a small chance for success, and it's so dependent on luck, that there's no way to argue its a smart career choice.

However, many of the experiences I've had as an actor have been incredible and well worth the pain.

<Fedor23>

Basically true. There are plenty of good people, but the cut throat often rise.

Plus there's such a small chance for success, and it's so dependent on luck, that there's no way to argue its a smart career choice.

However, many of the experiences I've had as an actor have been incredible and well worth the pain.

<Fedor23>

It’s a hell of a world. I’m glad you’re into it and having fun

Back